Blue Mountain Trail to Blue Mountain Fire Tower

Blue Mountain Trail to Blue Mountain Fire Tower is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Blue Mountain Lake, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Second time up Blue in July. Did this on a Monday morning. Trail was quite busy with families and summer camp groups. Trail etiquette was not very good with lots of candy/gum wrappers, groups with music playing on speakers, failure to yield trail to descending hikers. But I guess that comes with the territory, with a short hike to a fire tower so close to vacationland.

I dashed up the trail and made the summit in 57 minutes, and descended in just about 30 minutes.

Boy did this trail kick our butt. We hiked this trail the morning after hiking two high peaks. I thought it would be a nice easy hike before we headed back home, but the second mile and it gets really steep. Your legs really get a work out. It was such a great feeling reaching the summit. We were the only ones at the top and we spent about 30 mins just enjoying the breeze and the views from the fire tower. It was pretty foggy when we first reached the top, but cleared up a bit by the time we hiked back down.

The trail starts easy, though becomes quite strenuous and rocky further on, and is slippery when raining. Views from the peak are some of the best in the Adirondacks, and even when the trail is heavily populated, it never feels crowded. Personally, this is the one trail I'll keep coming back to again and again.

The first mile is easy, with some small elevation gains. The remainder of the hike is much more challenging. You have to pay attention to your footing as the rocks and roots will be with you most of the way up, and then back down! The views are amazing from the tower. The view from the summit is limited, but still great where the openings are. Making your way down is also challenging. The hike overall is a good time, as well as a good work out. My son and I took some time to take in the views at the summit, and have a snack, but we were in and out in about 4.5 hrs.

Great mountain climb, although rocky and steep the views and vistas are well worth the hike upwards. Nice 360 degree view in the tower looking outwards.

Hiked to this summit in the spring as part of the Adirondack Fire Tower challenge. This particular hike is a challenging one as Fire Tower hikes go. The last mile is very demanding and depending on the time of year can be a scramble of sorts. The only downside to this hike is that the tower has all kinds of communications equipment on it and new roads and building supporting them. The views of Blue Mountain though....are undeniably breathtaking!!!! While I was in the tower, a helicopter flew up to the summit and dropped a man off to work on the communications equipment. It really shook the tower while I was in it!

Blue Mountain has a commanding view of the surrounding territory, but only if you climb the fire tower. There is a view of Blue Mountain Lake just short of the summit, but 360-degree panoramas are available only from the top. The ascent is fairly steep and quite rocky, following a drainage channel with two ephemeral stream crossings, which were dry for our hike. In the second mile, you gain over 1000 vertical feet. There is minimal exposure and the trail is under canopy until you reach the summit block. Get there early if you want a parking spot; this is a very popular summer hike. Took us 2.5 hours, but we stopped for about 15 minutes on the way up for morale reasons. The descent is very quick; poles and hiking boots are recommended.

My wife and I are doing the fire tower challenge, and found this one to be harder than Pok O Moonshine, which was rated harder by one of the guidebooks. It’s a solid moderate hike with nearly 1,600 feet of elevation gain in 2 miles, and is very rocky. If you are not an experienced hiker, I would not recommend this one when the terrain is wet. The views were amazing from the top.

I often judge hikes based on whether I'd ever consider a re-hike. Blue mountain wouldn't be a re-hike. Glad I did it once but, you have to think about almost every foot step - boulders and potentially slippery rocks make the hike a bit of an ordeal.

Yes, there is a great view from the tower. Yes, it's a moderate hike in terms of elevation change bottom to top and any day out in the woods is a plus - but no, it wasn't a favorite hike. See for yourself.

Challenging hike but well worth it!

I hiked this trail yesterday (after hiking Bald Mountain). Definitely a tough trek up but absolutely worth the views!

This was great hike! We had our 7 year old and we had fun until 3/4 into it, at that point it started to be a bit long for the little one. However we all loved it and the fire tour was worth the sweat.

