Hiked up Black Mt on Saturday 9/22/2018. A crisp, clear morning perfect for hiking. I took the 2.5 mi trail up to the summit in 1 hour. The trail was easy to follow and the ascent was gradual/moderate with no really steep sections.
The views at the summit were amazing! Even with no access to the firetower. I took some nice photos from the lookout right below the summit. Then took the trail around the other side of the tower to another rock outcrop for more awesome views.
After 15 minutes I started down the other side to make the 7.7 mi loop hike. Soon after leaving the summit there is a side trail to the right with nice views towards Lake George. After that I zigzagged down the trail and came to the signed trail junction with the blue blazed trail that returns toward the parking area.
Now, it was obvious that this section sees much less use, as the trail was very faint and almost non-existent in places. I came to a lean-to and it seemed the trail ended there. But after some searching, I went down to the pond and found where the trail continued.
The trail was more visible after the lean-to and after a bit intersects with a yellow blazed trail that finishes the loop back to the road.
The whole trail was very scenic and I'm so glad I took the long way back. Another hiker and I were trail running most of the way back and I made it back in 1:18. Pretty good time for me.
A great loop hike overall, which I highly recommend. I would come back here again.