Breakneck Ridge Trail to South Beacon Mountain

Breakneck Ridge Trail to South Beacon Mountain is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Beacon, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,123 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

partially paved

Note: The Breakneck Ridge trail is temporarily closed due to a rock fall. Other trails in the area are open. Visit https://parks.ny.gov/parks/9/hunting.aspx for more information. Breakneck Ridge is a scenic mountain with rocky cliffs along the Hudson River between Beacon and Cold Spring in New York. The parking area is at the Breakneck Ridge Train Station off route 9d and the trailhead can be accessed at the southern end of the lot. This is a great hike for views of the Hudson River and Storm King Mountain across the water. This hike can easily be shortened by turning back earlier, or made into a loop using one of the other trails in the area. Check out the nearby trails for other options!

Great workout and though the scramble up isn’t terribly difficult it is challenging and goes on and on for a solid hour. Definitely need to use both hands and feet... back pack needed to carry water.

7/17/19 BEE AWARE.... I took breakneck up to firetower and on the way out I decided to take yellow trail. About 2 miles in from the trailhead there’s a yellow jacket hive almost off the trail (just enough that you don’t notice until you’re on top of it.) Use extreme caution & if you’re allergic DO NOT take yellow. As soon as I saw it (approx 5 feet) I turned and immediately heard buzzing. I ran but I got stung on my back a few times.

Had an amazing hike in the morning around 9:30am with my brother here. We took the long loop (3 hours) and enjoyed the whole experience with the extensive views of the Hudson. I highly recommend bringing lots of water, a snack like an apple, and apply plenty of sunscreen! It’s best to go early morning on a week day because there is less traffic. The rock scramble especially in the beginning isn’t too difficult, just be careful where you step and it’s best to have someone spot you which brings me to my next point; I suggest you hike this trail with a buddy. I was able to complete the hike in regular converse shoes, but at certain points I needed some spotting because I had no grip and needed to use certain parts of the rocks that I couldn’t see, but my brother could. It’s an intense hike so I don’t suggest you bring small children or pets. This trail opens eye to preserving our environment and represents the history of the Hudson. The trek up and down is something that feels so rewarding and amazing in the end!

I would recommend this trail to anyone. We went last Saturday; Its a bit rocky at times but it’s awesome as workout, and the views are breathtaking. Loved every part we went too. I did this hike in November last year and the fall views were awesome, nevertheless in summer is beautiful. We did it in a 90 degree weather and it wasn’t too bad. Loved it...loved it...loved it!!! Will definitely go again!!

This is a challenging hike on a hot summer day. There's lot of traffic for the Breakneck loop, but once past that, it's quiet. Excellent views. This is the toughest hike you can find in the lower Hudson, particularly if you can do out and back to Beacon from Breakneck ridge trail.

Great down state trail. Had just enough challenge and gave an incredible view of the Hudson. After the first part of bouldering - it gets much easier. Was a lotta fun.

My slowest time yet. Weather in the 90's. No water bottle.

Get to trail very early to avoid the crowds. Tough but enjoyed the challenge and the views.

it was quite hard. I've never done a trail like this but I'd definitely do it again. it was like rock climbing! lol views were pretty good. mostly of the Hudson.

My friend and I did this almost two weeks ago. I’m starting to get back into hiking, hiking about 2 days out of the week ( so you can get a sense of experience) and I found this trail tough but more than manageable. The first part is a complete steep rock scramble, more than I imagined. It’s tough and pretty scary if you’re not used to the sort of thing but in no way was it technical or impossible. Just take your time and watch your step. Beautiful views. Bring plenty of water. Honestly the most fun hike I’ve done this year.

As you begin the hike it let's you know off the bat what you're in for. The trail is properly marked the views going up are definitely amazing and worth it but be warned if you're a novice hiker like me it definitely challenges you mentally and physically. Best advice start early, keep hydrated and go with a friend if you can.

I definitely did not know what to expect with this trail but it turned out to be one of the best hikes of my life. I had nothing besides a water bottle and I believe it took me an 1-2 hours to make it to the first checkpoint where the flags are. Its very challenging and theres a lot of full body climbing but the view is breathtaking. I would suggest bringing some supplies like plenty of water, snacks and toilet paper if you plan on doing the entire trail (turns out the spot where the flags are is only the beginning and theres a lot more climbing you can do from that point) also wear the right shoes of course because there are spots where you can slip easily. Overall I would do this trail again no doubt but I would come earlier and more prepared.

I would recommend this trail for anyone who wants to challenge themselves. Take the harder route, it was worth it. The climb was intense- sometimes I had to use my entire body in order to climb up some of the rocks. The views are absolutely amazing. This is not a hike for “social media” purposes. Put the phone away and enjoy the great outdoors. There are some really cool abandoned looking houses along the red trail going down. A fun exploration.

This trail is tough but worth the climb! It’s very rocky, make sure you wear the right boots, no sneakers or regular shoes!

Lovely trail, challenging at some spots but really lovely (totally agreed with previous reviewers - start at 8AM is a must to avoid the crowds). The trail is OPEN :-)

Great hike, well marked, gorgeous views. The first mile is all scramble and steep. If you’re going on a weekend, get there no later than 8am to avoid the crowds, many of which are clueless. I only experienced them on the way back. Challenging, not for beginners, bring plenty of water.

Bringing plenty of water. Amazing views. I’m novice level and found it challenging.

New PR: finished the 2-hr trail in less than 0:45. Note to self: temperature in the 70's, sunny, and did not bring a water bottle.