Brace Mountain Trail

Brace Mountain Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Millerton, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

tiny two car parking lot, trail starts up gradually and increases in steepness quickly. at .3 miles, it becomes steep near a cascading waterfall. breathtaking! the next 1/4 mile is a bit of a scramble (though a relatively easy one) and can be dangerous if you're not paying attention. it's probably not wise to bring children on this trail as the cliffs are quite steep and the rocks are very jagged. the trail levels off and treks through the rocky woods. at around 1.4 miles a short side trail to the left brings you to a pristine little waterfall with a clear pool that looks a little bit like a fairy tale. a nice place for a water bottle refill or a foot soak. at 1.7 miles you reach south brace, that offers a nice view of riga lake just across the border in connecticut. but don't stop here all day. if you squint to the north you can see the cairn at the real summit of brace. it looks far, but it's only .2 miles further. a little downhill, then a little more uphill. the summit of brace is open and grassy. a windsock in the huge cairn marks it. take a nap, look up at the birds flying overhead, and enjoy the sunshine.

This trail is poorly marked , and not maintained. The way up is about a 1 mile vertical climb. very loose rock , and tons of leaves it also runs side by side with the waterfall that spills over on to the trail . with that being said the view at the top was amazing ...the way down was super dangerous and almost impossible at the yellow blazes. when we got down it was dark and other people were still stranded trying to get down. I've done at least 67 hikes in 8 different states. this was not fun .

It was a pretty technical trail. It is a well marked trail. We were a little disappointed that the water wasn't flowing because it has been too dry. The views from Brace Mountain are fantastic! A great place for a picnic lunch and to relax with friends! We had a great time and burned a lot of calories. I would recommend doing this hike!

I agree, I would rate this trail as difficult, and I am a marathon-distance runner with endurance and stamina to spare. From the beginning to a bit past the waterfall is somewhat strenuous, with elevation gains and uneven rock-some areas are quite a steep drop off and I would have been uncomfortable on the trail if the rock laden paths were wet from rain. It takes little more than a momentary lapse of judgement before you could find yourself in a very dangerous position. Though mostly the trail has very noticeable plastic markers nailed to trees, the trail in certain areas is not well marked due to its twisting nature and you can lose it if you are not paying attention.

However, the bald summit is beautiful on a warm day. Lay back and relax in the tall grass and allow the sun to dry the immense amount of sweat you made on the challenging hike up.

Don't fool yourself though-the hike down is arguably the harder part as it has areas that are steep and will keep you on your toes, so to speak, so be prepared and keep your wits about you. It's downright dangerous if you don't follow the cardinal rules of hiking. Don't do this trail with someone out of shape. Dogs seem to do ok, but I felt nervous for mine a few times. Bring water and snacks, keep cool and keep your cool.

Saw no rattlesnakes, but this was a Saturday and we saw a fair amount of other hikers to scare them off.

If I ever wanted to see the Brace summit again I'd probably take the Mt. Frissel trail instead.

Great hike, but I would categorize it as difficult. I'm a seasoned hiker that's done trails in 6 continents and I wouldn't go back onto this trail without hiking poles. There are sections of strenuous climbs and rock scrambling up, but they are far more technically challenging when descending back down. We saw no rattlesnakes in late August on a sunny day.

Really nice hike with a lot to see from a nice waterfall to nice views. Quite a bit more strenuous than I had thought it would be. The first 1.2 miles feels like 3 miles and there is some scrambling up very steep rocks. Was a bit more than I bargained for with a 2 yr old on my back but all in all a very nice hike.

Fantastic hike!! I have been on a lot of hikes and this one definitely tops as one of my favorite. There is about a quarter of a mile in the beginning that is quite steep but there is also a sign warning you. Was told this place was crawling with large venomous snakes, I never saw even one. Call my crazy but it would have been nice to see one, would have added even more to this trip. No bears either but plenty of Huckleberries and blueberries. Once you get to the waterfall (which unfortunately was pretty well dry), the fun begins. More steep climbs over some very impressive rocks. Then you eventually reach an area which seems to never end. Then there is the one giant rock pile signifying the summit is near. Just a few more minutes and boom, there are the amazing views and a rock pile with a flag letting you know you have reached the top of Brace Mtn. This was a very unique hike, a lot different then any other I have been on. I think that is why I liked it so much! This is a must do if you like a challenge, love climbing rocks similar to Breakneck, like seeing different terrain, feel like your in the middle of no where on an endless trail and then of course the amazing views.

