Big Slide Mountain via The Brothers

Big Slide Mountain via The Brothers is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, New York that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Did this saturday and the weather was perfect. Took us about five hours, probably would've been four if we didn't do the loop and just did out and back. Summit was very crowded as there's only a small spot that's bald.

Big Slide via the Brothers is a fantastic hike. Many great views as you work your way up. Lots of rock so way less mud than some trails. Really not all that difficult if you are in decent shape. We got caught in a torrential downpour as we dropped off the last Brother. The “Garden” parking lot fills fast but you can catch the Town of Keene shuttle for $10 per person round trip. I give this trail a big thumbs up for overall visual experience .

Great hike! The wooden stairs in the rain were a little iffy. But great views all the way up. My pup loved this trail!

I love trails that treat you to great views early and often! After the climb to the first brother things ease off a bit. I found myself stopping a lot in the Brothers area as the views just kept getting better and I wanted to take it all in. The top .3 miles is a little more strenuous, but not overly technical. Well constructed ladder helped. Great view across the valley from the summit to the Gothics and other peaks. Highly recommended! Well laid out trail that takes full advantage of the natural features. Plus we saw a marten on the summit!

Hello all you beautiful people!!! First time ever to the Adirondack park and I luved it. This was our 3rd day hiking and it took us 10 hours, lol. Now we are not particularly out of shape, but we took our time with lots of small breaks. Enjoyed the peaks of the brothers and the Big Slide to the fullest. I think i even had a small nap at one point. There were 3 of us: my 10year old son and a friend. We did the loop back via the slide mtn brook trail. All you hikers that made it back in 5 hours, WoW, amazing! We must the snails compared to you. Anyway, loved the scramble to the top, loved the cool damp forest between the Big slide and the third brother. and the crisp water of the mountain brook. Will definitely be back if it kills me, BTW, hiking sticks are a must. xoxox

This hike is beautiful! Perfect mix of interesting scramble, forest magic and lots of overlooks and ridge walking!

Finished my 46 on this mountain and it was a perfect choice. It’s a light and quick day (in terms of high peaks hiking that is). Took 5 hours on the dot including a half hour on top. A great hike because the views are constantly showing themselves on all the slab climbs so it’s a lot of fun. Each brother has great views and cool spots on each to hang out. Trail immediately climbs from the start then chills out a bit after getting up the first brother. One of my favorites would do again for sure

We hiked this trail (7th of the 46) on a sunny day in August. After the first half mile, the trail gets a bit more challenging up to the Brothers, but nothing too difficult. The hike across the 3 Brothers is mostly slides and a few steep rock assents, but take your time and they are fine. The final .3 miles to the summit is the most challenging, but again take your time. They have a newly installed ladder that helps a lot and the view is very good. Look for the survey marker (brass circle) towards the rear of the summit.

We had a beautiful day to enjoy the gorgeous views along the Brothers Trail to Big Slide. Some pretty steep ascents in the beginning going to the First And Second Brothers. Also some slightly intimidating rock scrambles but nothing too terrible. A little mud but not overly wet.
We decided to take the loop back and were lucky other hikers directed us as it’s not very well marked. As you head back down, instead of taking the blue trail back along the brothers (which would be turning left), go straight down the red marked trail along slide mountain brook until you hit some yellow no camping signs. If you head right from there, you go to Johns Brook Lodge. To get back to the Garden parking lot, make a sharp left over the wooden bridge and head along Phelps Trail, which is marked with yellow but has no sign identifying it as Phelps. It is longer back than it feels like it should be, maybe about 1.5 hours at a moderate pace. It took us 7 hours all in with probably a 30 min stop at the top. We took our time.

Outstanding! Moderate to difficult in some areas but strenuous areas are short lived. Great views of the great range! We left the trailhead at 5:45 am with headlamps; used them for about 10 minutes. Stopped several times for pics. 3 hours and 5 minutes to the summit. stayed at the summit 45 minutes as the clouds cleared and views became even more spectacular. Motored down with just a couple of new photo ops. Total trip 6 hours and 7 minutes including the 45 minute summit time.

Super fun trail, great views along the way and at the summit.

Great view at the summit!

Amazing views!!

We were a two-family group with kids ages 5, 6, and 7 (and a 1 year old in tow) and we all loved this hike. We took it only to the first brother, about 1.5 miles, and the view from there was fantastic. It was moderately difficult, especially with kids - some short sections of steel scramble - but definitely doable. All around great little hike!

Hiked big slide via brothers but did NOT make it up to big slide. This trail says it is dog friendly but unfortunately, we went during a heat advisory and my one dog who is 6 months could not complete the full trail. He did great other wise, we got to all three brothers. Great views even with out going to peak ! I will be back to complete! Maybe when my dog is a little older next time.

Favorite high peak yet, 8/46 for me. There's consistent breathtaking views as you wander from open rock face into shady forest and back out again. Perfect day, sunny & low 70s. Took 3 of us about 6.5 hours, going at a decent pace with a 20min break at the summit.

There's loads of rock scrambles on this trail, which keeps it interesting. I'd say it's a 50/50 ratio between rock scrambling and forest walking. The first mile and the last 0.3 mile is pretty strenuous but the views are worth it all.

**I read reviews before this hike that mentioned there were nearly-vertical rock scrambles near the top which is NOT true. The steepest rock has wooden ladders bolted into it to climb up. So don't freak out :)

Bring lots of water, start early, take your time, and bring some ibuprofen for your knees on the way down and you're golden.

One of my favorite hikes for the simple fact you can see amazing views so early and often. Took our time, about 7 hours round trip. But we weren't rushing. Nothing too crazy mud wise, just walk through it and you'll be fine. Steep on the way up to the brothers, but it fairly steady after until the last part - which is steep. Saw some harmless snakes that still gave me chills, but great hike and recommended highly! My gps had us about 9.4 miles RT via the Brothers.

