Buck Mountain Trail

Buck Mountain Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pilot Knob, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1988 feet

The first mile of the hike is on a primarily wide trail with a slight grade. There is an intersection that leads to several other summits not too far in - be sure to maintain your trail markers. The descent through mile 2 becomes steeper and has rocky sections with a few easy stream crossings. The views slowly start to come during the last mile or so of the hike as the canopy recedes and the rocky scrambles begin. Some of the scrambles may require a hands on approach so car should be taken with the younger hikers. The view from the summit is well worth the hike. Tons of blueberries near the summit in early summer. Tend to go fast due to heavy foot traffic that same time of year.

Great hike! There were a few steep parts which really made me work but overall very doable and even more rewarding!

Definately a great hike! Challenging and rewarding all the same! High Peaks here we come!

Great Hike. Extremely icy during the winter months, microspikes are an absolute requirement

Very nice, beautiful view! I would do it again! Didn't thought it was hard, perhaps moderate.

great trail and the view at the summit is amazing.

Beautiful day we could see about 60 miles clear to Albany and the high peaks as well as Vermont

All you could ask for in a great hike: Scenery, challenging terrain, amazing views throughout and the reward at the summit does not disappoint.

Beautiful spot, especially in the fall.

Our go-to training hike for the High Peaks. Good day and not wet, although there was evidence of heavy runoff on trail. Fall colors were muted.

A lot of rocks and hills but the view at the top is totally worth it!! I recommend it!

The trail was beautiful! So many different colored leaves and nice weather. I did this hike for my Sunday Funday and it took about 4 hours total. Challenging enough I took a nice nap at the top too haha. Worth the view! Would definitely recommend.

Great hike. Easy at first then more and more challenging. Nice views at the top. Took us 3 hours (we are slow)

Beautiful day and beautiful views! You think you’ve reached the top but after a slight rest, keep going! I would rate this moderate and not hard. There was only a couple of difficult points but pretty steady.

Beautiful hike with amazing views all around the summit. I would rate this as moderate, not hard. Does get steep for the last 1/2 mile, but not technical at all. I highly recommend this if in the Lake George area.

Great trail that gets tougher toward the summit. Awesome views of Lake George. There are a lot of hikers on this trail and we shared the summit views with maybe 20 of them. There is a false summit so keep going!

The trail was a little tough at times, but the view from the summit was well worth it!

True to descriptions. Great view and you will definitely get a great work out. Bring water and wear good shoes.

Only rating this a two because this is not a hike I see myself doing again - though it is nice to have this completed towards the Adirondack Fire Tower Challenge! I hiked this September 13, 2016 with some friends of mine and am just now downloading this app - hence the late review. :-) It was neat to find random garnet in different spots and sit and take in the view. It was also rewarding to think we made it to the "summit" and come to find out by hiking a little more...there was another view!

Short and very sweet!!

Amazing views 3 hour round trip hike

Always a fun hike. Great views.

Beautiful

two spectacular views at the top. a winter hike is also beautiful.

Steep incline made for a good cardio workout with amazing views

The trailhead/parking is easily seen by the big sign on road. The trail was nice and wide and well marked. There are some little rivers on the way so my pup got to cool off and drink which was nice. The views up top are remarkable. Make sure you check out all 3 look outs.

We had a great time hiking this. The hike started off pretty easy but once it became steep, it was REALLY steep. Great views of the lake at the top!

This is a great half day hike- short enough to do in an afternoon (and not too far of a drive) but long enough and difficult enough to get a great workout. Views from the top (both the big rock facing Lake George and the actual summit) were beautiful. The first half of the uphill was not very challenging- second half had some steep inclines and rocky sections. I was glad to have boots and trekking poles. It took me about 1 hour 40 to reach the top (at a fairly slow pace) but because of the steep upper section it took me a while to come back down. I totaled around 4 hours including a nice break at the top. -1 star for lots of bugs and lots of people. I imagine an early morning start would help with both of these.

If you know how to pace yourself you can do it as a beginner. It is uphill the entire time. This trail is not great for senior dogs.

A rainy spring + enough sunshine = LOTS of mud (!), but an EPIC blueberry year! Come get 'em while they last!

very hard for me an out of shape beginner. took 4hrs up and 2 hrs down from pilot knob. took 3 days to recover. If you've never hiked before pick an easier Mt hiking poles are a must and plenty of water and snacks. My knees and legs were so sore. anyway I took on the challenge and slammed it! success