Black Rock Forest Trail

Black Rock Forest Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cornwall, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

Take Route 9w to the forest on the left northbound, right southbound.

This is an easy hike and great trail to take dogs. 8.1 miles but nothing crazy challenging.

We did an abridged version of this trail called Sutherland Pond/ Scenic Trail/ Eagle Cliff Loop from Mine Hill Road on NY/NJ Trail Conference website: https://www.nynjtc.org/hike/sutherland-pondscenic-traileagle-cliff-loop-mine-hill-road

The trails are all well labelled, and tho it says swimming, it's really a pond. Rocky slatey trail, may be strenuous for ppl with foot problems -- but my hiking companion has foot issues and was fine with it. The first part up from car to peak was somewhat strenuous but also relaxing. Good mix of uphill and flat. Good rock top hangout point view, but no breeze and for some reason didn't feel as expansive as other views in the area. It was also a million degrees out and 100% humid. Pond didn't seem cooling, like a good idea today.

Saw a handful of other hikers, but mostly had the trail to ourselves. Tho we arrived around 1, we got an elusive parking spot in the 5 car lot. BUT- we really wanted to swim, came here to swim. So once we checked out the pond, we hiked back the way we came bc it was faster and so didn't get to see what were apparently beautiful views on the blue trail, which was part of the abridged loop back to mine hill road.

would come back to do the complete loop or the longer trail, but not for swimming. however, there seems to be a different reservoir somewhere else on the longer trail?

This park has some great trails. I didn't plan it well with storms so will be back to do a longer version.

Easy hiking with numerous trails throughout Harvard Black Rock. Also had a wonderful time birdwatching in areas and loved the view from Eagle Cliff

This was pretty easy other than getting side tracked, lol. There are so many trails though. It was quiet for most of the hike. Only a few cars can park at lot.

Loved it! Blue trail was buggy... white trail was easy! I looked at the pictures people posted and I definitely need to come again to see more.

The Black Rock Trails are some of the gentlest in the region. Perfect for trail runs and not heavily trafficked.

found it to be easy. very tranquil

Nice trail, birds chirping and singing along the way. But be careful with ticks. I caught several bloody suckers on my poms. It's more grassy than other trails I've done.

Great day hike. Three summits

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

participated in a great trail/mountain race here. Trails are technical and there are several vistas despite the lower peak heights.

Friday, October 21, 2016

Overall A pretty nice hike . The reservoir was pretty and you get a nice overlook at the top. I found it to be pretty tough at point I took a few guys with me who don't really hike and they had a hard time with it. Like I said cool veiw but not nearly as good as many of the surrounding hikes. If youve done most of the near by hikes and are looking for something new I'd certainly try it out . If you haven't done Storm King mountain I'd go there first

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Great trail Hard to keep track with 23 separate trails Great scenery The first snake my buddy almost stepped on by accident was garter or rat snake The 2nd one was a timber rattlesnake Just keep your eyes on the ground when you hike

Saturday, July 30, 2016

This was a nice varying hike. I only did a part of it, but will go back to do more.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Nice quiet hike, not very busy. I did run into a rattlesnake on the trail at the beginning of the hike, so be careful. Not sure if this is an area with a large rattle snake population, or just a one off.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

very nice quiet trail.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

It was a very nice day for a hike not to cold not to hot a little technical but nice views of the Hudson valley

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Can be challenging or light walk depending on with path you choose. The road from the parking lot up to the reservoir is an easy walk and maybe a little under a mile and has an opportunity to overlook the Hudson Valley along the way... Stunning view. The lake at the top is so peaceful and quiet.

The second time we went on the white trail which was quite a workout.. My gosh !! Steep uphill trail which just kept going all the way to the top. There aren't really any areas that allowed any overlooks but the forest itself rises and falls and the trees are beautiful. Lots of wildlife to see along the way. You are totally engulfed in the forest on that trail. We didn't run into anyone on that trail and it was a Saturday. We went from the parking lot to white trail then to the lake and took the road back to the parking lot. About 4 miles.

Friday, September 18, 2015

Fantastic! Great hike, great view. Quiet, beautiful hidden gem.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

It was a nice hike but difficult to follow the trail maps and there were not too many beautiful vistas. One spectacular one and a few beautiful lakes as well to make it a nice varied hike. Trails were varied - some rock scrambling, some gravel paths, some woodsy trails. All in all a good day out.