Blue Mountain Trail

Blue Mountain Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Blue Mountain Lake, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail is in pretty great condition but spikes are a must ! With the warm temperatures there were some very slippery spots !

A very busy trail, but worth the crowds!! A steep climb here and there which makes it a fun challenge. Climb the fire tower and enjoy the wild flowers at the summit.

Locals were very friendly. Well marked trail. Beautiful with snow. Great adventure crossing all the frozen creeks and the two lean to’s were durable and helped keep out the wind. Outhouses were there too!

We had a nice hike where we had to break the trail out right from the road to the summit. The summit was socked in but it was a nice snowshoe hike.

Great Hike. Micro spikes were needed as it is icy. This is a well kept trail and very easy to follow. As a beginner to winter hiking this was a decent moderate rating and will be back to enjoy it again.

beautiful mountain

Great trail would give 5* prolly if I went up the fire tower. Not so much of a view in the large hangout area. Beautiful view on the backside of the fire tower. We brought our dog tiggy and was quite a highly trafficked trail. Even many kids. Trail is semi a gradual incline with boulders along the beaten path. Wasn't too wet altho the leaves and few wet areas made things slippery. I prolly need new hiking boots with a better tread.

Lots of fun! Beautiful views at the top.

This was not a hike for beginners. I’d say it’s a tough moderate. It is extremely rocky and slick in some areas. It is also pretty straight up with tons of rocks, so make sure you wear the proper boots. The view from the fire tower was breathtaking and that made it worth the cardiovascular workout to get there. Great fall hike as there were no bugs and the color was beautiful. We brought our

A very difficult moderate hike, but well worth the view at the top. Going up in mid summer was exhausting, taking brakes were stressful because of all the bugs that would swarm when you stopped moving. The view that the fire tower offers though is spectacular, and the peak has a nice a grassy opening place to sit and rest. Very rewarding, take as many breaks as you need to!

A little more than moderate but still manageable. We went on the same day that it rained and surprisingly it wasn’t very muddy or as slippery as we expected. My biggest set back was that when you get to the top, the views aren’t as good unless you climb the fire tower. It seems a little dilapidated, especially on a windy day, to climb the tower. Over all though, worth the trip up.

A very good hike for average and expert hikers. My father and I are a big fan of this hike. Such a good workout and an amazing view at the top. Definitely bring lots of water and some food/snacks.

Great diversity. Lots rocks to climb, but nothing too intense. Well marked. Great for a family day hike. We did it with 4 kids under 7 in the rain and it made for an unforgettable hike.

Very intense climb and descent especially after a rainy day. Steady, rocky incline. View is lovely but only from the tower. The climb down was tough. There are parts where you can go off to the sides to climb up/down roots instead of rocks but still can get slick. Husband and I both slid a bit at various points on the way down. Not in a hurry to do this one again soon but happy to check it off our list!

Not sure what all the complaining is about on this trail. Hiked it Saturday with my husband and reached the summit in about 1:20, including a couple of rests on the steep portion and some picture taking along the way. Yes it's rocky, it's a mountain and with 15,000 people a year treading on the trail it's bound to get eroded. However there really are no rock scrambles on this trail. It's just plain rocky and with hiking shoes/boots is not bad. I'm also not sure how anyone could lose the trail here given the wear and tear. I never needed to look for a marker. There's only one lookout on the way up and a limited view at the summit so you really need to climb the fire tower (which is in decent condition and not too tall). I DO recommend getting on the trail early because it does get very busy. Happy trails!

Climbed Blue Mt this morning. First time, windy and cold at the summit, with no view because of the clouds. No problem as I expected this. Climbed the tower anyway to get the full cloud effect lol.

I along with 3 others hiked this yesterday. I am not a big fan of this trail. It required a lot of strategic maneuvering as most of the trail is chock full of rocks and boulders. The exposed roots get very slippery and the trail was very muddy in many areas. We all had hiked Hurricane Mtn the day before and we all agreed that Blue Mtn was a little more difficult for us (maybe because we were already a little tired). It is highly trafficked and we expected this as we didn't arrive until 12:30-1pm. If you are afraid to climb firetowers, I wouldn't recommend this trail as you will receive minimal gratification from the view without utilizing the firetower. I am happy to have completed this trail, however I don't expect to do it again. The view is awesome though! Due to the rock scrambling and slippery roots, the descend isn't as quick as you hope it to be.

Beautiful place, much needed work on trail markers, had seen some elderly people also getting turned around truly a place for the locals. Will go back and figure it out much to be discovered.

Loved this hike. This mountain is just under 4000, so didn't make the cut for a high peak, but there's an amazing view of the surrounding high peaks from the fire tower at the top. I brought my 10 yr old sister here for her very 1st hike. It was a bit of a challenge because although it's not a terribly long hike, it's very steep and rocky. It will test your cardio ability for sure. She did great though & the 360 view from the fire tower, totally worth it! Bring a long sleeve or jacket for the tower due to the wind chill up there. Coming down is very easy, just be careful for wet flat rock areas.

An amazing challenge with even better views extremely rocky so bring strong book with good ankle support