Buck Mountain Trail

Buck Mountain Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pilot Knob, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The first mile of the hike is on a primarily wide trail with a slight grade. There is an intersection that leads to several other summits not too far in - be sure to maintain your trail markers. The descent through mile 2 becomes steeper and has rocky sections with a few easy stream crossings. The views slowly start to come during the last mile or so of the hike as the canopy recedes and the rocky scrambles begin. Some of the scrambles may require a hands on approach so car should be taken with the younger hikers. The view from the summit is well worth the hike. Tons of blueberries near the summit in early summer. Tend to go fast due to heavy foot traffic that same time of year.

I had run a few miles in the morning prior to this hike so it was probably a bit harder than normal. We got caught in a rain storm from the moment we went to descend. We ran 75% of the way down praying we didn't sprain an ankle. Beautiful view at the top. Challenging climb for sure.

tough but beautiful.

Hiked on Fathers Day and loved the views. Mile 3 was the toughest bring some water for the top.

First real hike in 30 yrs and it kicked my butt. The summit was so worth it and amazing. It goes to prove hard work is worth it and this hike has sparked my interest to hike more. Also so many nice people on the trail.

Hiked Buck last Saturday, what a hike! Definitely tough in many places, had to take several short breaks. The trail is beautiful and very well kept/marked. I would recommend!

Challenging hike, beautiful views, Lots of water features, Rocky terrain and steep inclines. The trail was well marked. A hike my fiance and I will never forget, since I proposed at the top and she said yes.....

Great trail with amazing views at the summit.