Black Rock Forest Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(162)
Black Rock Forest

Black Rock Forest Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cornwall, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,377 feet Route Type: Loop

skiing

partially paved

Great hike. Not to many hikers on the trail

Trail was a great workout. I detoured into another trail and had a total mileage of 9.5. There are times where you walk on gravel/grass road. Not a big fan of that, I prefer deep forest walks. Got there early and was the first car there. By 9:30 the place was packed.

First trail I did with my shepherd, who’s used to flat landing in coastal SC. He did great on the scrambles, nothing too terrible. Nice views along the way. Lots of muddy areas. Will do again.

Really nice place. The first 2-3 miles is where the elevation can be rigorous. There is a scramble coming down Black Rock which may be tough for dogs. We took the Stillman trail instead of the long road. Most of the back end of the hike is road. Will definitely go back and explore more trails at Black Rock Forest.

Such a fun trail! Markers are a bit confusing but manageable. Beautiful view at the top. We encountered a lot of bugs here and there (nothing that bit us). Great trees, moss, and chipmunks! Some parts were rockier than expected with inclines that were steeper than reviews suggested. Mud along the way and TONS of streams, waterfalls, and lake. I would 100% do this hike again. Very scenic and peaceful :)

This place is magical :)

Hands down one of my favorite hikes. It can get boring towards the end so I'll be looking at the park map to include some different mountains. No wildlife. Well marked. Well maintained. Large parking lot. Medium foot traffic. Best to start early morning to beat everyone there and get to the outlook alone.

A gorgeous hike! Part of it is paved, and another part is gravel. Some parts are very rocky. The lake is simple but pretty, and the waterfalls it creates are lovely. It’s fairly hilly. A great day for my dog and I

Great hiking area but I’ll be damned if I could follow this route. Just grab a map at the parking area and diy your hike. We managed 6.7 miles mostly on trails. This one looks like it takes a bunch of dirt roads. Still really enjoyed our hike.

icy

2 beautiful outlooks and a few scrambles.

This loop took us 2.5 hours, great views & moderate!

Sat Jun 01 2019

This is a nice walk through the Blackrock Forest covering 2 nice view points - one from Mt. Misery and one from Mt. Blackrock. Some parts are steep, but nothing major. On clear days, we can get excellents views of the Hudson Valley to north - Newburgh bridge, Stewart airpot, Hudson river