Blackhead Mountain Loop Trail

Blackhead Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Maplecrest, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I loved this trail. It was steep in some areas which meant a good work out and we caught some great views of the big mountains. My track included all 3 peaks on the range and it was winter. Check out my full review along with pictures and some things to look out for.

As difficult as it sounds. Be sure to have good tread and hiking poles to take on the ice patches

Very nice challenging hike; it's not 4.8 miles though ... my GPS said 5.6 ... be ready to sweat and workout

This hike is very much about the journey and not the destination. Beautiful forests, streams and a couple good views. Took the advice of others and went clockwise. Glad we did.

Good challenge but not much of a view. I'd probably have gone clockwise on this loop instead of counterclockwise, the northeast part is a pretty steep incline that wasn't too much fun to descend when wet.

Good views from either direction on the way up, no views from the summit. Took my girlfriend and I about 5 hours and that was stopping to eat twice. Probably easier to veer left at the fork and ascend the steep side first, but we had no issues descending it and I would prefer going down it rather than up it. Lots of wild flowers this time of year. We thought it was a fairly easy hike compared to some others we've done.

Starts out wet with lots of small water crossings. Then it's straight up the east approach. While tough and sometimes requiring 4 points of contact I would rather ascend this section instead of descending it. Coming back down the west side between blackhead and blackdome has loose footing the entire way down the col making slow going. Not many views at the summit. But a great early morning hike.

The difficult part is the north slope trail of Black Head (icy). Other than that it's pretty easy.