Big Slide Yard Mountain Loop Trail

Big Slide Yard Mountain Loop Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until March.

Big Slide can be done as an out & back (via The Brothers) accessed by John's Brook in Keane Valley or can be done as a loop (which is longer). From the parking lot you will start climbing immediately up a steady course to an attractive brook crossing. Past this point you will climb steeply to the amazing views from the 1st Brother. After a short descent you will climb steeply again up the slopes of the 2nd Brother and gain even more amazing views. Past the 2nd Brother you will drop into an open valley and start a much longer and steadier climb to the mostly wooded summit of the 3rd Brother. After another descent you will climb much more moderately to the second route, outlined below. From this intersection the trail becomes its steepest as you make the final push to the summit, where some of the best views in the NE can be awarded. (The trail continues over the top to Yard Mt. and another possible loop that includes Johns Brook Lodge.) For the most common loop, return to the base of the steep climbing and continue straight on a trail that eventually crosses Slide Mt. Brook several times before reaching the Johns Brook Trail. Turn left, and then left again at the trail register. After a brief climb from the register, the trail is mostly down to the Garden parking area. This return is 1.5 miles longer than returning over the Brothers.

Great, great hike with amazing views. I am already planning on coming back in the fall not only because a ton of people recommended it, it is easy to see that you will have some stunning views. Somewhat challenging in spots due to how wet and muddy everything was but well worth the effort. Fell into the creek on the way down but still had a great time.

Great hike. I would mark it as definitely difficult. Even though I consider myself fast and fit it's still took us more than 8 hours to do the whole thing with an hour break. My fit bit and an iPhone showed that this hike was 13 miles. Not 9.9 which added another hour and something. The hike is amazing. Very different. Beautiful and surprising. But a little muddy so grab extra socks if you get unfortunate like me and step into the mud. Would totally do it again but if you are inexperienced don't do it. It's hard and long.

Great hike! Parking at Garden Trail Head is hit or miss. I got there at 0500 and the lot was full. However, I talked to several people coming up the mountain as I was going down and they got spots at 0700-0900. It's hit of miss. Most of the elevation you'll encounter is getting onto the first Brother. After that it flows nice and easy. Once you see the sign for .3 to the summit, there is another little steep section but it isn't to bad. It only take about 15 minutes from that point to reach the summit. Great views almost all day, and it was a perfect day for me to finish my 46'ers!!

What a beast she is! An incredibly exciting and challenging hike with the first 3 miles ascending 2,800 feet roughly. Now to me this trail gets 5 stars and it deserves a hard rating. The 3 of us hiked it July 4th weekend and the trail was so wet and muddy because of the rains the prior weeks, it made it that much more challenging that's for sure! We initially had planned to do the loop which starts in garden, brothers, big slide, yard, back down Johns brook trial. However we got a late jump on the day (lot is almost always full by 5:30am). Good news is that there's a shuttle that runs every 20 minutes from the airfield that's like a few miles away so don't stress it actually was really simple and quick.

Ok back to this beast. We just ended up doing the out and back (about 10 miles) The way down was just as hard and challenging and the views were awesome! The good news was that on that Sunday July 2nd the weather was amazing with nothing but sun and blue sky which made the views going up and down the brothers some of the best I have seen! This trail is not for everyone as we saw a few people really struggling coming down (just as an FYI).

I love adventure and would hike anything and this trail is a must on the to do list for those of you out there that haven't yet. Definitely going back to compete the entire loop either in the fall or next summer!!

Went from Garden over the Brothers to Big Slide. There are amazing views going up and you can't help but stop to soak it in. The last climb up to Big Slide was steep and fun. It got a little crowded on top but not too bad. Skipped the Yard loop and went south down the rocky creek to Johns Brook trail and then looped back to the Garden trail head. This is a longer hike so bring enough food and water. Also, get to the trailhead early, I was there at 0530 and got the second to last parking space.

