Black Mountain and Owl Lake Loop

Black Mountain and Owl Lake Loop is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Harriman, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,286 feet Route Type: Loop

One of the best hikes in Harriman INHO. Great views from black Mt. Lots of variety. We were short of time so we cut downhill on and old road toward seven lakes drive rather than up and over to complete the loop. But all terrific.

We had a lovely hike and the dogs had a swim. The only tricky part was just before the creek where you turn on a not official trail for a bit before you get on Owl Lake Road - that area also has a lot of highway noise. Otherwise, great!

7.24.19. A fine, woodsy hike with fabulous views of the Hudson and Manhattan, and a showstopper view of Silver Mine Lake from the top of Black Mountain at about 5.5 miles round the loop. Look out for Owl Swamp also. If you’re thinking of going for it, here are my stats as a rough guide: Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,260 feet Moving Time: 3:12:22

We loved the light traffic on this trail, really appreciated the peace and quiet. View from atop Black Mountain wasn't spectacular, but still well worth the hike. The hike itself is not too strenuous, a few climbs to get the heart pumping, but anyone is decent shape should not find this trail very hard. The section along Owl Lake Rd is unmarked, but once you know it's there it is easy to find and follow. Overall great day to be on the trail!

I went with my pup and even at the age of 12 she was great on it. It had some technical points and the climbing was surprisingly good. I definitely got my heart rate up. The first mile is a bit of a buzz kill with the peanut butter type mud but there’s rocks to go across and I had treated my boots the night before so they stayed dried. All in all it was a blast and had it all to myself on a Wednesday!

This was a lovely hike with great views and a number of intermittent elevation challenges. The trail is maintained pretty nicely, with large rocks placed at points to facilitate stream crossings. It was quite windy, but aside from the highest elevations, we were mostly sheltered. It was pretty muddy at points, but after finding a nice long silver birch stick for balance, I was able to get through without any serious mud mishaps. Some nice bird watching opportunities as well with turkey vultures flying overhead.

Tue Feb 05 2019

Took advantage of a beautiful 55° February day to get out and hike with my dog The first/last mile is very slick and icy, with the rest of the trail either snow or mud, with a couple of dry spots.Views from the top of black mountain were much better than I had anticipated. Saw one person camped out at the shelter on the A.T, but had it all to myself beside that.

recorded Recording - Sep 11, 02:18 PM