Blackhead Mountain Loop Trail

Blackhead Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Maplecrest, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike is very much about the journey and not the destination. Beautiful forests, streams and a couple good views. Took the advice of others and went clockwise. Glad we did.

Good challenge but not much of a view. I'd probably have gone clockwise on this loop instead of counterclockwise, the northeast part is a pretty steep incline that wasn't too much fun to descend when wet.

Good views from either direction on the way up, no views from the summit. Took my girlfriend and I about 5 hours and that was stopping to eat twice. Probably easier to veer left at the fork and ascend the steep side first, but we had no issues descending it and I would prefer going down it rather than up it. Lots of wild flowers this time of year. We thought it was a fairly easy hike compared to some others we've done.

Starts out wet with lots of small water crossings. Then it's straight up the east approach. While tough and sometimes requiring 4 points of contact I would rather ascend this section instead of descending it. Coming back down the west side between blackhead and blackdome has loose footing the entire way down the col making slow going. Not many views at the summit. But a great early morning hike.

The difficult part is the north slope trail of Black Head (icy). Other than that it's pretty easy.

Winter snowshoed. Plenty of snow, up to my knees. Also lots of ice to be careful of. Overall great hike with some awesome views on the way down.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

I loved this trail. It was steep in some areas which meant a good work out and we caught some great views of the big mountain. My track included all 3 peaks on the range. Check out my full review along with pictures and some things to look out for.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Really loved this hike. Nothing to see at the top but really nice views from a comfortable spot looking north/northeast on the way down. We only saw a few people on the trail. Got a little steep before the summit but it doesn't last too long and isn't too hard. You will use your hands.