Black Bear Mountain Trail

Black Bear Mountain Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Inlet, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Moderate climb from inlet

Beautiful views of 7th lake and blue Mt

Taking the right fork takes you to a good rock climb. Was a great time and some good views!

The hike is longer than Bald & Rocky, so it doesn't get as much traffic. Out of the 3, Black Bear is my favorite. I like the fact that there's usually less people and I love all the lookout spots.

We took the blue trail, which definitely got a little steep, but it was still easy enough. A great short hike with rewarding views.

View at the top was great, but if you follow the blue trail it gets extremely steep near the top. Overall awesome hike!

Black Bear Mountain shares a parking area with Rocky Mountain trail. About 15 minutes in you come to a fork in the trail. There are two approaches to the summit: the left fork following the yellow markers is the longer, more gradual northern trail, and the right fork with blue markers is the shorter, steeper southern path. I followed the southern trail on the ascent and northern trail back. The southern trail has some extremely steep and rocky areas. The northern trail wasn't very exciting but may be easier with children or older people. Give yourself time to explore the interesting summit. Do along with Rocky Mountain trail for a nice half-day hike.

beautiful views. there is a steep area. recommended hike.

hiked 6/11/17- Took my 2 & 4 year old boys with me. mud in some spots, had to bushwack to get around it. Definitely bring bug spray. Took the yellow trail in and out easier on the kids. Over all great day hike with kids.

Pretty nice climb. For as little elevation that you gain, there are some really nice views. The longer southern approach would probably be good if you had kids with. My 4.75yrs made it up the north approach (his call, after being asked if he wanted the longer, easier path or the shorter, more difficult) with 8lbs in pack. After the accent, I would not have wanted to return by the North. We took the South down. Other then seeing some deer that promptly fled, no one and nothing on the path. Peak one for Fulton Chain. Also of note, first peak for my 4.75 as well.

Really enjoyed this hike. The trail is marked very well- no problems staying on tract. The view at the summit is very nice. The blue trail is fairly steep at the top but quite doable. There is a fair amount of mud to avoid but it's possible. Considering the wet spring we have had this was no surprise.

Not a bad trail. Quite muddy in spots. We hiked the yellow trail which is the longer of the two. Near the top you have a steeper scramble but doable. I hiked this with my 20lb 9 month old on my back and was not too difficult. I would wait to hike the trail until the mud dries up.

I enjoyed this hike. First one I've ever done, besides Bald Mtn. It wasn't hard, except for the last .25 of a mile when it really started inclining. The view was fantastic. Very good hike for a beginner, like me.