Learn more

Boulder Rock and Catskill Mountain House

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(43)
Kaaterskill Wild Forest

Boulder Rock and Catskill Mountain House is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hunter, New York that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 1.7 mi Elevation gain 298 ft Route type Loop

Over grown

Fee

Description
Waypoints (0)

There is a $10 parking fee for North or South Lake. Hikers may also park on the road but there is a $2 pedestrian fee.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (43)
Photos (140)
Recordings (44)
Completed (249)
Kara LaFleur
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 07 2020
Hiking

A little buggy but not overwhelmingly so. Went on a weekday, only saw a few people & most were wearing masks, most parts had room for distancing from others safely :)

View Kara's Recording
Ewa M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 21 2020
Hiking

Great hike. Beautiful views. Scutt road parking closed us to covid. Park in campground parking

View Ewa's Recording
Kevin Costanzo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 05 2020
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

Picked this up as part of a much longer hike. Hit the falls, inspiration point southern mountain, Boulder the lakes and the Mountain House. The park was closed for C-19 but we were able to walk in only parts of the trail are restricted. No big deal for the trade off of having this popular spot all to ourselves!!

Dina Signoretti-Costanzo
HikingBlowdownBugsClosedFloodedMuddyRockyScramble

Had the best day on this trail. We did a much bigger hike but picked this one up on the way. The park was closed for Covid but we parked and walked in. No one for miles and miles. We hit inspiration point, the falls, south mountain, boulder rock, catskill mountain house site and south lake. So many types of terrain, so many beautiful views and again, the best part we had the place to our selves. We passed one other small group in the 5 hours we were there. Only advise, I wore my lighter spring summer trail shoes, some portions are way too muddy I highly suggest proper grip boots

Peggy Caruso
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jan 03 2020
HikingSnow

wish i had taken my snow shoes with me. beautiful walk i thought i was in a winter wonderland. got some amazing pics.

James Catalfamo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 12 2019
Hiking

it you want to avoid the $10 campgrounds entrance park at the Laurel House parking lot. its just outside the main entrance of the campgrounds. it will make your hike longer but just as easy and you can add other scenic spot to make your hike that more enjoyable. all the trails in this area are wonderful and great for the family and dog friendly.

Mary DiStefano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 18 2019
Hiking

View isn't the best from this spot, but the conglomerate rocks on the way up are super cool!!

Joelle Andres
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 29 2019
HikingBugsOver grown

I didn’t realize that parking at N/S Lake costs $10, but you can avoid that by parking on the road before then. You still need to pay a $2 pedestrian fee. I took my dog and they needed proof of a rabies vaccination, which he doesn’t wear. Fortunately my vet was able to fax it over and the girl at the front desk was super helpful in checking us in for the day. We parked near the beach and walked a short bit on a rocky path to the old site of the hotel. There was a beautiful view and we took many pictures. Then we headed up to Boulder Rock. It was buggy from the start with kamikaze gnats going for my eye balls (RIP at least 10 of them) and other flies. The hike itself was not hard but several spots required some light scrambling... if you could even call it that. I needed my hands more than once. After we arrived at the Boulder we were treated to an overgrown, underwhelming view. I would have liked to do another hike (maybe Sunset and Artists rock) to make the most of my parking fee but my dog is new to hiking and was pretty taxed.

Rebecca Cannata
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 22 2018
Hiking

Went with husband and 5 and 9 year old. They loved it. Great views, pretty easy but they could explore.

Rares Benga
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 14 2020
View Rares's Recording
Ivan Medvedev
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 28 2020
View Ivan's Recording
Wei Tang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020
View Wei's Recording
Ian Landsman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
View Ian's Recording
mike fazio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 13 2020
Jonathan Oliveras
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 30 2020
View Jonathan's Recording
Dasha Murashka
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 24 2020
View Dasha's Recording
Kseniya Ilyina
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 24 2020
View Kseniya's Recording
pat markus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 17 2020
View pat's Recording
Taiowa Waner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri May 08 2020
View Taiowa's Recording
Robert O'Dell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Apr 19 2020
View Robert's Recording
Akash Mankar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Feb 01 2020
View Akash's Recording