Black Bear Mountain Trail

Black Bear Mountain Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Inlet, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Moderate climb from inlet

This was our sons first mountain hike and he loved it. We did the blue trail up which worked out well for him as he LOVED the rocks and the climbing. From the summit we took the yellow trail down which lead to a much more secluded and peaceful hike down. We only passed a few couples hiking up. My husband and I enjoyed the ease of the climb and our son did well with the trails. Make sure you bring water and wear the appropriate footwear!

One of our favorite hikes near Old Forge. Once you hit the peak, with the view of the Lake on your right, keep walking forward through the trees. The view on the northern side of the peak is unreal.

Took the blue trail up and yellow down. Beautiful family time

Agree with everyone else pretty much, hiked in the rain so glad we went yellow up. Never did find the survey marker :(

The loop has two well marked trials. The yellow trail is mostly flat until you arrive at the base of the mountain, and then it’s a short but steep climb to the summit. The first open area has some nice views, but the summit is further up he trail. The views are wonderful, and there is plenty of space to sit and relax. We took the blue trail down, which would be the more challenging trail to hike up. The way down is fun, but challenging in a few places. Overall a great hike.

Walked this today (Yellow Trail). It was good

One of my favorite hikes. It's usually holds water at the earlier stages of the trail, but dries up later on. It's a good hike to start the season, with mostly easy hiking and small sections of boulders, but nothing too demanding. Something I've never seen mentioned though, is the waterfall. There's a stream that runs along the left side of the trail on the way in. Some distance past the fork is a small waterfall. It's a nice little detour to ad another experience to an already wonderful hike.

Took the yellow trail up and blue trail down. Amazing view from the summit! There is a false summit when heading up from the yellow trail. It was muddy in some spots, so wear appropriate footwear!

We hiked this on the most perfect day! Weather wasn’t too hot or too cold! We mapped (on a different app) it at 5.46 miles for the total hike.. it took us a little over 2 hours (with 2 dogs and stops for water for them and us). It’s definitely not a beginners hike, but we went great when we got to the summit... we took the harder trail up, and the easier trail (yellow) down because it’s easier to handle the dogs when it’s that steep. We would definitely hike this trail again!!

Went solo for this hike, yellow trail was a little muddy in some spots but very easy to follow. Took the blue trail down, which was a lot faster but also rockier and probably a little steeper.

It was raining quite a bit the past few days before our hike. There were lots of mushy area and down trees, but that didn't stop my friend and I finish the hike. We did the reverse route, heading up to Blue then down with the Yellow when we had reached the top. It was definitely very very rocky and slippery when we were heading close to the top via the Blue. I actually slipped twice, and the last bit almost free fall off the cliff. Thank goodness my friend was spotting me for that last bit. All and all, it was a fantastic hike and the top was a very WOWing view! Would totally hike again!

Hiked blue trail up yellow down. Haze lifted to a good view all around. Some mud but not bad good hike.

did this trail through the rain. we didnt get great views up top, but we enjoyef this easy walk. we went to the right up the blue trail and down the yellow. the small rock climb up the blue way was neat..

(May 5th) Just hiked this over the weekend. Be prepared for a lot of mud if you go this time of the year. I recommend taking the (yellow) left trail up and the (blue) right trail back.

Not a very long or difficult trail by itself but hiking after a brief warm spell mid-January proved problematic. Snow was very wet and although the snow shoes did help, it didn't prevent me from post-holing. I had hiked this as a loop ascending the steeper part-descending the longer but more gradual trail. The steep ascent was quite hard to read at times in these conditions-forcing me off trail and bushwhacking at times. The mixed terrain of ice, exposed wet rock, and wet snow packing in my micro spikes rendering them basically useless proved more difficult than expected. I'm sure a summer ascent would grant some fun climbing. There was quite a bit of debris/trash I picked up from the summit. If you hike this mountain please remember to bring your chap sticks and power bar wrappers back down with you.

Don't go after a major rain. Too muddy to enjoy. Nice views.

Great trail my kids 4 and 8 yrs old loved it

adk firetower challenge
Fulton chain trifecta

We chose to do the more steep part of the loop on the way up and the longer but more easy going part of the loop on the way back. After doing such, we were happy we chose to do this as there were some rocky sections on the steep part that required some big steps even for us guys, myself being 6' tall. The terrain was more interesting on the steeper part of the loop but after enjoying the view at the top the more gradual way down was a relaxing and easy hike. One section was particularly muddy but most of it could be avoided by taking paths to the side which were pretty well worn. This seemed to be a pretty popular trail on the weekend and enjoyed it enough to consider trying it again sometime.

Great hike. Went solo, took me two and a half hours round trip. I had my lunch at the summit too. Great views. There are two paths, as I'm sure you've read. I took the blue, the steeper one, up and the yellow down. The blue was steeper for sure, with some rock scrambling in parts, but nothing difficult. Make sure you take the yellow for part of it, you get a view from the south of the mountain off to the side of trail!

Black Bear is a fun relatively easy hike that can be done with families that have small children. The hike starts off as an easy flat wide trail that branches off into two options after about a mile. The blue path is steeper, shorter and rockier with scrambling required toward the top. The yellow path is slightly longer, much less steep and requires no scrambling. I recommend climbing up the blue trail and down the yellow trail for a fun safe loop as you don't have to climb down the steep rocks. If you have small kids they may need assistance climbing toward the top of the blue trail. The view from the top is limited but very nice and this is a fun relatively easy hike.

Should you choose he blue trail. Please note that it requires some considerable scrambling near the summit and this may be challenging for little ones but fun for some children.

Things to know:
The trailhead is right off the side of rt 28 and shares a trailhead with Rocky Mountain

This is located in the town of inlet and there are plenty of shopping and eating and gas station options between inlet and old forge which is only about ten minutes away

There is a small stream at the start by the trailhead but no other water sources are available

Beautiful hike, even in gloomy weather! My dog loved it as well, we'll definitely be back.

My fave climb so far, muddy at points but you can get around most of them without much fuss. Incredible view!

Took the yellow trail up. Longer but more gradual. Had to occasionally run from the bugs. Blue trail returning. Steeper, faster. I had just completed Rocky Mt 30 min earlier. Won't be doing that again.. lol. Too much for me feets. 3 hrs to complete.

Great trail, amazing view!

Easy trail with some moderate steep areas. The blue trail is not as easy. Because of rain the day before it was uncomfortably muddy but had some nice views.

Great trail, Amazing view.

Great trail! Awesome view. Blue trail is difficult. Yellow trail is easy. If you are in for adventure, would definitely recommend going up the blue trail and back down the yellow.

Not a difficult hike. Ok for dogs and kids. There are 2 trail options. The yellow trail is a little longer, but easier if you have small kids with you. The other trail has a couple spots where you have to climb a couple boulders, but not difficult at all. Decent view at the top.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Incredible view from the top. Challenging walk