Black Mountain and Lake George Trail

Black Mountain and Lake George Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Clemons, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Relatively easy hike with only a few challenging spots - rewarded with great views and a fire tower. Follow the trail to a road through the woods. Follow this road half a mile to a trail junction just before a private residence. Follow the small red DEC trail markers as the trail skirts right around the home and heads off into the woods. Make sure to follow the small red markers as snowmobile trails are also in the area. You will see a trail heading off to the left towards Lapland Pond. Ignore this and continue on towards the summit. At 2,646 feet you are at the summit of Black Mountain where you will find a fire observers cabin and a firetower. If you wander around the summit a bit you will find excellent views up through the Narrows of northern Lake George. Continue on and take the trail that leads down off the southern edge of the summit towards Black Mountain Point. This will then intersect with another base trail where you will head west (left) towards Lapland Pond Junction. At the Lapland Ponds junction head north (left), follow the blue markers and this will bring you back to the original trail you came in on and after about 2.2 miles you should reach your car.

Awesome views!!! Really bummed about the communication tower. However, it did sound like a passing helicopter, HA! It was a very nice hike, other than that. The stream is just beautiful. It was very wet today, maybe it’s not always like that, but we didn’t mind at all. We just changed socks at the top and we were all just fine. Trail was easy to follow and will be back in the summer.

Great views of Lake George but the fact the fire tower has been transformed into a communication tower and the wind turbine sounds like a helicopter landing spoils the experience.

Great hike. The dogs helped make the hike up easier then made it quite a bit more dangerous on the way down. Beautiful view at the summit.

I found this hike to be a bit challenging in that the trail was not very pleasant for footing: rocks and gravel-like path (road) in the beginning; lots and lots and lots of rocks, roots and mud pretty much the whole way up. The trail seems to have become a runoff and is heavily used. Ascent-wise it was not terribly difficult but moderate to difficult, and not strenuous as far as climbing the final ascent to the summit. I was expecting much worse! I think the challenging part for me had to do with footing on the rough terrain.

Atop you will find a lovely lookout to the right and just below the tower summit. The tower is closed, fenced off, has become a cell tower; there is a windmill there as well, which makes a lot of noise when it’s going! It was cool to see but obviously not pretty so it’s best to take a seat below, and enjoy the gorgeous view of the northern section of LG.

I have definitely seen better and maybe I will do this in the winter, thinking snowshoeing will actually be easier over the messy terrain.

Enjoyable hike. Gets rocky at some points but not terrible. Limited space to hang out and enjoy the views if there are multiple hikers at the top. But the views are beautiful even without access to the fire tower. Took about an hour to get to the summit and we flew back down pretty quickly. We did spend some extra time up there because the views are great. I definitely recommend!

Hiked up Black Mt on Saturday 9/22/2018. A crisp, clear morning perfect for hiking. I took the 2.5 mi trail up to the summit in 1 hour. The trail was easy to follow and the ascent was gradual/moderate with no really steep sections.
The views at the summit were amazing! Even with no access to the firetower. I took some nice photos from the lookout right below the summit. Then took the trail around the other side of the tower to another rock outcrop for more awesome views.
After 15 minutes I started down the other side to make the 7.7 mi loop hike. Soon after leaving the summit there is a side trail to the right with nice views towards Lake George. After that I zigzagged down the trail and came to the signed trail junction with the blue blazed trail that returns toward the parking area.
Now, it was obvious that this section sees much less use, as the trail was very faint and almost non-existent in places. I came to a lean-to and it seemed the trail ended there. But after some searching, I went down to the pond and found where the trail continued.
The trail was more visible after the lean-to and after a bit intersects with a yellow blazed trail that finishes the loop back to the road.
The whole trail was very scenic and I'm so glad I took the long way back. Another hiker and I were trail running most of the way back and I made it back in 1:18. Pretty good time for me.
A great loop hike overall, which I highly recommend. I would come back here again.

Great hike. Did on 9/16/2018 with 7 kids age 5-11. 1:40 to the top and 2:30 down the lake side and around through the ponds.

Loved this hike! We started at the trailhead, following the red DEC discs up to the (unimpressive) summit. Trail was wide, and clearly marked; fairly gentle to start, but eventually became quite steep. Descended along trail on south side of the summit; single-track, slightly overgrown, steep in places. Blue trail is clearly marked with DEC discs, and offers a nice stroll through the woods past the ponds. Yellow trail to the left takes you back towards the trailhead.

