Blackhead Mountain Loop Trail

Blackhead Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Maplecrest, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Winter snowshoed. Plenty of snow, up to my knees. Also lots of ice to be careful of. Overall great hike with some awesome views on the way down.

I loved this trail. It was steep in some areas which meant a good work out and we caught some great views of the big mountain. My track included all 3 peaks on the range. Check out my full review along with pictures and some things to look out for.

Really loved this hike. Nothing to see at the top but really nice views from a comfortable spot looking north/northeast on the way down. We only saw a few people on the trail. Got a little steep before the summit but it doesn't last too long and isn't too hard. You will use your hands.

I liked the trail, but was not too thrilled: There are two good vista points, but not on the top of the mountain.

Above about 3000 feet, the vegetation is changing, and the air smelled wonderfully (early September).

Will I do it again? - Rather not. - Was it worth the time and effort? - Yes.

Fun hike! Nice rocky sections, with good views! Not such a good view at the summit because of the over grown trees, but nonetheless very beautiful!

6 degrees Fahrenheit. 4 inches of snow on the ground. Some ice on the Blue Trail. Very nice climb, 5.03 miles, 4 hours 16 minutes. Stunning views just before and after the summit.

I hiked this on New Year’s Day 2016. I didn’t complete the loop, I returned from the summit of Thomas Cole. There is no view from Thomas Cole, but some nice viewpoints from Camel’s Hump. There is a bit of a scramble (that may not be a scramble in other seasons) before the 3500’ sign that was pretty icy. While crampons where not required, I found supplemental footwear traction at this point and beyond to Thomas Cole to be invaluable. Total hike time was 4.5 hours with 3.0 hours moving time.

Challenging. Doable if you are in decent shape.

Fun semi challenging hike with a decent view

My first mountain
Good view

Blackhead Mtn Trail is an easy start from Big Hollow Rd registration. A gentle first 3/4 mile or so then steepens sharply as you approach the higher area. Its all well worth the effort, rewarded with some spectacular views.
My son Aaron and I did this climb in 12 degree weather, a blue-sky day when the air is clear and not a bloodthirsty bug to be found ! If you take these peak hikes in low temps, be sure to insulate your drinks as our water became a slushy by the summit and the thermos became an iced coffee ! Also some good quality, well secured ice crampons are invaluable. Next time we will take in all three peaks, Blackhead to Lockwood Gap, then to Black Dome on to Thomas Cole and loop back. With a foot of soft powder underfoot, lots of ice and booger freezing air, one was enough.