My wife and I found this to be difficult trail, the beginning is very steep rise which definitely made us work. Once you get past the initial climb the trail follows a ridge and is easy (maybe that is why the moderate, an average...) The top peak was awesome and we made that our turning point, great view, we had a nice picnic and hung out there for a while. The parking area at the base can accommodate about 4 cars, with space along the road for more.

What an amazing view!!! At least 100 miles of the Hudson Valley is laid out before you...through my binoculars I viewed Ninham Mountain fire tower in Carmel to the south and Albany to the north. The Hudson Highlands, Shawangunks, Catskills and the Heldebergs are clearly visible as well. Moderate hike with some easy scrambling up, also staying aware is a must trail is poorly marked in areas and climb up can be dangerous as well. Can't recommend this hike enough

love this, a great adventure!

I've hiked this countless times it is by far one of my favorite hikes. The views are breathtaking and there's many other trails to other peaks. I've even hiked up with my one month old, it's a fairly easy hike only one part is difficult near the top. I would highly recommend it to bring kids on. I always go up through mt Riga it's much shorter and not challenging.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Great hike, highly recommend. Hike involves a little bit of climbing, but nothing that's too hard. Took the yellow trail to the white trail. Follow the white trail for about 40 mins to the peak.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Some steep climbing but mostly a walk through the woods and then some great views in all directions. Loved looking north to Mt Washington in the Berkshires. Up and back only takes a couple of hours altogether, unless you kick it at the summit or wherever.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Rough trail at one point wall climbing ... but the view is worth it and you hike south brace then brace mountain... kill two birds with one stone... if you're good or experienced go but bring someone ... i went by myself and all my trails but like one or two i have gone by myself ... love this stuff

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The views are definitely worth the climb. The first 0.8 miles is a very strenuous uphill/climb and I wouldn't recommend it for small children or those with debilitating health problems. I went in late August so the waterfall that others have been talking about wasn't there at all because it's so dry right now! The hike is a great workout and the 360 degree views of the hilly Hudson Valley, other Taconic peaks, and the Catskills in the distance are worth every step. The climbing up portion is tough but I actually was more nervous coming down because it's so steep, so take your time! I only saw two groups of two the whole trail so it feels like you have the woods to yourself. Really spectacular views and terrain change.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Tried it again today with my 8 year old. She couldn't make it past the initial ascent. Probably not for kids.

Friday, April 01, 2016

Just completed Brace Mountain today. It is somewhat challenging - once the initial ascent is finished the trail levels out. Awesome views, beautiful waterfall and streams. It was well marked in the wooded areas. Where there are no trees you have to look out for white blazes on the rocks. Don't mistake the white quartz in the rock surface for the blazes. Highly recommended.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Good challenging hike for sure! Trail was really steep at some parts; had to go on all fours to get past a couple of boulders. The trail is horrendously marked... I got lost maybe 6 or 7 times, and kept guessing on what was the actual trail/what was not. I don't recommend doing this hike when it is wet. I did it when it was dry and I slipped a few times. Also a few parts of the trail were really overgrown, but the views were great. Would I recommend this trail? I guess so! Would I do it again? Probably not.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

This was a challenging hike going up and coming down. The waterfall was ok, not a lot of water, need more rain. the view was worth hike... My only problem was finding the trail markings. Do not hike if it rained the night before, if it is raining, icy, or snowed.... if you do be very careful!

Saturday, April 25, 2015

I took my grandson here for a hike to the waterfalls. The beginning wasn't difficult but the farther up we went the steeper it got. The waterfalls were pretty nice. Then we thought of climbing to to the top and almost made it, but the steepness of the climb on the rocks scared my grandson. So we carefully made our way back down. - Brad

Thursday, April 09, 2015

One of the most challenging hikes I did as it was really cold and slippery going up and coming down. The view at the top was absolutely spectacular though...breathtaking. I'd love to do this one again but not the same way I went up and down the first time!