Black Bear Mountain Trail

Black Bear Mountain Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Inlet, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Moderate climb from inlet

Don't go after a major rain. Too muddy to enjoy. Nice views.

Great trail my kids 4 and 8 yrs old loved it

adk firetower challenge
Fulton chain trifecta

We chose to do the more steep part of the loop on the way up and the longer but more easy going part of the loop on the way back. After doing such, we were happy we chose to do this as there were some rocky sections on the steep part that required some big steps even for us guys, myself being 6' tall. The terrain was more interesting on the steeper part of the loop but after enjoying the view at the top the more gradual way down was a relaxing and easy hike. One section was particularly muddy but most of it could be avoided by taking paths to the side which were pretty well worn. This seemed to be a pretty popular trail on the weekend and enjoyed it enough to consider trying it again sometime.

Great hike. Went solo, took me two and a half hours round trip. I had my lunch at the summit too. Great views. There are two paths, as I'm sure you've read. I took the blue, the steeper one, up and the yellow down. The blue was steeper for sure, with some rock scrambling in parts, but nothing difficult. Make sure you take the yellow for part of it, you get a view from the south of the mountain off to the side of trail!

Black Bear is a fun relatively easy hike that can be done with families that have small children. The hike starts off as an easy flat wide trail that branches off into two options after about a mile. The blue path is steeper, shorter and rockier with scrambling required toward the top. The yellow path is slightly longer, much less steep and requires no scrambling. I recommend climbing up the blue trail and down the yellow trail for a fun safe loop as you don't have to climb down the steep rocks. If you have small kids they may need assistance climbing toward the top of the blue trail. The view from the top is limited but very nice and this is a fun relatively easy hike.

Should you choose he blue trail. Please note that it requires some considerable scrambling near the summit and this may be challenging for little ones but fun for some children.

Things to know:
The trailhead is right off the side of rt 28 and shares a trailhead with Rocky Mountain

This is located in the town of inlet and there are plenty of shopping and eating and gas station options between inlet and old forge which is only about ten minutes away

There is a small stream at the start by the trailhead but no other water sources are available

Beautiful hike, even in gloomy weather! My dog loved it as well, we'll definitely be back.

My fave climb so far, muddy at points but you can get around most of them without much fuss. Incredible view!

Took the yellow trail up. Longer but more gradual. Had to occasionally run from the bugs. Blue trail returning. Steeper, faster. I had just completed Rocky Mt 30 min earlier. Won't be doing that again.. lol. Too much for me feets. 3 hrs to complete.

Great trail, amazing view!

Easy trail with some moderate steep areas. The blue trail is not as easy. Because of rain the day before it was uncomfortably muddy but had some nice views.

Great trail, Amazing view.