Blake Peak and Mount Colvin Trail

Blake Peak and Mount Colvin Trail is a 13.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This is an out and back trail which will get you two more ADK 46'er mountains. It is very easy to follow and marked the entire way. There are lots of great views of waterfalls, and on the summit of Colvin you will have great views. Beware that no dogs are allowed and this restriction is strictly enforced. The parking is across the highway from the Roaring Brook access to Giant Mt. and is at the southerly of the two junctions of Rt. 73 and Ausable Rd. (not "Ausable Club Rd.") On a busy weekend, you will likely have to park on the highway. From the parking area, walk 1/2-mile up the road past a golf course. Just before reaching the large clubhouse, turn left and down between two tennis courts to the gate house and trail register.

We did this hike on Saturday, 9/1/2018. You must park at the end of Ausable Road at St. Huberts Parking area. You cannot drive up to the club and no dogs are allowed on this trail. We arrived at the parking lot around 6AM and it was about half full already. I think the chance of rain and overcast kept some people away. We started our hike at about 6:30 AM. In total it took us about 11 hours (back around 5:30 PM) to do the entire hike. The 11 hours includes time spent on the peaks, a lunch break, and the few resting breaks. I also pulled a muscle on the way down the mountain, so we stopped a lot on the way back. We also figured it to be closer to 15 miles. Our tracker died on the way back at almost 13 miles and we still had a good three hours of hiking after that.

I would say the hike to Colvin was easy to moderate, depending on your activity level. Colvin itself would be a good hike for a family or first-time high peak hiker. There were only a couple of rock outcrops to navigate on the way up. It was very wet due to the morning shower, but we have also heard that this trail is usually wet in spots. Just be prepared with extra socks or gators if you have them. From Colvin to Blake is much harder, but doable. You basically go straight down and then straight back up to Blake. It was difficult to navigate in spots due to being right down to the rock and very wet (this is where I pulled a muscle coming back), but it was fun hike! If you are an aspiring 46er you must hike Colvin to get to Blake anyways. You could also add any of the surrounding peaks (Dial, Nippletop, etc..) for a long day.

We did not have a view from either peak due to the overcast. We had originally planned to do the 2 miles extra from Blake to Lookout Rock since we knew that Blake didn’t have much of a view, but due to the overcast we opted not to add the extra miles. To sum it up, this was a fun and scenic hike. Although wet and tricky to navigate in spots, it is definitely worth it!

Colvin was the best of the 18 peaks I've climbed. Moderate challenge for a remarkable view. Then we went to Blake (mostly just because I want to hit all 46) and it was much more difficult and without a good view. Unless you are determined to do all 46, Blake is not worth the adventure.

Side Note: Access via Ausable Club is a drag. Upon letting my wife and daughter out of the car (at Tennis Courts) a nasty woman aggressively approached my car, knocked HARD on my window and proceeded to verbally abuse me for breaking a rule I didn't know existed, letting people out of the car. Cant figure out why they have so much hate.

The view from MT Colvin is absolutely Amazing. So what if it is a little muddy at parts, its a mountain hike, that comes with the territory. There are some really fun scrambles. There is also a nice stream for a decent ways up the mountain to refuel. There are also about 4 spaces that you can camp in about 2 miles from the top. The best place to park is at a country club. It is right before a church on your left or after it on your right. Its a little sign with an A and another letter on it as a symbol. You drive up that rode until you pass by tennis courts. The foot trail begins a little down the road once you pass between them. So many high peaks to access from that trail.

Did this hike Sunday, nice weather. The trail was muddy , easy going early up to Colvin. Colvin had good views. Ate a early lunch and headed over to Blake. The effort needed to get to Blake is not worth it. Not much at all to see. There is a view of Elk lake through the trees. Total trip was about 15 miles and took 10 hours. Guess that’s not too bad for my age. Lol

This was a hard hike. I tried in March and it was too icy between Colvin and Blake, especially on the ladders. Today it was pretty muddy, we added Indian Head and it took 9 hours. Indian Head was the best part for me.

Colvin was great. Best view just past the peak. Going down Colvin and up Blake looks more daunting than it is. Advice from a couple that past on the trail, “if you want to be a 46er, definitely do both, if you don’t care about being a 46er definitely don’t do Blake.” I’m glad I did both but I didn’t really see a view from Blake.

Gill Brooke Trail is a classic ADK trail and so scenic. Colvin has fantastic views and make sure to go past the summit 150ish feet to a little lookout that has a great view of Blake. Thought the hardest part was going down Colvin toward Blake, but definitely not as rough as some reviews make it out to be. Much easier on the way back. Loved this hike so much, will definitely do Colvin again but probably not Blake. (Hiked 7/8/18 Nos. 6&7 for me!) ALSO on the way down take the Lake Rd. cut off trail to save a bit of mileage and time- it takes you to the road and it’s about 3 miles from there. Wonderful people on this trail.

This was an absolute gem! Lots of waterfalls, fungi, wildlife, and great people. The stop off at Indian Head is definitely worth the additional time pay off is huge. If your taking the loop coming in take Fish Cliff it will bring you back to Gill Brook trail without backtracking(learned by experience).The trail was well marked and pretty dry for Adirondack hiking. Great lookouts from Blake when ascending take the time to turn around and take it in after all you earned it! It is rated moderate but there were some pretty technical parts of the trail especially ascending Colvin to get to Blake my opinion more than moderate.

No snow or ice in early June. Muddy between Colvin and Blake but drying out. Hiked in via Gill Brook and out via the cut off.

This hike I would say is hard not moderate and according to our mileage it was 16 miles. Gorgeous views from Colvin. These 2 peaks kicked my butt, but had a gorgeous day to hike them.