Intense hike. The trail is almost exclusively tree roots and boulders. Hiking this in the rain would be a very dangerous endeavor. The view from the top is almost unlike anything I have ever seen in the ADK. Complete 360 degree view from Fire Tower. There is another outlook near the radio tower as well as an observer cabin. Very tough but very worth it. We got there at 2pm on a beautiful Saturday and were the only ones on the summit.

Was more challenging than we anticipated, but well worth it once you reach the fire tower. We brought our pup with us and he absolutely loved it!

This was my final hike of the Indian Lake Challenge. Views are insanely cool in every direction, particularly north to the High Peaks. Absolutely loved the views...the rest, not so much.

Downers about this hike: way, way, way too many hikers and a lot of them have zero trail etiquette. Super rocky with both small rocks and large boulder slabs. It's also chock full of tree roots. It's just not an enjoyable hiking trail to me at all.

Must have been 30 plus cars at the trailhead parking lot when we finally arrived back to the car on a Sat. afternoon at about 1:30.

Go early!

intense

Fun hike that ends with a fire watch tower at the end. Be warned, it is very steep with a lot of elevation gain and can be treacherous to go down when wet. Bring plenty of water.

There is a slow incline as showed on the topographic map. There are a few areas where there are planks of wood to walk across. The incline escalates slowly to sheets of rock with water running down it, making it somewhat difficult to walk on. We used paths on the side of the rock sheets in the forest, it made the ascent easier but it was still a big climb. It might only be a 2 mile hike up the mountain but it certainly doesn’t make it easy on you. Once you notice the sheets of rock turn into dirt, it will flatten out to a simple walkway through some pine trees. You can definitely feel the wind when you get to the top, and we went on a sunny day. The views were breathtaking. If you have access to the fire tower, you have a full 360 degree view of the surrounding area. So yes, the view is definitely worth the hike.

Intense and strenuous, by far not an easy mountain to climb. This summit from the fire tower is absolutely incredible. Pictures couldn’t even capture how beautiful it was. I would highly recommend Blue Mountain. My highest peak so far and Another fire tower challenge completed.

Great hike, but trail is very icy and a lot of snow! Use caution and maybe yak tracks!

It was a great hike on the blue mountain trail today. After about .0.6miles, the trail was covered with ice and snow but not very wet. There was about 2 feet snow on the trail near and at the top, but the slide section of the trail was covered with the soft surface ice. It was fantastic view at the top!

I chose a beautiful day but the trail conditions were not great. Lots of melting snow runoff on lower trail and slushy icy melting on upper ascent made it a challenge. It is pretty and has some nice views on the summit and from the Firetower . A great workout for my dog and I! I met 3 trail workers and they told me about another shorter hike with great views from a ledge. Will check it out.

Beautiful hike! Nice slow start winding through the woods. We kept waiting for it to get steep, and when it finally does and doesn’t stop. Absolutely beautiful views as you ascend. The fire tower was out of commission when we went up in the beginning of April.
Can’t wait to get back up there in the summer time and check out those views on a warm day!

It was great hiking on snowy trails and very beautiful view along the trail and on the top from which you can see high peak regions and snow lakes.

Hiked this today in the snow and it was a good hike. It gets steep at some spots but not too bad, definitely need micro spikes. Due to the snow, there was no visibility at the top but beautiful snow and ice crystals on the trees and fire tower. Definitely recommend.

Trail is in pretty great condition but spikes are a must ! With the warm temperatures there were some very slippery spots !

A very busy trail, but worth the crowds!! A steep climb here and there which makes it a fun challenge. Climb the fire tower and enjoy the wild flowers at the summit.

Locals were very friendly. Well marked trail. Beautiful with snow. Great adventure crossing all the frozen creeks and the two lean to’s were durable and helped keep out the wind. Outhouses were there too!

We had a nice hike where we had to break the trail out right from the road to the summit. The summit was socked in but it was a nice snowshoe hike.

Great Hike. Micro spikes were needed as it is icy. This is a well kept trail and very easy to follow. As a beginner to winter hiking this was a decent moderate rating and will be back to enjoy it again.