Black Dome Mountain

Black Dome Mountain is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Maplecrest, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This is a pretty trail, lots of nice big flat river rocks and slate at the beginning and some fun little rock cliffs to climb up at the end. The summit is not clearly marked; I found a small outlook with some initials carved in the stone and figured that was my final destination. There is a wider outlook below the summit that is nicer to sit and enjoy the view. Overall, a very pleasant and challenging hike. The trail gets narrow and closed in at points and I did see a couple of rattlesnakes, so I will probably take extra precautions if I hike this again.

The trail starts off next to a beautiful creek full of falls and has a forest that is covered in moss. very cool setting to hike through. The trail gets step and very rocky in some sections but the views from the top are worth it. one of my new favorite trails and will be returning soon.

Friday, August 11, 2017