Blackhead Mountain Loop Trail

Blackhead Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Maplecrest, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,745 feet Route Type: Loop

icy

We would recommend going clockwise on this route, especially in the winter. We had to turn around during our descent for safety reasons and return the way we ascended. The scrambles on the yellow trail were too precarious even with crampons and poles. The balsam forest on top was a peaceful haven from the bitter wind. The views toward Black Dome are some of the best in the Catskills. We enjoyed the ice formations in the stream. This trail is just as beautiful in the winter as it is in the warmer seasons.

Definitely recommend clockwise for the winter. Some challenging sections going up that I can’t imagine trying to maneuver down. Fun trail and hike.

icy

January 11 and 56 degrees. Beautiful day for a hike. Icy...wore microspikes the entire hike. Very windy at the top.

icy

I took the loop trail counterclockwise (west first). It was a beautiful trail with stunning scenery. That said the trail was very icy and I slipped a few times on the descent. I wouldn’t recommend the trail for dogs or people without some sort of traction.

I did the Batavia Kill Trail and found it to be easy with a good lean toward moderate. Excellent hike.

Raining

I loved this hike a lot. So peaceful and quiet, only saw a few other hikers in spite of it being a weekend. Beautiful views from the ledge - not many views elsewhere, save your lunch for that spot. Bugs weren’t out at all today. The hike up is steep once the ascent starts. Trails and junctions are well marked.

Great challenging trail. Theres no view at the summit, but there are two areas of beautiful views and the trail itself is beautiful.

Dog had fun

Great hiking loop with 2 really nice viewpoints. There is no view at the summit so soak up the views prior to reaching the top. We did the hike clockwise which was moderate until the final mile, which becomes very difficult. A very good workout but also very doable for not so experienced hikers. I rated 4.5 only because there is no view at the summit. Otherwise, great hike with well makes trail and 2 very beautiful and breathtaking view points.

I loved this trail. It was steep in some areas which meant a good work out and we caught some great views of the big mountains. My track included all 3 peaks on the range and it was winter. Check out my full review along with pictures and some things to look out for. eastcoasthiker.com/trails/blackheadrange

As the other two hikers stated, best to go counter clockwise. I would advice to not go on this hike right now for a couple weeks until there is less ice. There is large amounts of ice and even with crampons, I slide down the north side 3 times for about 15 feet before hitting a tree. There was nice lookouts going up and down both sides with no view at top, camp steel lookout is too overgrown to really see anything.

The reviewer before me was spot on. We did the trail clockwise in February. Gradual incline until the blue markers and then it’s a solid up for about mile until the summit on snow and ice. Shoe spikes were a must! But some nice views both on the way up and down!

Awesome hike!! Quick yet challenging. I did the route clockwise - following the Batavia Kill trail. It’s a steady climb for the red and yellow part of the trail, but once you hit the blue part you gain elevation quite quickly! The first opening has some beautiful views - I recommend stopping there for some pics since the view point marked on the trail is in the middle of a pretty steep part that can be very slippery and dangerous. No view points from the summit but a nice spot for a rest. Going downhill was not challenging at all - the steeper parts are perfect for butt-sliding and the rest of the way is easy walking if the snow doesn’t cave. Hiked the whole trail with my microspikes on. I definitely recommend snowshoes for anyone hiking after the snowfall tonight. If it does however get warmer, be careful of the slush!

Wore microspikes for 90% of the hike. Going up the Escarpment Trail was crazy steep and icy and had to cautiously navigate certain steep parts. Views of Black Dome were amazing. Awesome hike

All sorts of awesome but icy.

Sat Jan 19 2019

Great hike. About 1 inch of snow. Wore microspikes entire trail. Some sections had hard ice. I did the entire traverse loop. Blackhead, Blackdome, Thomas Cole and Camels Hump.Decided to go down to the road rather than go back up the trail. About 5 miles from Camels Hump trail head to Big Hollow parking lot. 13 miles in total. Some sections were steep but nothing like the whites...Great day, just cloudy. Not a soul on the trail today. Note: Catskills are about to get 1-2 feet of snow this weekend so take the trail report with a grain of salt.

Sun Jan 06 2019

The trail in you could bareboot in but once you started climbing in elevation microspikes were warranted. There was a lot of thick ice on the ledges up to the summit which made coming back down tricky.

Mon Nov 12 2018

strenuous and gorgeous. Pack your winter gear, it's really icy out!

Mon Sep 03 2018

Challenging, scenic hike, removed from the worst of the Catskill Mountain summer crowds, with longer options easily available (adding Black Dome and/or Thomas Cole, specifically). Personally, I would recommend following this route in a clockwise direction (opposite to what’s posted here). There are several spectacular viewpoints along the trail; I especially loved looking up the spine of Black Dome, as we descended into the notch, after summiting Black Head.

Fri Jun 01 2018

Second time hiking this mountain. Gets a little difficult towards the top but worth it!

Sun Nov 12 2017

As difficult as it sounds. Be sure to have good tread and hiking poles to take on the ice patches

Sun Oct 22 2017

Very nice challenging hike; it's not 4.8 miles though ... my GPS said 5.6 ... be ready to sweat and workout

Sun Aug 20 2017

This hike is very much about the journey and not the destination. Beautiful forests, streams and a couple good views. Took the advice of others and went clockwise. Glad we did.