Mount Colvin, Nippletop, and Dial Mountain Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(46)
Adirondack Mountain Reserve

Mount Colvin, Nippletop, and Dial Mountain Loop is a 18.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Keene, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 18.3 miles Elevation Gain: 6,122 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

recorded Recording - May 05, 20:19

icy

I was going to do this hike a few weeks ago, but I didn’t find out until I got to the trailhead that the Ausable Club does not allow dogs, even though you only walk on their land for a few miles. A few weeks later I came back without my dog to reattempt this hike. It was definitely one of the more challenging day hikes in the High Peaks. You’re basically summitting seven mountains (4 high peaks, 2 smaller peaks on the way to Dial, and doing Colvin again on the way out). Unlike the Dix Range, these mountains are all separated, so each peak feels like its own mountain. Just be prepared for a lot of steep uphill and downhill. The trails are well-maintained and marked, so navigation is fairly easy. Besides the annoying Ausable Club rules, this hike was a great experience. That being said, I wouldn’t recommend doing all four peaks in one day unless you’re an experienced hiker and you are trying to become a 46er as quickly as possible. If you’re just looking for a challenging hike and a good view, I would recommend doing Dial and Nippletop or Colvin and Blake, separately.

icy

It was a good hike, conditions were great! You’ll need micro spikes for the top half. I only did Blake and Colvin.

Une boucle qui en vaut la peine. Colvin offre de très belles vues. De Colvin à Blake, le sentier offre un bon challenge, une bonne descente et.... une bonne montée. Nippletop est mon coup de coeur parmi les 4 sommets, une vue imprenable sur la majorité des plus hauts sommets des Adirondaks. De Nippletop à Dial et jusqu'au retour, pas très difficile et moins boueux. A noter que c'est plutôt autour de 30 km au total et non 27 comme indiqué sur AllTrail.

This is a tough day hike, especially as a solo hike. I went up the Gil Brook trail and then out the Leach trail after Dial. There are some technical sections, along with some rock scrambles that demand lots of upper body strength. The trail has some sections of suitcase sized rocks, etc., but many miles of it is nice paths. I was on the trail for exactly 11 hrs, with 10 hrs of move time, which is a bit slow for me. A twisted knee slowed me down on the way out. The last chance for water is at Elk Pass, until you reach the Lake Road. I went though 5 liters of water, with temps in the low 70’s. I would definitely do it again with a group, or solo broken up as two hikes. Great views on Colvin, Nippletop and Dial, and nice views up Blake. Enjoy!

What a day . Took me 8 hours from my car and back (parked at St.Huberts) I did this in a reverse loop going up first dial then nippletop down elk pass to Colvin and skipped blake because I didn’t bring my headlamp or light out and was running out of water (Ill prepared) I’ve done a lot of hikes but I will say the changes in elevation and constant up and down made this hike particularly challenging but if you are up for it, it’s well worth it I would defiantly do it again! Met a lot of awesome people out there today so shout out to them if they read this review!

Took just over 10.5 hours. Completed counter-clockwise on 8/31. Glad to have gone this way as I think saving Blake for the 4th peak would be kind of a morale killer. Round trip for Blake from Colvin summit was a touch over 2 hours. There isn’t any water after leaving elk pass until you get back to the lake road though so make sure to have enough water before going up Nippletop. Going up Nippletop this way reminded me of going up the backside of Algonquin but with less slabs, pretty fun terrain. The hike from Nippletop to dial then to the lake road is a nice rolling descent until you hit noonmark shoulder

private property

Tue Jun 04 2019

Planned to do this whole loop the other day but had to bail on nippletop and dial. The trek from Colvin to Blake and back to Colvin took us longer than expected. I’d say we are average hikers with going slow on steep sections, that took us 4 hours. It seems most people can do it in 3 hours. It zapped all our energy our. Colvin has great views and Blake has one good spot with a view but it’s not on the summit. Pretty muddy with flies on Blake. Took us 15 hours car to car just to do Colvin and Blake.

