Breakneck Ridge Trail

HARD 1,139 reviews

Breakneck Ridge Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Beacon, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

rock climbing

A popular destination for hikers looking to escape NYC, this short and difficult loop trail heads up Breakneck Ridge and winds down Wilkinson Memorial Trail, passing Sugarloaf Mountain on the descent. The trail includes some steep climbs and rock scrambles over ledges. Breakneck Ridge is a scenic mountain with rocky cliffs along the Hudson River between Beacon and Cold Spring in New York. The parking area is at the Breakneck Ridge Train Station off route 9d and the trailhead can be accessed at the southern end of the lot. This is a great hike for views of the Hudson River and Storm King Mountain across the water.

This hike was great, not too long and pretty steep. The views aren’t bad either. For being a train-accessible hike from the city, it wasn’t crowded at all! Unfortunate graffiti on the trail but overall nothing to complain about!

This trail was beyond awesome! We did this past Saturday. Lots of climbing and breathtaking views. The people were amazing which kept the trail relaxing.
I highly recommend this trail for exprinced hikers. I brought my pup and he was fine but we hike all the time and he has proper gear.
Bring lots of water, food, bug spray and sunscreen. Oh, and I a hat! I wish I brought one!!
Honestly, even if you have to stop and take a break there are spot where you can go off to the side and take a breather, without being in anyone's way.
Yes, I hike all the time but I'm a bit of a chuncky monkey and I made it all the way through.

Steep but fun scrambling. Tough on the knees on the way down. Leave you hiking poles at home for this one

Rock climbing type of course, very challenging but beautiful with views!

Hard hike in the beginning. Go up in elevation quickly, but it is well worth it. Great views of the Hudson River Valley, streams, small waterfalls, and an abandoned estate at the end. 3-4 hours of adventure

Good workout!!!! Gradual incline the first 2/3 the last 3rd is toughest part. Take your time going down I think going down the trail is more treacherous.

rock climbing

What a workout! love it.

Tough ascent but well worth it for the views from the top.

rock climbing

Spectacular views and challenges.

If you’re looking for high reward for hard work load look no further. Such beautiful scenery during the entire hike with awesome look out points. Get ready for stair master 2,000. This difficult rock scramble will get those legs and heart going with it’s long steep beginning. Relaxing end to the hike. If you follow the white trail you can stumble upon some teepees or you can follow the yellow to the red trail on the way down and discover an abandoned castle. Many dogs running all over this trail to keep you motivated. If you plan on bringing your dog make sure they have high stamina and ability to climb. Bring lots of water even though this one will probably only take you about 3 hours. Enjoy!

Fun and challenging although “dog friendly” meaning you can bring you dog I wouldn’t due to some brief but sheer climbs
Fun but busy with scenic views and many hikers

A steep start but leads to a lovely view of the river. One of my favorites!

Great hike, but super busy today! I would warn that while it says “dog friendly,” it’s only appropriate for dogs who are super good at scrambling up very steep rocks. Amazing views.

Very challenging, great hike. Crowded on the weekends, so if you can go during the week, that’s the time to do it.

Amazing hike and my daughter and I learned what rock scrambling is. Lol ❤️

Leave your rings at home... I didn't anticipate how much I would need to use my legs and hands to rock scramble as much as I did. The views were worth the hike. It was very busy with hikers (some blasting bluetooth speakers) so I wouldn't call this a peaceful place, but it is very accessible.

This is such a fun trail.

Great Autumn hike with views of the Hudson River. Hiked 4 times.

great hike!

This hike never gets old

Really challenging on the first half of uphill, but totally worth it. Would definitely do it again.

favorite trail!

Awesome “active recovery day” workout with amazing views!

Harder than expected, especially the steep scramble but downhill as well. We are not big hikers in general and typically stick to scenic walking trails so this was a bit more difficult for our skill level however it’s doable. Kids and dogs were doing it. Would come back for sure!

4/21/18- Fabulous Hike! Climbing Boulders. Beautiful day for a hike, temp was about 60 degrees and Sunny. Great for the Experienced Hiker. Took us just under 2 hours for up and back. Great views!
I HIGHLY Recommend this trail.

Great hike, a lot of rock scrambling! We took the breakneck trail and took a longer loop into the wilkinson trail. 4.5 hours total with 5-7 stops.

The hike is open as of today (4.21.2018) but might be closing for renovation soon.

Great hike to start off spring hiking. Recommend going earlier to avoid a lot of foot traffic, however even at 9am there were still a lot of people. Also, a ton of dogs on the trail. When you get to the first over look there is a lot of glass. Great hike over all!

We were blessed with 80 degrees weather this Saturday and decided to do this strenuous hike in this wonderful weather.
Had heard some news about the trail closing for renovation but it's not and someone was mentioning that it will be closing by the end of this month. Too bad

Update: the trails renovations have been set back and remains open. This is a hard trail do he prepared and please don’t leave any garbage along your hike and enjoy what it has to offer.

My first hike!! My buddy picked a doozy! That initial ascent....Wow! I thought “hike” meant “walk”. I got schooled but I’m glad for the experience.