Blackhead Mountain Loop Trail

Blackhead Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Maplecrest, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Second time hiking this mountain. Gets a little difficult towards the top but worth it!

I loved this trail. It was steep in some areas which meant a good work out and we caught some great views of the big mountains. My track included all 3 peaks on the range and it was winter. Check out my full review along with pictures and some things to look out for.

As difficult as it sounds. Be sure to have good tread and hiking poles to take on the ice patches

Very nice challenging hike; it's not 4.8 miles though ... my GPS said 5.6 ... be ready to sweat and workout

This hike is very much about the journey and not the destination. Beautiful forests, streams and a couple good views. Took the advice of others and went clockwise. Glad we did.

Good challenge but not much of a view. I'd probably have gone clockwise on this loop instead of counterclockwise, the northeast part is a pretty steep incline that wasn't too much fun to descend when wet.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Good views from either direction on the way up, no views from the summit. Took my girlfriend and I about 5 hours and that was stopping to eat twice. Probably easier to veer left at the fork and ascend the steep side first, but we had no issues descending it and I would prefer going down it rather than up it. Lots of wild flowers this time of year. We thought it was a fairly easy hike compared to some others we've done.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Starts out wet with lots of small water crossings. Then it's straight up the east approach. While tough and sometimes requiring 4 points of contact I would rather ascend this section instead of descending it. Coming back down the west side between blackhead and blackdome has loose footing the entire way down the col making slow going. Not many views at the summit. But a great early morning hike.

Friday, April 14, 2017

The difficult part is the north slope trail of Black Head (icy). Other than that it's pretty easy.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Winter snowshoed. Plenty of snow, up to my knees. Also lots of ice to be careful of. Overall great hike with some awesome views on the way down.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Really loved this hike. Nothing to see at the top but really nice views from a comfortable spot looking north/northeast on the way down. We only saw a few people on the trail. Got a little steep before the summit but it doesn't last too long and isn't too hard. You will use your hands.

Monday, September 12, 2016

I liked the trail, but was not too thrilled: There are two good vista points, but not on the top of the mountain.

Above about 3000 feet, the vegetation is changing, and the air smelled wonderfully (early September).

Will I do it again? - Rather not. - Was it worth the time and effort? - Yes.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Fun hike! Nice rocky sections, with good views! Not such a good view at the summit because of the over grown trees, but nonetheless very beautiful!

Sunday, February 14, 2016

6 degrees Fahrenheit. 4 inches of snow on the ground. Some ice on the Blue Trail. Very nice climb, 5.03 miles, 4 hours 16 minutes. Stunning views just before and after the summit.

Monday, January 04, 2016

I hiked this on New Year’s Day 2016. I didn’t complete the loop, I returned from the summit of Thomas Cole. There is no view from Thomas Cole, but some nice viewpoints from Camel’s Hump. There is a bit of a scramble (that may not be a scramble in other seasons) before the 3500’ sign that was pretty icy. While crampons where not required, I found supplemental footwear traction at this point and beyond to Thomas Cole to be invaluable. Total hike time was 4.5 hours with 3.0 hours moving time.

Saturday, November 07, 2015

Challenging. Doable if you are in decent shape.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Fun semi challenging hike with a decent view

Friday, May 22, 2015

My first mountain
Good view

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Blackhead Mtn Trail is an easy start from Big Hollow Rd registration. A gentle first 3/4 mile or so then steepens sharply as you approach the higher area. Its all well worth the effort, rewarded with some spectacular views.
My son Aaron and I did this climb in 12 degree weather, a blue-sky day when the air is clear and not a bloodthirsty bug to be found ! If you take these peak hikes in low temps, be sure to insulate your drinks as our water became a slushy by the summit and the thermos became an iced coffee ! Also some good quality, well secured ice crampons are invaluable. Next time we will take in all three peaks, Blackhead to Lockwood Gap, then to Black Dome on to Thomas Cole and loop back. With a foot of soft powder underfoot, lots of ice and booger freezing air, one was enough.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

This is one of my favorite hikes in the Catskills. The best route is definetly doing Blackhead first then onto Black Dome. Blackhead summit has zero view but a great rock, but the view from the backside of Blackhead is beautiful and looks squarely at the ledge on Black Dome that you are heading too. You need to be an avid hiker and in good shape for this one. Only need to watch out for the loose rocks going down. Views and area are 100% worth it.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Had the day off and hiked Blackhead Mtn then Black Dome and then Thomas Cole. Had to backtrack over Black Dome to get back to the Trail Head which was at the end of Big Hollow Rd in Maplecrest NY (the Catskills). The Catskills are a wonderful place to hike and explore. Hiking on Monday like I did the trail was nearly empty. The weather was cool, the sun was out but there were NO bugs. This is a rugged and very strenuous hike. Be prepared for a workout if you want to bag all three peaks (peaks number 3, 4, 5 on the Catskill 3500 footers). I didn't see any spots on the trail that I thought were particular dangerous, just a hard workout. My route (I posted the track) was 8.2 miles long and it took me 4 hours and 45 minutes. Great views (not so much at Thomas Cole) and plenty of places to have lunch with a view!

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

For such a relatively short hike, this one is very difficult. Even today, at the end of April, many parts of the trail were completely covered in snow and ice. 3/4 of our team slipped & fell. Everyone's sneakers were destroyed from the mud & it hasn't rained in days; bring hiking boots! That being said, the view was 110% worth it. And that's all that matters, so be careful & enjoy!

Saturday, July 14, 2012

I did the yellow trail trail all the way to the blackhead summit and then continued to blackdome, which was only slightly over a mile extra than just taking the red trail back. If you aren't exhausted at this point I recommended taking this detour. The views are excellent. Came back the way I got to blackdome and followed red blazes until I was back onto the yellow and back to parking. The bugs were absolutely brutal even with 29% deet until about 2 miles into the hike. The climb was strenuous but very enjoyable. Steep sections were sometimes followed with flat sections, and the little "step" climbing you had to do was easy and broke up the pace