Black Creek: Route 19 to Churchville Dam

Black Creek: Route 19 to Churchville Dam is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Riga, New York that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for birding, canoeing, and whitewater kayaking and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

paddle sports

Launched and finished trip at the launch off of Park Rd on the south bank of Black Creek at Churchville Park, N 43 6.321, W 77 53.682, about 1.4 water miles upstream of the dam. Kayaked upstream as far as I could without portaging, this got me further past route 19 than I was able to a couple years ago, but well downstream of West Sweden Road. Water has some trash in the stagnant water around the park; not much current even farther upstream, easy to paddle against. Came to a blocking tree at N 43 6.157, W 77 56.758. I know getting all the way to West Sweden Road was possible many years ago, not sure how many portages are necessary today, I would do a one way downstream trip if you're planning that route.
Overall I paddled total 7 miles for the up-and-back. I am interested in seeing what downstream of the dam has to offer before the water levels drop for the summer, I expect many deadfalls.

paddle sports

Paddles this route many times fall 16 while in college. Is a nice, twisty little river very technical.

paddle sports

Beautiful afternoon for a paddle. Put in at Rt 19 with two kayaks and a canoe and paddled about 3/4 of the way to Churchville Park. Turned around and paddled back. Can definitely leave a car at the park, but we didn't want to take the time and there is almost no current so paddling back up the creek is no issue.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

ssshhhh....don't tell anyone .... the best little piece of kayak heaven is here! :)

Saturday, September 03, 2011