Buck Mountain Trail

Buck Mountain Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pilot Knob, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1958 feet

The first mile of the hike is on a primarily wide trail with a slight grade. There is an intersection that leads to several other summits not too far in - be sure to maintain your trail markers. The descent through mile 2 becomes steeper and has rocky sections with a few easy stream crossings. The views slowly start to come during the last mile or so of the hike as the canopy recedes and the rocky scrambles begin. Some of the scrambles may require a hands on approach so car should be taken with the younger hikers. The view from the summit is well worth the hike. Tons of blueberries near the summit in early summer. Tend to go fast due to heavy foot traffic that same time of year.

Very nice, beautiful view! I would do it again! Didn't thought it was hard, perhaps moderate.

great trail and the view at the summit is amazing.

Beautiful day we could see about 60 miles clear to Albany and the high peaks as well as Vermont

All you could ask for in a great hike: Scenery, challenging terrain, amazing views throughout and the reward at the summit does not disappoint.

Beautiful spot, especially in the fall.

Our go-to training hike for the High Peaks. Good day and not wet, although there was evidence of heavy runoff on trail. Fall colors were muted.

A lot of rocks and hills but the view at the top is totally worth it!! I recommend it!

The trail was beautiful! So many different colored leaves and nice weather. I did this hike for my Sunday Funday and it took about 4 hours total. Challenging enough I took a nice nap at the top too haha. Worth the view! Would definitely recommend.

Great hike. Easy at first then more and more challenging. Nice views at the top. Took us 3 hours (we are slow)

Beautiful day and beautiful views! You think you’ve reached the top but after a slight rest, keep going! I would rate this moderate and not hard. There was only a couple of difficult points but pretty steady.

Beautiful hike with amazing views all around the summit. I would rate this as moderate, not hard. Does get steep for the last 1/2 mile, but not technical at all. I highly recommend this if in the Lake George area.

Great trail that gets tougher toward the summit. Awesome views of Lake George. There are a lot of hikers on this trail and we shared the summit views with maybe 20 of them. There is a false summit so keep going!

The trail was a little tough at times, but the view from the summit was well worth it!

True to descriptions. Great view and you will definitely get a great work out. Bring water and wear good shoes.

Only rating this a two because this is not a hike I see myself doing again - though it is nice to have this completed towards the Adirondack Fire Tower Challenge! I hiked this September 13, 2016 with some friends of mine and am just now downloading this app - hence the late review. :-) It was neat to find random garnet in different spots and sit and take in the view. It was also rewarding to think we made it to the "summit" and come to find out by hiking a little more...there was another view!

Short and very sweet!!

Amazing views 3 hour round trip hike

Always a fun hike. Great views.

Beautiful

two spectacular views at the top. a winter hike is also beautiful.