Bonticou Crag Trail

Bonticou Crag Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near High Falls, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Travel from open fields through the woods and hike to the top of a prominent, stark-white crag overlooking the valley. (Optional, challenging rock scramble up.) Note that there is a small fee, per person, as this is on the Mohonk Preserve.

Really nice trail for a short hike! If you have an hour or two I'd highly recommend you check it out. The scramble is challenging in parts, but definitely doable for anybody in decent physical shape, as long as you don't mind heights. Would probably be difficult for a dog, and may also be hard for a child - being tall definitely helps on this one! The rock scramble makes up a small portion of the hike, and the rest is a walk along carriage roads and footpaths. I went with a friend and we bought food with us to eat at the crag - it's a great picnic spot and on a clear day you get phenomenal views.

We had a lot of fun. It’s not very challenging, really. We saw a dog go up. There were seven-year-olds climbing too. You don’t have to be in incredible shape. What makes it challenging is simply being on the outer edge of a fairly vertical scramble. But you’re never so far out that you could fall and really hurt yourself. If you don’t like that sort of thing, just don’t look down.

The views from the top are really quite beautiful. And the walk back on the remainder of the loop is pretty quiet as most people don’t seem to be going that way. There is still a decent amount of color on this first November weekend.

Great trail with a nice mix of hiking and scramble.. there are several trails to choose from as well as the actual scramble.

The scramble can be a bit of a challenge, especially if you’re not fit enough to push and pull yourself up. I wasn’t sure in reading some reviews that I’d be able to do this but I’m glad I went.

The views at the top are magnificent and totally worth going either on a trail or a scramble. I highly recommend it.

awesome hike to the Crag. I strongly suggest doing the rock scramble it looks nerve wrecking but its awesome.

Nice hike, the rock scramble at the start is fast and furious but otherwise not difficult. Excellent views and nice spots for some snack breaks.

Fun rock scramble to a great view. Was ambitious and thought I could bring my dog up... definitely not recommended. Turned back after about 30 seconds.

More bruises under my belt. My short stack legs struggle. Small panic attack, but oh the views! Love the crag.

one of my favorite trails to hike! not too extensive of an actual hike, but scenic and peaceful. The rock scramble to the top is definitely a plus. once you get to the top it's amazing, awesome view