Learn more

Blackhead, Black Dome and Thomas Cole Loop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(113)
Windham-Blackhead Range Wilderness

Blackhead, Black Dome and Thomas Cole Loop Trail is a 12.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near East Jewett, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.5 miles Elevation Gain: 4,658 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail covers three Catskill peaks (part of the Catskills 3500) along a beautiful mountain range and offers fantastic views. To do this as a one-way hike, visitors can shuttle cars or drop a bike off at the Big Hollow Trailhead and bike back to the starting trailhead when finished.

I would rate this as a moderate trail. the GPS location of the trail head is accurate but beware that there is no parking there. there are signs that unauthorized vehicles will be towed away at owners expense. i could find any public parking for miles, so took the risk and got lucky.

Loved this hike. Came for the Catskills 35, stayed most of the day for the scenery. Mostly shaded but I’d still recommend sunscreen. Buggy but nothing bit me so I didn’t take out the bug spray. On the west side of the blackhead loop there’s a well marked spring to refill your water bottle. I started at Thomas Cole which seemed to be a less popular starting point and it looked like there were only 3 parking spots on that end.

Solid hike that I combined with Windham High Peak as well. All told i ended up just over 17 Miles and over 4,000'. Great hike with decent views.

I obviously didn't hike 60.3 miles, my GPS had a melt down on the way out. I did an out and back style hitting all 3 peaks and turning right around to come out, very exhausting trip but I made it in about 6 hours. decent amount of slushy half melted snow. fun trail with several good views though

icy

Difficult climb but a lot of fun!! Still icy, crampons are a must. Great views

Approached Blackhead from Big Hollow Road, the outside loop. Steep and icy in spots, definitely needs spikes, could even use crampons in spots. Packed ice on trail with northern exposure, mud on trails with southern exposure (Barnum to Camel Hump). Fun hike.

Added black head on the way back from Cole register. Trail is in good shape. Probably didn’t need spikes for black dome and Cole but definitely do for blackhead

icy

wonderful hike. snow on hike to blackhead is always a problem because of the melting on exposure to sun. the icy layer has to be carefully managed on way down. reward yourself with great views as you hike. there's no view at the peak of Thomas Cole.

The trail is in decent condition - solid ice base, covered with a dusting of snow. Microspikes were sufficient on Jan 1, but someone had been up the trail when there was significantly more snow as there were some fairly treacherous post-holes. Watch your step as some of them are near 12" deep. All in all, a great First-Day Hike.

This is my time for thomas Cole solo

Beautiful day!!! Challenging hike but well worth it. Great views along the way.

Didn’t like it at all. Blackhead was horrible. No views at all. Very boring. Black Dome was a little better. Only 2 views but very poorly marked. I drove from Saratoga and would not waste my time to return.

I decided to try this range because it was close to me. Not really challenging only took about 5 hrs in and out. The views were nice. A Little Rock climbing in some areas of the trail. The views were nice, but there is a lot of overgrown areas. It was in the 70s when I went and the hiking trail is shaded really nicely. It was a good place and I did enjoy it.

Amazing trail! For an experienced hiker and climber! Some parts are scary because it’s straight up and huge boulders at some points! Direct up the mountain at some places! Enjoy this hike! We don’t recommend bringing your dog unless they are very fit and will be able to climb really big rocks and high, tight places. We brought ours and had a great time!

This was my first solo Catskills hike, and 20th high peak (toward the 3500 challenge). This hike took me ~6 hours and 15 mins RT and was nearly 14 miles. Weather was perfect today. I hiked to Camp Steel Overlook and turned back. I thought the hike was moderate. No view on Thomas Cole. The best view was after Black Dome before heading across towards Blackhead. During this hike, I saw a large snake to the side of the trail (also heard a few in the bushes) and found a tiny tick on me. I hiked Blackhead in the winter earlier this year and preferred that route coming up from the other side, as there is a pretty stream at the start etc.

Didn't do the last peak

Good hike. Tons of bugs this time of year. I would recommend wearing a head net as there are flies and mosquitos buzzing around your head the whole time. Beautiful views from the off the side of the trail at a few spots!

Mon May 20 2019

Awesome hike for experienced hikers!

Mon Feb 11 2019

Did Big Hollow to Blackhead and back in just over four hours. Microspikes mandatory, and crampons would have really helped, even coming from the west side. Everyone said don’t try from the east without full mountaineering gear, and absolutely believe it based on the long areas of slick ice from the west and on the little bit of rock scramble heading up to the summit. Glad to have finally bagged this winter peak for the Catskill 3500 club! No view from the summit, but good view of a lack Dome coming down.

Sat Jul 21 2018

Great vertical ascents and views! Especially between Blackhead and Black Dome. You can cruise through these 3 peaks if you time the crowds and weather right.

Sat Jun 02 2018

This was a lovely hike on a lovely day. You get some nice views and challenging hike. Not the best around but it’s certainly a nice hike.