Hiked (5/31/18) One of the best hikes I’ve ever done. My 3rd high peak and first solo! Started at the Garden and hike via The brothers and then hiked out John Brooks trail back to the garden. Round trip was 10 miles. Trail up was in great shape for first couple of miles. As you got closer to the summit it became more and more muddy...but nothing horrible and it was only for tiny stretches. You have astonishing views from numerous exposed overlooks on the way up...at least early on. The last mile or so you are in the woods. The last 3 tenths of mile to the summit is the most difficult...by far!! It’s exhausting but so worth it when summit. The hike out was about 2 miles longer but relatively an easy hike out...all down hill and /or flat. Fantastic day hike and highly recommended!

Overall good trail hiked 05/29/2018 my 10th highpeak. Amazing views on the way up. After the first initial elevation gain it is pretty flat until the last 0.3 miles which is very steep rock scrambles, Be prepared for the steepness.

Wow what a great trail! The rock scrambles are a challenge, but the views are totally rewarding! It’s a very nice balance though between walking through the woods and climbing. The last .3 miles to the Big Slide summit is definitely the most difficult as it is basically straight up slabs of rock. Took me a little over 6 hours round trip with time spent at the top of the second Brother and Big Slide. A great trail if you’re like me and on your way to becoming a more experienced hiker! (Also, my first 46er!) -Hiked 5/25/18

3rd high peak for me and one of my favorite trails I’ve ever done. I wouldn’t suggest this trail for beginners. It can be exhausting but it’s so much fun and worth it. The rock scrambles are a lot of fun and challenging! Muddy but walk through it to help preserve the trail. 100% do not recommend for young young kids or dogs. The Garden parking lot was packed by the time we got off the trail around 3:30pm (5 hours round trip) get there early. We crossed paths with a black bear! Be alert, make noise, get a bear bell and bear spray. Highly recommend this trail.

Hiked Big Slide today via The Brothers (5/5/2018) and it was amazing. The weather was mid-60s and slightly windy at the top. The posted sign at the trailhead said the hike was 3.9 miles to the summit, making the hike a total of 7.8 miles. The first hour or so of the hike is a total rock scramble up The Brothers, marked with blue foot trail signs and yellow markers on the rocks. There’s zero snow going up the rock scramble but once you begin the summit to Big Slide there’s a fair amount of snow and an uncomfortable amount of ice if you don’t wear spikes. But, if you don’t bring spikes, it’s not impossible; I saw several people summit without spikes although the struggle was real (especially coming down).

The climb to The Brothers is absolutely amazing because it’s an open view up the rock scramble. Once you start Big Slide, it’s all forest. You’ll know you’re close to the summit because you’ll hit a junction in the path that has a trail sign. The last 0.3 miles to the summit is relatively steep, but made much harder with all the ice.

Overall trail was fairly muddy/wet but that’s because it rained the day before. I met someone who summited Big Slide via The John Brooks trail and he was miserable. The John Brooks trail requires crossing a few streams which wouldn’t be all that bad in the winter or deep into the summer, but he ended up having to cross 15 foot wide streams/rivers because it flooded a ton. He ended up coming down Big Slide via The Brothers.

Lastly, parking at the Garden is very convenient and this early in the season, it’s free (although I think parking is 10 bucks in the late spring and summer). However, the parking lot is really small and if it’s a nice day (like today), you’ll want to hit the hike early so you can grab a parking spot.

This is my 5th high peak and by far my favorite (cascade, porter, Whiteface and Esther). The views are amazing and the rock scramble was something new. It took me 3 hours to get to the top and 2 hours down with a few minutes at the top of Slide and Brothers

The closest I’ve been to rock climbing without actually rock climbing. I’ve only done four of the 46 high peaks, but this was definitely my favorite so far. There were constant challenges which kept things interesting.

3 rd high peak for me. Loved it

A bit of ice and snow. Excellent views of the high peaks.

I enjoyed the hike but the shuttle wasn't running on 10/21/2017. This adds 1.2 miles each way from the closest parking when garden is full. Please plan on this if you are looking at doing this hike soon.

Loved this hike! My 4th high peak...
Weather conditions today were perfect. About 60 degrees and needed a winter hat/gloves at times bc the wind got a little chilly. Took us about 5 hours total and we hung out at the top
For a while. Parts got a little muddy but nothing too bad. A few pretty steep rock walls to climb up too which were exciting. Overall great day and my favorite so far !

Short and sweet! Steep at times, great views from the brothers.

Excellent hike with a variety of terrains and experiences. The trail starts out in the woods with you typical trail settings. It then opens up to reveal an excellent view of the surrounding high peaks. Next it takes you into rock scrambling and traversing over flat rock surface with great views again before finally returning you to the woods for a significant time before you reach the summit of Big Slide. There are steep areas throughout but this is broken up by nice stretches of flat areas which let you catch a reprieve. If/when you need to rest, wait until you get to one of the brothers because you get excellent views from there. The trail is very well marked throughout with blue markers and yellow paint. Only one time when the trail split where we lost track until we saw an orange arrow on the tree in the distance. Great views. Varied terrain. Level areas at points. Well marked. I would highly recommend this trail!

Things to know:
- Parking is at the Garden and it costs $10 now, not $7 as listed elsewhere
- The sign at the trailhead states it is 3.9 miles to the summit so it is a 7.8 mile round trip, not 6.4 as stated above
- I would NOT recommend this hike for young kids
- On the way up after one of the brothers there is a cool rock ledge/overhang that is easy to miss on your right on the way up but is noticeable on the way down

Thursday, September 21, 2017