Wed Aug 22 2018

This was an awesome hike, it was very wet on the day we went and the trials had very little traffic. We did this loop in reverse and went over to Blake peak. Blake is very steep and going down Colvin to Blake is steep as well. Blake is a wooded summit and is not worth going to unless your looking to be a 46er. The climb to mount Colvin was moderate until the top where it was steep. On the way to Nipple top through the Elk pass was a long and at times steep up hill climb and was very wet on the day we went. No views were seen on Nipple to cause it was clouded over on our trip. It does offer a small summit with a great view on a good day! The hike over to dial was a great hike the trails here are very nice and the walking is good. You stay up on the ridge here which for us was a relaxing experience. There is a small rock for the summit and it was a great view! The trail back down to the lake road is not too bad either is just long especially after this long hike. Take note to anyone who’s trying to do this hike I clocked the mileage in at almost 23 miles this is a far cry from what the app says. The app is great for getting feed back but the mileage comes up really short. To all who go I hope you enjoy you won’t be disappointed it’s a great hike if your in good shape!

Sat Aug 11 2018

We consider ourselves to be average hikers in decent shape. This was a 20 mile day that took us 13 hours. I’ve done a few multi peak hikes in the ADK but this has the most elevation I’ve done in a day. Pretty steep everywhere. We parked in the Ausable club hiker parking near 73 and went up the Gill Brook Trail to hit Colvin first. Lots of waterfalls for the first mile or so. I can see why most people say to skip Blake if you’re not trying to be a 46er. Although there are some views during the hike down there isn’t much to see at the top. To do Blake you also need to summit Colvin twice. The back side of Colvin is a very steep climb. Lucky we had our water filter with us too. We were out of water by the time we hit the Elk Pass campsites. The two lakes and streams looked big on the map but are actually small ponds. There is no other opportunity for water nearby. The longest uphill climb of our day was Nippletop but we were also rewarded with the best views of the day. It’s only 6 miles out from Nippletop but you have to go over 3 other mountains on the way. Dial, Bear Den, and Noonmark. I haven’t seen Aspen Groves on any other peak like the ones on Noonmark. The final 3 miles were steep and pretty brutal on our tired legs. We were very happy to be done and felt pretty good to have conquered this hike

Fri Aug 03 2018

An exhausting day! Took me 13 hours including break and walk up from lake road and down at the end to return to my car. The steep downhill of Elk Pass and Colvin were brutal on my knees. Start as early as humanly possible and bring tons of water, food, and a headlamp just in case!

Mon Jul 30 2018

12 hours from parking lot to parking lot. Did Dial-Nippletop-Colvin-Blake-Colvin. this give you a long but fairly easy walk out in the end. Good views from all but Blake.

Sat Jul 21 2018

All trails app recorded 19.9 miles from car round trip. It took us 13 hours, fit mid 20s couple, we did Giant+Rocky in 8 hours a previous weekend. it was nice to crank out 4 high peaks in one day. You will be walking the road for a few miles from the trail head. There are camp sites along the way. Nice views on nippletop, dial and colvin. No view on Blake. Drank a lot of water and ran out right near the end, I'll be buying a water filter or purifier for my next hike for sure. bring a headlamp incase you're taking longer than expected

Fri Jul 13 2018

11 hours total car to car with around 40 minutes of summit breaks total. - I started at 4:30am at St Hubert’s parking, signed in at 4:45am. Walked to the leech trail where I went to Dial first. The trail starts out going up up up gaining a ton of elevation quickly and getting the heart beating from the start. Immediately climbing for quite a while until reaching the top of noonmark shoulder (some good views). Then the trail continues up to the Bear Den wooded summit after passing through some cool spots of aspen trees and a fun and unique stretch of trail. The leech trail goes over Dial to nippletop. Dial summit is a Boulder with no summit sign, decent view. Getting to nippletop wasn’t bad and has great views but another small summit with no sign. From nippletop I took elk pass down to the Colvin trail which was very steep getting down. Trail leveled out once going between two ponds. Colvin trail up wasn’t too bad, pretty gradual. Once at Colvin (another small summit with good views and no sign) the trail down Colvin to Blake was brutal. So steep. The “down Colvin, up blake, down blake, up Colvin” portion of the hike was the worst part of the day. Took an hour over to Blake’s wooded summit (a trail sign pointing to Colvin marks the summit), and then an hour back. Blake is totally wooded and a worthless trip other than having to bc it’s a 46’r. After getting back to Colvin from Blake I went down the gill brook trail to the lake road, using the cut off trail to get to the road as fast as I could completing the loop. The lake road made for a mellow but long walk out (like always). This entire trail is marked extremely well, so many signs pointing you in the right direction with mileage, a real treat. A long, challenging, and rewarding day in the woods.

Tue Oct 17 2017

actually closer to a 19 mile loop, and 6000ft cumulative elevation change. account for 10 hours. you will be hiking up Colvin twice. dogs are not allowed through the AMR.