Breakneck Ridge Trail to Wilkinson Trail Via Bypass Trail

Breakneck Ridge Trail to Wilkinson Trail Via Bypass Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cornwall Landing, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Really fun in the snow! BOOTS REQUIRED. Seriously. It's not a particularly dangerous hike, but because it's granite all the way up, any ice is hard to spot until you're slipping on it.

One of my favorites!

Great bouldering - bring your A game. Once you make the flag pole the trail becomes easier. Incredible view. Our 10 year olds love it.

Lots of rock scrambling and great views. You work hard for the reward and the endorphin high at the top is fantastic!

This hike is challenging but so worth it!!

Very fun ascent given all the rock scrambles. descent got a bit monotonous given it was a lot of steep down stepping. highly recommended for the amazing views that you get pretty immediately after beginning and getting 1/4 of the way through the hike.

Had to cut it short but will be back to do the rest. Great trail.

Completed this hike in the pouring rain..one good point I had the trail to myself instead of having dozens of people around me. Bad points...views were obscured by fog..and I wanted to complete the Ridge loop but had to take the shorter route because of the weather. Nevertheless I was grateful for the peace and quiet with an empty trail and also grateful for the Scarlet Tanager, one of my favorite birds, landed on a tree directly in front of me. Climb up was certainly a bit more challenging in the rain. Made the best of an off day from work

make sure to start from the South entrance to the trail. Thats where the steep part is. I definitely prefer to climb the steep rocks and then descend gradually. Great time!

Love a good scramble, this was challenging and nicely rewarding. We did the loop, the second half of which is an easy walk in the woods. My group would have preferred to go the steep way back down, but this cremnophobic only scrambles in one direction. (Up and hugging the everloving crap out of the wall.)

Fun trail

My friends and I completed only the Wilkinson Trail portion up to Sugarloaf Mountain and then the same way back, which was moderate-to-hard in severity with some steep rocky inclines. We probably would have died had we gone on the whole Breakneck Ridge Trail LOL... so this is an excellent option for people who are less intense about hiking, but still want a good workout and an INCREDIBLE view. Definitely recommend and would return!

Definitely a heavy steep but well worth the hike. Something I would do again.

Amazing scenic views, bring tons of water, be prepared to hike. It's a difficult hike but you could do it. 9.5/10

This is a fantastic hike. The rock scramble start is challenging, but with many breathtaking views of the Hudson.
Once you arrive at the top, the ridge portion is a welcomed change of pace - also with amazing views. The descent is pretty steep.
I would certainly do this again.......

2nd time I went there and it’s worth it...