Bonticou Crag Trail

Bonticou Crag Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near High Falls, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Travel from open fields through the woods and hike to the top of a prominent, stark-white crag overlooking the valley. (Optional, challenging rock scramble up.) Note that there is a small fee, per person, as this is on the Mohonk Preserve.

Really nice trail for a short hike! If you have an hour or two I'd highly recommend you check it out. The scramble is challenging in parts, but definitely doable for anybody in decent physical shape, as long as you don't mind heights. Would probably be difficult for a dog, and may also be hard for a child - being tall definitely helps on this one! The rock scramble makes up a small portion of the hike, and the rest is a walk along carriage roads and footpaths. I went with a friend and we bought food with us to eat at the crag - it's a great picnic spot and on a clear day you get phenomenal views.

We had a lot of fun. It’s not very challenging, really. We saw a dog go up. There were seven-year-olds climbing too. You don’t have to be in incredible shape. What makes it challenging is simply being on the outer edge of a fairly vertical scramble. But you’re never so far out that you could fall and really hurt yourself. If you don’t like that sort of thing, just don’t look down.

The views from the top are really quite beautiful. And the walk back on the remainder of the loop is pretty quiet as most people don’t seem to be going that way. There is still a decent amount of color on this first November weekend.

Great trail with a nice mix of hiking and scramble.. there are several trails to choose from as well as the actual scramble.

The scramble can be a bit of a challenge, especially if you’re not fit enough to push and pull yourself up. I wasn’t sure in reading some reviews that I’d be able to do this but I’m glad I went.

The views at the top are magnificent and totally worth going either on a trail or a scramble. I highly recommend it.

awesome hike to the Crag. I strongly suggest doing the rock scramble it looks nerve wrecking but its awesome.

Nice hike, the rock scramble at the start is fast and furious but otherwise not difficult. Excellent views and nice spots for some snack breaks.

Fun rock scramble to a great view. Was ambitious and thought I could bring my dog up... definitely not recommended. Turned back after about 30 seconds.

More bruises under my belt. My short stack legs struggle. Small panic attack, but oh the views! Love the crag.

one of my favorite trails to hike! not too extensive of an actual hike, but scenic and peaceful. The rock scramble to the top is definitely a plus. once you get to the top it's amazing, awesome view

-Took us an hour and half to finish the hike with a 15 min break at top
-Went on Sunday and there was a $15 pp fee
-Fairly easy until you get to the part where you have to climb to top.. which is prob a 15 min climb so its not bad. When i went, there was a family with 2 very young kids and they were able to make it so def not hard but you should take your time and be careful.
-I thought this was a fun hike but $15 pp is a bit overprice.. maybe $15 per car? But if you want to make your trip more worth, i would recommending doing 2 hikes.
- You can hike to lemon squeeze from the parking lot and the person in the booth was very informational in showing us the trail

Great steep day hike!!

Well maintained trail, beautiful views

Challenging climb with lots of scrambling. Lush winding hike and a stunning view from the top.

Did on 8/8/17 great short hike with my 9 and 7 year old. I haven't done it in decades. Was a ton of fun and brought back great memories.

Amazing view & cool rock scramble.

Very nice hike, but a particularly challenging and potentially dangerous scramble section if you're not familiar with scrambling. Parts of it were like rock climbing and could be very hard. Also, be prepared to pay a gate fee of $15/person during peak hiking season. Awesome views, but a little technical for a casual hiker.

spectacular views awesome rock cliffs.

This trail has a great rock scramble at the start, which is good fun! Some may have trouble tackling the rock scramble if they are not in good shape, and it would be quite easy to take a tumble so I would not recommend if you are not fit. Other than that, great little day hike- likely to take 3 hours round trip to complete.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

great day, windy on top but the trails and the views are absolutely beautiful

Friday, March 03, 2017

This is a nice trail offering a few different paths. The rock climb is awesome! Whether you do the rock scramble or walk around the rock views themselves are absolutely amazing! Once you get to the top there are some very nice views. I also liked the trees that were in top of the mountain. reminds me of big overgrown bonsai trees.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

$12 per person to park but well worth it for this hike.
After 15-20 min slight uphill walk you get to the real purpose of coming. The rock scramble. At peak time there will be a line of people climbing. Well marked and not very difficult if your in moderate shape. Overweight folks or lack of upper body strength folks may find difficulty in 1 section where you need to wedge between 2 rocks and pull yourself up. Get a friend behind you pushing your butt and you will be fine.
The views at the top are IMO the best in the area. Large birds circling around.
Bring a snack or pack lunch and enjoy at the top.
Easy, nicely (non scramble) marked trail which loops around and back the way you came. 3hr (including lunch) car to car.
HIGHLY Recommended hike!!!

Monday, November 21, 2016

We did this hike early this morning after it had snowed the previous night , only a couple inches but it made this hike extremely difficult . We parked on the farm road and from there getting to the crag itself it's fairly easy and well marked, the rock scramble itself was very cool, incredibly tough in snowy/wet conditions but very doable on a nice dry day i would imagine. The veiw of the Catskills was incredible even on a moderately cloudy day. What I loved so much about this hike was you got veiws in every direction from the top. From there we took the yellow trail to the blue trail which eventually connected to the table rocks trail and then back to the parking lot with a little back tracking . Everything was very well marked

Sunday, November 20, 2016

This is a great hike with varying terrain and great views. You can do the short version or add on miles. I added and went to Table Rocks but didn't have enough time to fully explore. Well worth going back.

Monday, November 14, 2016

I love this hike. Such a pretty view of the valley and just the right amount exertion to make you really appreciate it. It feels good!

Friday, October 14, 2016

The scramble was great delicious taste!
Front of that rock,you can feel exactly "really "

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

One of my all time favorites for a quick day hike. Fun rock scramble and some caving too.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Fun climb with some great views. Can't give a hike 5 stars that you have to pay for. Nature is free! Stop charging.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Fun day of snowshoeing!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Super fun and beautiful views!

Thursday, August 04, 2016

The rock scramble was awesome!!!! The only negative I would say is that I wished it could have been a little longer of a scramble up to the top. My sister who is an avid hiker froze like a dear in headlights half way up, lost her hat, and almost sh**t herself by the time we got up to the top. Definitely good times to be remembered! After getting to the top we hiked over to the table rocks, which is about a mile from the rock scramble. The rock tables are a bunch of giant rocks that you can walk on top of but be careful when jumping across the rock formations, the fall can really mess up your day. Overall best place I've hiked so far. Ps if you find a ny giants superbowl hat that'll be my sister's

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Excellent hike the scramble was strenuous definitely recommend for experienced hikers or athletic people , follow the dark yellow markings on the rocks there is a few dangerous areas to free hand climb make sure you have proper foot attire , do not climb in the rain a lot of jagged edges, about 3 hour hike if that , 30-45 to Rick scramble from parking lot , and hike through the woods once on top to head back down follow the yellow, at the start stay on red until you get to the rock scramble . Hope this helps.