Love everything about it. The only thing was that when I got to the top, it was so foggy I couldn’t appreciate the view. But will definitely do it again.

I hiked this today and after all the rain we had this week it was MUDDY. I slipped on a few spots, mostly on the way down so you definitely have to watch your footing. View of the lake from the top is amazing and on the loop back down the other side there are views all along the way. Took me longer than I anticipated but mostly because of the mud and having to place my feet carefully. Overall a good hike, neat to see a wind turbine at the top!

Nice hike - especially if you do the loop and see the less used trail. But the summit was disappointing. Not much room do the tower with antennas and generator.

Still, beautiful 8 mile loop

I will rate this a 5 because great view of lake George but after pilot knob then buck now black I’ve seen lg enough did it for the fire tower challenge and what a bullshit tower. I would say this is easier than buck so if you want a Great Lake view have at it . This is not easy but not hard either

I've done this hike twice now. It's a pretty easy hike with a very rewarding view of Lake George.

the distance markers on the signs are a tiny bit off. add about an extra half mile to the time up. beautiful view of the lake. Bring bug spray. The bugs are relentless

I have been twice in two years here. Although it is rated moderate, I would say it is moderate to hard hike. Since top is not widespread and only few spots available for the view, try to be early so that there are few people. It was really muddy because if rain last week.

Gorgeous day - great hike. Up the trail with the red markers, looped back down by Black Pond and Lapland’s Pond. Saw a big snapping turtle just off the trail! Little mud but not too bad at all.

It was a nice climb to the summit was, a little disappointed with the limited view, but the over all view was great.

Nice hike to the summit. Very dog friendly. Nice view. Fire tower closed.

A nice hike, very well marked trails. I did the loop, starting with the red markers to go up to the top. It was the first time I saw a wind turbine on a summit! Descending the red trail from the summit is pretty steep for ~1/2 mile. The loop around the ponds (blue and yellow markers) is very easy and pleasant walking.

this is the second time I have hike Black Mountain. It is a fairly easy ascent and a nice tranquil Loop. this weekend the trails were muddy and wet with patches of snow and ice crampons were a must. the wind at the top was howling in bitter cold. eventually spring will pop up and join the party.

One of the best views of LG , clear views of the Lake don't start untill the top but it's worth effort. Early spring bring spikes or snowshoes on your back because they are needed half way up due to ice on the trail.

solid hike did it mid march without snow shoes .... *dont do* but the hike was worth it great views from the summit if your trying to get a good photo go behind the fire tower

Thursday, December 07, 2017

Great hike weather was cool and sunny red trail up was a running stream. Views were excellent
Made the 7 mile loop was a great moderate trail
Everybody should do this trail at least once

Saturday, December 02, 2017

Nice hike. Icy in spots and wet in some others. Views are nice... no access to the fire tower.

Monday, November 27, 2017

The trail to the top of Black Mountain is heavily used and well-marked. The views from the top are awesome, The loop down to the ponds is wet in places but the ponds are nice. Carry a map and you won’t get confused by the side trails and intersections on trails that lead to other ponds.

Monday, November 13, 2017

Beautiful trails! A little over 7 miles. We made it to the summit in an hour and a half at a steady pace. The way down if doing the loop adds time and miles to the hike. Fastest is up to the summit from the parking lot and back down that way. I am at the end of a cold so I found it to be moderate in difficulty. It was also 30-35 degrees and my first cool weather hike so that also affected the difficulty level for me. We did the loop on the way back to pass Black Mtn pond & Lapland Pond, and found the lean-to which is off the main trail, all very pretty. To find the loop trail down was easy at the top near the fire tower, ( no access to fire tower) well marked the whole way down. There was a lot of ice on the trail today, more so on the way up. Brought micro spikes but did not use them as there was room to walk around the ice and no snow yet. Beautiful trails and very enjoyable. We both wore some bright colors and were wary of hunters but did not hear gunshot or see hunters today. Quiet, saw only one solo hiker and a group at the end.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Pretty easy hike. Awesome views from the summit. Very wet and windy, but totally worth it!

Thursday, November 02, 2017

Very easy to moderate hike. Very very wet . With a couple days of rain it was like hiking a steady stream. Also not sure why I didn’t see this reported yet but the fire tower is closed and you would have to climb under the fence to get up. Top is completely nailed shut. Also , active hunters on this trail .. we literally almost walked into a dead deer mid path ! Stay safe !

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Awesome hike , great views and a well kept trails . I decided to go the opposite way on the trail