Black Mountain Summit Trail

Black Mountain Summit Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Huletts Landing, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,220 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail has amazing views. When it starts off for the first mile or so it seems like it’s going to be an extremely easy hike. The last 2 miles are much more difficult.

Awesome trail run today! My dog and I did run into a porcupine, so watch out!

I highly recommend this trail! I think it is more on the easier side of moderate. A lot of the trail is just a nice walk through the woods. It is easy to follow and the view is amazing

Nice hike views are nice!! Wish the fire tower was open

great hike lot of flat ground till you get to a nice incline up ...lots of rocks. Fantastic view from the top today.great hike

We loved this hike! It was a steady incline but not to steep! The views at the top were amazing! The fall foliage was stunningly beautiful and the weather was perfect. It took us about 3.5 hours with over 30 minutes at the top. We did see a couple salamanders, little snakes, and frogs.

I would always recommend this trail!

Great trail! One large tree down where you can’t see past and it looks like the trail ends, just maneuver your way over it and it will continue ! Super buggy at the summit by the fire tower. Saw one little baby garter snake and one frog on our hike.

Great trail! Little more intense the last mile than anticipated but gorgeous views. However the flying “ants” were HORRENDOUS at the summit! Like a plaque! Otherwise, great easy trail over all! Very busy. We saw a lot of other hikers

Great late morning hike (Sept 18, 2019). Wide open trail to begin with then after a short distance you’re in a more forestry setting. Pretty easy go until the ascent becomes steeper and rocky. I’m not that experienced and I got to the summit w/ a little work. Definitely would classify the ascent as easy to moderate. Great view at the summit. Fire tower is now an antenna and there’s a small turbine as well. Turbine is a little noisy but don’t let that distract you from the peace of the environment. Total time, w/ stopping here and there, just over 2 hours. Pleasurable hike. Awesome day. No Sasquatch sighting tho!

I’m a “hiker” meaning I live in Queens and get out the trails when possible lol. So this trail kicked my ass. If you’re a pro it should be no problem. If you just are someone who enjoys hiking once in a while, it’s defiantly doable, a little challenging but you’ll get up there & you won’t regret it. View up top is amazing.

This was a great hike! It took about 3 hours with my senior pup, (not including hanging out at the top for a bit). The view is so worth it. I would recommend good hiking boots with ankle support as there are a lot of rocks and uneven terrain. Definitely a moderate hike.

private property

Good with the dog. Did in 2.5 hours with a linger at the top. I am not a fast hiker but the trail conditions were easy enough that I could motor a little bit.

Two thirds of the way is a beautiful, relaxing walk in the woods and then it gets rocky so watch your footing. The incline moves up at a steady pace and the rocks don't seem to end. But the spectacular views at the summit are worth the climb!

This trail has a lovely view of Lake George (far better than Buck Mtn's summit view, in my opinion). Hardly any bugs, and the mud wasn't bad considering the rain we've been having. I took off two stars because there are small and medium sized rocks running the entire length of the trail. Many of the rocks are loose and it can be difficult getting your footing and not rolling an ankle. I could hardly look up from the ground the whole way to the summit. I recommend trekking poles for this reason, and get there early - parking area filled up by the time I returned to the trailhead at noon... on a Wednesday, no less. Nice experience, but probably won't do it again.

Great hike. We clocked it at three miles from the parking lot trailhead to the peak. Some mud spots but always navigable. Flies not a big problem.