Breakneck Ridge Trail to South Beacon Mountain

Breakneck Ridge Trail to South Beacon Mountain is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Beacon, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

partially paved

Breakneck Ridge is a scenic mountain with rocky cliffs along the Hudson River between Beacon and Cold Spring in New York. The parking area is at the Breakneck Ridge Train Station off route 9d and the trailhead can be accessed at the southern end of the lot. This is a great hike for views of the Hudson River and Storm King Mountain across the water. This hike can easily be shortened by turning back earlier, or made into a loop using one of the other trails in the area. Check out the nearby trails for other options!

I did this hike Dec 23rd. I took the white trail up . I made the mistake of carrying extra pack weight as I am training for Washington. Most of the rock scrambles on the way up had ice on them. Some of the ice wasn’t even visible . Picking which way to climb up was a struggle . I would often start up a rock then have to slide down and go another way due to slipping on ice . I am a avid hiker . This is a great trail . All trails has been rating trails as hard that are not actually hard though. It made me underestimate the scramble on this path. Use caution taking this trail in the winter and use a hiking buddy for help . I was solo and didn’t have anybody to spot me in case of a slip. I did bail out earlier than I was wanting to due to fear of more ice ahead of me. I want to try it again in the spring . The views are stunning.

Definitely worth the crazy hike on the white trail. I climbed on Nov 11th when the fall trees were nearing its end (but still glorious). So I definitely recommend going for the hike MUCH sooner when the peak of fall can be experienced. Not for the faint-hearted so make sure you wear comfortable hiking shoes. Hiking sticks would have also been a game-changer when descending the trail. All the leaves were gorgeous on the ground but didn’t make the climb down any easier. All in all, definitely worth the hike!

As everyone else says, the first bit is intense! Wear good boots and be ready to use your hands. A lot.

No one else on the trail on a chilly November afternoon.

We tried to take the first trail to the left about a mile up to get back to the road. Could not find the trail, even though the app says we crossed it two times!

A great day out.

This hike gets crowded on weekends, as many city folk can take Metro-North right to the trailhead. The map shows this as an out-and-back trail, but there is a loop back to 9D that doesn’t have you traverse back down the rock climb (take the white trail to the red markers- you will see a sign that tells you to head left back to 9D/parking lot). I did this hike in November, and there was snow-ice at the top, but it was not too bad.
There are four peaks, each a better view than the last. Climbing up to the first peak is the most difficult, but the views are unparalleled.
Wear good treds with ankle support!

Very crowded

The trail itself is awesome, especially the first 1.5 miles. But the crowds are out of control.

If you’re heavy or out of shape this will be a difficult hike for you. The first 1.25 mile is a 75 degree rock scramble where you are literally on your fours the entire time. It’s exhilarating if you’re a regular hiker. I hiked all the way up to the fire tower on the white trail & it is totally worth it.

Do not come back on the yellow trail - that adds another 6 mile to your hike most of it downhill.

Great workout. Did the trail to the tower and back on the yellow trail. 10 miles, but so worth it. Was a gorgeous day. From the top of breakneck to the fire tower I did not come across any other people, but I did start at 7:40. The yellow trail coming back was quite wet from all the rain we had, but very pretty with the fall colors and the running streams. This was my first time doing the yellow trail on this side of the mountain and I had to back track a few times to find the yellow markers and use my GPS. So if this is your first time, be on the lookout for yellow markers. Well worth it, but it's quite a workout.

Worth doing again and again and again.

Breathtaking hike. Except that it’s no joke. It’s as hard as it gets with great rewarding views! You might think you are done but it is a long stretch of rock scrambling. I did the white trail and then red trail which then led to a waterfall immediately after which there was the yellow trail.

Love LOVE this trail. Such a great workout. Can be very difficult if your are not used to resistance or using your knees, pulling yourself up. The views up here are breath taking. I enjoy it mostly in the fall. The best part is visiting silver spoon for an amazing meal in cold springs

Had an awesome time. The white trail is a rock climbing at first, very challenging but for me it felt easy and fun. My first hike and out of shape but enjoyed it and I lead the way al the time :), it can be done!! Trail is well marked and easy to follow, even after a rainy day the hike was great and fun!! Views were breathtaking and will do it again and again! Fall views are amazing!!! Loved it!!

Breakneck more than deserves its positive reputation. The trail is extremely well marked and its accessibility via public transportation is amazing. It can be more or less challenging depending on the routes you pick, and while some hiking experience would be helpful, I think most moderately fit people could do it with ease. Definitely wear shoes with a good tread too, especially if you go in the fall when the leaves are down. Overall an awesome hike!

Still one of my favorite day hikes in the area.

Some really great views! Hell of a climb up and down though. I've done it twice so far. 100% wanna go again.

Lots of rock scrambling and the views are completely spectacular. One of the best hikes in the NY area.

It was amazing experience.

The best I’ve been at

awesome steep climb. Only bring your dog is he's a good climber. One of my favorite hikes!!

Great hike. Challenging. Be in shape!

Map indicates going up and returning on the white trail. Best to return on the yellow trail. Trail maps were available at the start of the trail, just before the car tunnel.

It is a little strenuous but the views are amazing. The fall colors are just starting and in about two weeks, it will be wonderful! It was a beauty day for hiking today. There were so many people on the mountain, it was unbelievable!

This was my first hike and pretty challenging for a newbie. #1TIP wear comfortable shoes and clip toe nails beforehand. The incline and decline on the rocks will do a number on your feet. Sunday morning hike (9 am) didn't see much of a crowd. The trail is about 1.5 hours from New York on the Metro North(BEACON STATION). You'll need to take a cab ride from station to trail roughly (5 mins). The view and experience is well worth the hike.

Steep and Rocky. Great late afternoon hike to get the sunset against storm king.

Amazing views!! Go in a few weeks for an breathtaking view of Fall foliage!

Amazing elevation and breathtaking views. This trail has so much to offer depending on what color trail you choose. If you start off on the white near the train station it is very vertical for certain stretches. The difficulty is part of the fun! Take your time, be safe, enjoy the views and take pictures. You will never forget the views! Life changing!

Breath taking view but an extremely steep hike... at some points you're rock climbing which can be terrifying if this is first hike and you are afraid of heights. This is the most challenging hike trail I've done so far, I would recommend coming here early in the morning to beat the sun and the crowd and also wear sturdy with good grip since you will be rock climbing. I don't recommended this trail for dogs and children under the age of 10 if they are not very active and they are able to rock climb which would be difficult for them.Trial end is just a walk away from the start of the trail.

Rock scramble all the way up to the top. It’s by far the hardest but funnest hike closest to NYC. I don’t recommend this hike for dogs unless your comfortable your dog will stay with you and will not need help climbing. There are a lot of sections where you need your hands and legs to climb.

Richie said it was GREAT! Random guy took pictures of his back too. Great day

Beautiful hike with breathtaking view points. It was a beautiful day and therefore the trail was very crowded; it was almost a social gathering. One can do the full 8 miles trail, but we loop out after circa 5 miles. After the first 2 segments, most hikers loop out and the trail is quite empty.