Buck Mountain Trail

Buck Mountain Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pilot Knob, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The first mile of the hike is on a primarily wide trail with a slight grade. There is an intersection that leads to several other summits not too far in - be sure to maintain your trail markers. The descent through mile 2 becomes steeper and has rocky sections with a few easy stream crossings. The views slowly start to come during the last mile or so of the hike as the canopy recedes and the rocky scrambles begin. Some of the scrambles may require a hands on approach so car should be taken with the younger hikers. The view from the summit is well worth the hike. Tons of blueberries near the summit in early summer. Tend to go fast due to heavy foot traffic that same time of year.

Beautiful hike. Very nice trail. Very dog and kid friendly. ~7 mile to the summit and back. View from the top is amazing. Nice place to eat lunch.

Hiked from Pilot Knob to Buck Mountain. RT 6.4 miles in 4:23 minutes. The summit was so beautiful that we had lunch and stayed about 20 minutes. The views of Lake George were outstanding. The trail was snow packed and icy, so the microspikes were wonderful on the way in. The sun was strong and the temperature rose to 40 degrees, so some of the icy and snow melted for the descent, but we still used our microspikes. Although the trail had a couple of steep sections, there was no need for use of hands.

Inman pond trail - buck peak

Okay so today was my 1 year anniversary of hiking in the Adirondacks. I never hiked a thing before (that means literally not one hike anywhere EVER!) I don't really even remember why I started in the first place. Nevertheless, the fever was and still is on. I haven't hiked any of the highest or hardest ones yet. I finished my starting year with 13 peaks, 6 high peaks, 6 firetowers, and today's Buck Mountain. I'd heard the trail was fairly easy. I needed a quick fix because I didn't leave work until about 10:15am and nothing is really close by. 40 minutes later I was at the Pilot Knob Buck Mountain trailhead. I am a notoriously slow hiker and generally have a hard time figuring out how fast/ far I'm going but today was all business. "Let's see how fast you really can walk after all" I thought to myself. I had a pair of Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra's that needed to be broken in and evaluated. They performed perfectly the entire trip, no slips, no falls, straight confidence. Started off at 11:22am. Very sloshy & wet today. Lots of things melting. Kind of miserable actually but I was very happy to just be out on this particular day. The pace was what I would've called decent. Reached the summit just shy of 2 hours at about 1:20pm. I was excited to have posted a good time for my slow self. I was surprised at how steep it actually was near the top. I couldn't help but think "oh this is gonna be fun on the way down!" Hung out on summit for about 10 minutes and then decided to get on with it. Came down off some really slippery, half packed, half melted snow that was a concern and couldn't have been happier. The Hillsound Ultra (18 points) worked even more efficiently than I had anticipated and never slipped once. Took tons of pics, saw absolutely no one and had the summit all to myself. Same as my maiden Cascade hike last year. Always a plus. Made it back to the parking lot at about 3:15pm. To me this was more than fine. Maybe even my fastest pace yet. I know that may sound silly to some but it's real progress for me. Took me all day last year to do Cascade. Ive taken many other trips where I posted less than stellar times. Either way, all in all, it was a GREAT day!!! I'm so happy to have discovered this world. The feelings of accomplishment are among some of my favorites. I'm sure many of you will see me on the trail someday. When you do I'm sure I'll have to kindly step aside and let some of your speed demons by. No brag whatsoever but this kid has come a long way from being thirsty & sweaty in a cheap full bib, out of water with MSR Evo 22's he's never even used before moving along at less than a snails pace. Lol. All I have to do now is hike at least 14 this year and I'm good. My starting goal is going to be 20 peaks. Thank you all for listening or reading. Today was a special day for me this year and last year! Apparently I'm going to be taking off February 8th annually. :)

Hiked this in early February. It was about mid 20s for the temperature and the trail was snow packed. I started at the shelving rock trailhead. The first third was easy with a couple small inclines but mostly flat. The middle third started getting my heart pumping with more moderate inclines. The last third was the hikers equivalent of a root canal. I kept having to stop and catch my breath every couple of minutes. This could be attributed to the fact that I had Chinese the night before and a coffee, banana and granola bar the day of. Probably not the smartest pre-hike diet I've ever done but even if I did everything right, it still would have been a workout. Summit was cold and windy, as they typically are. Didn't stay long because of it. Not sure the reward was worth the hike in this instance. Maybe I'll tackle it in summertime. Dead tired now. Goodnight

very nice hike....

Late fall hike with my wife and dog. Perfect hike. Strenuous but not overwhelming. Tricky hike down with the leaves. Glad to have poles. View from the false peak and from the peak are fantastic. Tremendous bang for the buck.

great hike for a half a day. cold and windy up top be prepared

Get prepared to walk through the woods. It's mainly a steady incline to the summit. There are some steep parts but nothing too overwhelming. There are no clearings until you reach the rocky summit. There are a few different look out spots, one facing lake George to the south, one facing west and one facing lake George to the north.

Overall it's a peaceful quiet walk into what seems like the deep woods. It's not overly challenging if you keep at a steady pace.

10.5 miles RT (22,000 steps) from the Pilot Knob entrance to the Summit. Took about 6 hours, moving pretty constantly, stopping briefly to breathe, cool off, guzzle down water and a small snack. This is on the difficult side of moderate -- but well worth the time and the scramble.

I wish I'd brought hiking sticks and more water (a gallon would have been perfect!) Layers are important as it's chilly under the cover, but you are really working hard as you climb and you will get hot. You must have good, sturdy, hiking shoes because the trail is very rocky and it's easy to twist your ankle or knees without the support. There are some great, relatively easy parts and then some areas where you have to strategically weave across the rocks as they are steep -- and remember what goes up must come down. Just when you think you are there -- you aren't. You have at least another hour or so of increasingly steep climbing. But the view from the summit is something to behold and cherish. It really is quite spectacular.

Do leave early in the morning if you are doing this hike in Fall and want to take your time to enjoy it all. It gets dark by 5:33-6:00 -- and while the trail is well-marked, you will need a flashlight to see in front of you.

I would not recommend the 10 mile trip for adults with balance issues or for those with really young kids.

This mountain is no joke! If you are not a serious hiker it's not for the faint of heart!