Excellent hike, easy trail to follow and great views on the first summit. Blake is just as bland as everybody says but I had the trails almost to myself this particular day so I enjoyed every minute. Toughest section is going to Blake and back.

Mid-May ice and snow on the paths (particularly bad between Colvin and Blake) made this longer and more difficult than expected—didn’t have microspikes so a good bit of slipping and sliding. A good 10 hours out and back. Still, the views from Colvin were great and very rewarding, and the lack of foliage in early spring meant we had some good views even from the forested trails.

Definitely need crampons. Very icy. Wanted to do both peaks, but I got a late start. I began going down Blake and decided best to turn around. Still took a solid 10 hours..

not the easiest with icy conditions , beautiful waterfalls on the way up to the main trail.

Beware that no dogs are allowed and this restriction is strictly enforced. The parking is across the highway from the Roaring Brook access to Giant Mt. and is at the southerly of the two junctions of Rt. 73 and Ausable Rd. (not "Ausable Club Rd.") On a busy weekend, you will likely have to park on the highway. From the parking area, walk 1/2-mile up the road past a golf course. Just before reaching he large clubhouse, turn left and down between two tennis courts to the gate house and trail register.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

This is a fairly easy (for the 46ers) hike. Blake has splendid views, you just have to go a few hundred yards beyond the summit to get them - Don't miss out!!!

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Despite what some reviews had said (including off alltrails), I would have to wholeheartedly agree with a gentleman that I had met in the Blake/Colvin col: The ascent/descent of Blake after Colvin isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be online. Perhaps it is more difficult on a muddier afternoon? It felt no different to me than the Sawteeth/Pyramid+Gothics col scramble.

I will say temps at elevation have now become a bit on the cooler side (esp. with the wind) felt much more so on descents.

This trail write up says there is no summit marker. There were 2 different spots for a possible Blake summit-both of which had minor identifiers. The first (possibly a false summit?) had a big "B" carved into 2 trees. Not necessarily believing this was the actual summit I continued a bit- first descending about 20 feet then back up. The 2nd possible summit had the trail distance signs near it (which the AMR tends to do on or near summits) and there was a cairn sitting on top of a boulder- This I would assume is the actual summit.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

This was my second time hiking this trail. The views on top of Mount Colvin are nice as you can see the The Range from there. The views on Blake Peak were minimal.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Colvin was gorgeous. Blake was simply miserable. No lies here.

Monday, April 24, 2017

I gave this 4 stars because the view from Colvin is impressive. Not a moderate high if you're doing both. Pretty steep in between mountains. Trail still has a lot of ice and snow and it's pretty unstable due to melt. Micro spikes a must and watch your footing. Lots of 2-4 foot potholes from stepping inches of the snow/ice pack

Friday, February 24, 2017

A lot of people hate on Blake, but I enjoyed this hike a lot! It could have had a lot to do with the conditions, though. 45 degrees, sunny and the trail was packed out and easy to follow. We started out at 6:00 AM and followed Lake rd to start and watched a Barred Owl fly across the trail. We made great time to the summit of Colvin to some beautiful views. A few slick, steep areas leading up to Colvin. Lots of snow!

After a quick snack and some pics we headed on to Blake with no troubles. I was a little intimidated at the first ladder we encountered because of the icy snow and the drop off surrounding it. It's a lot more comfortable going up than going down. My fear of heights kicked in a little bit.

I enjoyed a second chance at the summit of Colvin and it's beautiful views. It was a strenuous hike at times due to the steepness, but nothing too out of control. The overall trip took us 10 hours, but we spent a lot of time at the summits, which was nice! It's been a few months since the weather was agreeable enough to hang out for any length of time!

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Another couple and my wife and I reached trail head at about 7:30 am. It was lightly raining and the temps were around the low 40s. The rain stopped within the first hour. A cool hike until we reached Colvin's base. There the temps started going down and the wind really picked. Started getting light snow. Hike up to Colvin's peak was moderately difficult. Great views with about 1/4 inch of snow and blowing snow. Hiked down Colvin's backside and then back up Blake. Very slippery because of coating of snow. Got to top of Blake around 2:30. Seemed like a very long mile. Hike back to Colvin and then down. Reached base of Colvin and started using headlamps. Saw some campers off to sides of trail just outside of AMR lands. Reached Lake Road and snow was gone. Partly cloudy and almost full moon to guide us back. Got back to cars by 6:30pm. Good time, no one got hurt on slippery trail and didn't pass anyone.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Hard climb out and back wet and muddy

Saturday, September 24, 2016

This was an easy trail until you reached the last 1.1 miles to Mount Colvin. This is where you gain your elevation and there's some rock scrambling to do. The views from Colvin's small summit were nice. The trail to Blake Peak was a tedious one that offered really no views from it's wooded summit. If you walked down the trail a little further you could see Upper Ausable Lake.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Colvin and the cliffs were amazing, Blake was difficult without any view. highly recommend this trail to anyone!

Saturday, September 10, 2016

great peaks; colvin is an easier high peaks, Blake is steeper and tougher. beautiful weather and a great day to be out!

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Trail was easy to follow. Beautiful waterfalls! Did Blake thinking it would be a quick 1.1mile additional hike yet it was difficult! No view on Blake. Not sure I would do that part again. Slightly slippery rocks after rain all weekend. Great high peak. Took us 9 hours.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Absolutely gorgeous views, went out on the perfect day, a little muddy, finished Colvin but not Blake because we went to Indian head before heading up to Colvin, still a beautiful easy hike, one of my favorite views in the Park

Friday, May 27, 2016

Fun hike, weather was awesome. Views on Blake aren't very good, but Colvin has some good views of the great range.

Sunday, May 01, 2016