This trail is challenging, even harder when it is muddy.

Initially, we aimed to hike Big Slide, The Yard and down Johns Brook loop. We only made it to Big Slide via the Three Brothers - out and back. It had rained for 2 days straight with flash flood warnings prior to our hike. The trail that day was in bad shape and extremely hard as we jumped from stone to stone trying to avoid the 3-4 inches deep muddy trail for almost 7-8 hours. So fair warning if it has been raining for days to reconsider. Should you decide to do this loop, know that there will be a down stream brook you will have to cross. Ask the ranger about the current Brook condition, which could be a calm few inches to as high as waist deep with strong currents that could wipe you off your feet. On our day, we heard it was an extremely strong currents as high as our waist and we were not prepared to get that wet. We choose to be safe and hiked back out.

There are a few spectacular views from the Brothers and Big Slide - all which were very rewarding. Once at the first brother, I finally saw why hikers started at 4am to catch the sunrise at 7am. For me personally, there were a few huge rocks where I felt nervous climbing up but once we got to past it, we saw the blue markers and continued the hike.

Tips:
1. The Garden parking lot was full by 5:45am but there is a free public parking lot 2 miles away with a $10 shuttle to take you to Garden lot - Ask the Ranger. We got there around 10:30am and 4 cars left during the 20 mins it took us to drive to the public parking lot and catch the shuttle. I wish we waited about 15-20 mins.
2. Bring the 100% deet. There are swarms of biting black flies, which are no fun. We saw tons of people with mosquito net hat.
3. The youngest child I saw was prob the age of 9-10 - Def not a trail for small children.

I'll be revisiting the hike next summer better prepared and hoping for better weather that week... til next time Johns Brook.

Really good trail, quite challenging but not in a "stay away from it kind of way". We went in mid June and there were a lot of flies once the sun came out. Be prepared.

The part that surprised me the most is the difficulty going downhill AFTER the Big Slide towards Yard Mountain. The larger loop had some challenging aspects further compounded by rain the prior day. If you want to do Big Slide but are concerned about difficulty I would cut out the larger loop and go straight down towards the lodge from big Slide (skipping yard mountain completely)

Hiked Big Slide 3/19/2017. I knew from the forums that the trail had been scouted and packed down properly by @KVStreamer & crew. Started up from the Garden at 7am sharp. Made it to the first brother and was completely blown away with the views. I'm only on #8 but I think this may have been the best I've seen so far. I was surprised at the amount of wooded forest there is to do. I was expecting huge slab rock and ice etc etc. The walk was much simpler than anticipated for sure. By the time i got to the junction I had only passed by some really low level hairy spots. Had them in mind but wasnt very worried. The last section is for sure steep but nothing unmanagable. Made it to the top by 11:30ish and was more than fine with that time. On the way up I met forum member @MAlexander & crew. They passed by and I chatted with them again as they buttslided down after summiting. They assured me
I was close as close could be. After summiting I was greeted by a group of three, a man (Chris) and two women who were from I think it was Geneva, somewhere in Western NY. Nice people, chit chatted a bit. They had done Allen the day previous. I parted from them and headed back. Got to experience some higher speed buttsliding for the first time and i'll tell ya, it felt good! ;) Made it across all my concern spots and made excellent time down. Was in the car and happy as hell to have finished incident free by 2pm. All in all, a somewhat challenging hike but doable for most people. Except for the couple with insanely cute baby in Osprey crazy backpack thingy who waved and said hi & bye in passing. They were making the decision to turn around before the first brother :( He was ambitious to go but girlfriend was not amused and had made the call, lol. Hope they made it down safe. All told it was a killer day. Thanks for reading :P

Last 2 cents. If your really short you may need a hand up onto some things but all in all this can be done by anyone. It can be steep and is low level scary on a few open rock spots. You'll spend most of the time in a wooded forest on an almost flat to modearte grade, if you fell youd be fine, lol.