Big Slide Mountain via The Brothers

Big Slide Mountain via The Brothers is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, New York that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

47 minutes ago

Started up the Brothers at 6a. Sunrise was wonderful. The views are some the best in the Adirondacks and convinced me to hike back down the same way. The uphill was strenuous in the first stretch and again right before the peak. Great hike!

My boyfriend, dog and I did this hike mid August and we really enjoyed it. We got to the garden parking lot at 1pm and the sign said full so we parked at the Marcy Field parking lot and took the shuttle up (they allow dogs) only to find out there were actually a few spots open, the people just hadn't switched the signs yet. It took us 5 hours but we moved quick on the descent because it was starting to get chilly - only took us about an hour to get down.
It's super muddy at the top even considering it hadn't rained in a few days so make sure you have good waterproof hiking shoes or extra socks. Also, there's a bit of scrambling here and there so be prepared - we had a small/medium sized dog that needed some assistance. Definitely bring plenty of water, we ran out.
The views along the three brothers are absolutely amazing, that alone makes the trip worthwhile
All in all it was a hard but great hike, would recommend to anyone with a half day and some energy to burn.

This was a great hike that I probably would have enjoyed more if I wasn't so sore from hiking Wright, Algonquin and Iroquois the day before. You'll find yourself stopping a lot to take in the amazing views. In my opinion the best views are from the 2nd brother. I was out there for about 7 hours, but 2 hours of that was probably just sitting on one of the brothers or the summit taking in the views/relaxing. Trail was pretty muddy in spots, but overall I'd rate it as a moderate hike. Last .3mi to the summit is pretty steep

Great views - the first brother in particular. Was very wet when I went, had rained two days earlier so it does take time to dry out. Also, if you like blueberries there are tons of wild ones along the route.

Amazing views, fun slides. My only gripe is the brothers are not marked and there is no medallion at the summit of Big Slide. Minor gripes, so go for it!!

Some of the best views I've gotten on a high peak hike, possibly only rivaled by Giant. It's a must.

This seems to be a common sentiment throughout the previous reviews, but i'm going to parrot it anyways: You will get great views throughout this hike. With excellent views of Porter to the north and the lower Great Range (Gothics, Upper and Lower WJ, Armstrong, etc.) to the south, this short range should not be missed.

Some great scrambling/climbing sections- one just before the 1st brother and quite a bit between Bro 1 & 2. The 3rd brother is a little annoying in that of the 3- it adds the most elevation gain and loss but does not have a vista. When you're hiking it-it just feels like wasted energy. Like a few people have already stated, the last .3 can be steep. Muddy on wet days, but the ladders on a few of the slides do help.

Definitely an easier, family friendly range worth hitting up for a nice half-day romp- was able to complete in 4 hours 30 minutes Garden-to-Garden (includes summit stops).

*Note* This out and back over the 3 brothers from the garden is actually 8 miles rt not the 6.4 this trail review claims.

Several great views on the way up and at the summit. Some fun scrambling.

Great hike. Never have seen so many different views. Hike to first brother is a steady incline with great views along the way and on the summit. Hike to second brother is very easy. Hike to third brother is a steady incline as well. Not sure where the actual summit was. Last .3 miles is a good workout. Several spots on all of the mountains where scrambling is required.

This was a great hike with great views at the top. We left out of garden parking lot and at 6:30 on the weekend it was already full so plan on being there early or taking the shuttle from Marcy field (which happened to be broke down). We parked at the bottom of the hill and walked up. Muddy but understandable for the amount of rain we were getting. Taking the loop back makes you cross a stream multiple times so be prepared to get wet. Overall great time!