Borden's Pond Preserve

Borden's Pond Preserve is a 1.6 mile loop trail located near Chatham, New York. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice loop trails, alternate routes allowed.

Simple short stroll, nice view of the pond. I grew up here so I have a soft spot for this easy trek.

Nice walk through the woods. A couple of inclines but not too bad. Note that the name Borden's Pond couldn't be more misleading as the pond was drained a long time ago. The only water there is a small stream through the woods. Dogs allowed but need to be on leash. Okay for a walk before or after dinner at one of the restaurants in Chatham about a quarter of a mile away.

Went on a warm day in February. Kids (5 & 7) loved looking for different tracks. Dogs loved exploring the stream. Not much to see in winter, but a great way to get out and enjoy the fresh air. A lot of dog poo on the trail, please pick up after your pets!!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

If you are looking for a very mellow walk in the woods (on the shorter side) this is really nice. I did this after a much more strenuous hike in the Taconics and it was a perfect way to decompress. I can see myself coming back for a post-work walk. The trails are insanely well marked and well maintained. Only downside is that there aren't a lot of trail miles but what they have is great. I ended up clocking in about 1.5 miles which is about the max you can do.

Monday, March 07, 2016

I've lived in Chatham for many years and have not been here until just this weekend. It was a beautiful area with different color-coded trails. There were lots of signs that were easy to keep track of so you knew you were still on the right trail. I brought my 3-year-old, which turned out ok, but there certainly some steep areas. It is extremely muddy right now. We all had to take our shoes off before we got back in the car. Overall, it was a nice experience, and I'd definitely hike here again. I'm sure it would be even more beautiful when the leaves grow back or even in the fall.

Saturday, September 19, 2015