Big Slide Mountain via The Brothers

Big Slide Mountain via The Brothers is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, New York that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

My boyfriend, dog and I did this hike mid August and we really enjoyed it. We got to the garden parking lot at 1pm and the sign said full so we parked at the Marcy Field parking lot and took the shuttle up (they allow dogs) only to find out there were actually a few spots open, the people just hadn't switched the signs yet. It took us 5 hours but we moved quick on the descent because it was starting to get chilly - only took us about an hour to get down.
It's super muddy at the top even considering it hadn't rained in a few days so make sure you have good waterproof hiking shoes or extra socks. Also, there's a bit of scrambling here and there so be prepared - we had a small/medium sized dog that needed some assistance. Definitely bring plenty of water, we ran out.
The views along the three brothers are absolutely amazing, that alone makes the trip worthwhile
All in all it was a hard but great hike, would recommend to anyone with a half day and some energy to burn.

This was a great hike that I probably would have enjoyed more if I wasn't so sore from hiking Wright, Algonquin and Iroquois the day before. You'll find yourself stopping a lot to take in the amazing views. In my opinion the best views are from the 2nd brother. I was out there for about 7 hours, but 2 hours of that was probably just sitting on one of the brothers or the summit taking in the views/relaxing. Trail was pretty muddy in spots, but overall I'd rate it as a moderate hike. Last .3mi to the summit is pretty steep

Great views - the first brother in particular. Was very wet when I went, had rained two days earlier so it does take time to dry out. Also, if you like blueberries there are tons of wild ones along the route.

Amazing views, fun slides. My only gripe is the brothers are not marked and there is no medallion at the summit of Big Slide. Minor gripes, so go for it!!

Some of the best views I've gotten on a high peak hike, possibly only rivaled by Giant. It's a must.

This seems to be a common sentiment throughout the previous reviews, but i'm going to parrot it anyways: You will get great views throughout this hike. With excellent views of Porter to the north and the lower Great Range (Gothics, Upper and Lower WJ, Armstrong, etc.) to the south, this short range should not be missed.

Some great scrambling/climbing sections- one just before the 1st brother and quite a bit between Bro 1 & 2. The 3rd brother is a little annoying in that of the 3- it adds the most elevation gain and loss but does not have a vista. When you're hiking it-it just feels like wasted energy. Like a few people have already stated, the last .3 can be steep. Muddy on wet days, but the ladders on a few of the slides do help.

Definitely an easier, family friendly range worth hitting up for a nice half-day romp- was able to complete in 4 hours 30 minutes Garden-to-Garden (includes summit stops).

*Note* This out and back over the 3 brothers from the garden is actually 8 miles rt not the 6.4 this trail review claims.

Several great views on the way up and at the summit. Some fun scrambling.

Great hike. Never have seen so many different views. Hike to first brother is a steady incline with great views along the way and on the summit. Hike to second brother is very easy. Hike to third brother is a steady incline as well. Not sure where the actual summit was. Last .3 miles is a good workout. Several spots on all of the mountains where scrambling is required.

This was a great hike with great views at the top. We left out of garden parking lot and at 6:30 on the weekend it was already full so plan on being there early or taking the shuttle from Marcy field (which happened to be broke down). We parked at the bottom of the hill and walked up. Muddy but understandable for the amount of rain we were getting. Taking the loop back makes you cross a stream multiple times so be prepared to get wet. Overall great time!

Here's the thing: You're going to capture breathtaking views on this route.
I parked in the Garden lot and hit the trailhead around 9 am. Maybe a half dozen cars joined me in the lot. There are flat stretches for most of the first half mile or so before starting up toward the first brother. I mistakenly thought the first open rockface portion of the climb was the top of brother 1 but you'll find there are 3-5 mini-scrambles to the top. It's too tempting not to take a small break each time you overlook the range. It can get very windy up here, so hang onto your hat. Once you get your fill, it's a short way to brother 2 before you start heading toward Big Slide. Again, there are ample flat stretches as you approach Slide. The last 0.3 is steep but manageable thanks in part to a log ladder.

Unfortunately not the best views on top of Big Slide thanks to significant cloud cover, but they moved through quickly which was cool to see and gave some brief openings. The marker is hard to spot if you're searching for it. It's in the wooded region toward the back of the summit, near where you continue onward down the trail.

Nevertheless, a successful daytrip coming up from Syracuse. Cool, breezy, slight drizzle and mid 50s for the ascent and sunny and mid-60s on the way back. Bug spray was necessary and a godsend on the return. Encountered a few black flies, but no issues there.

Amazing views

Hiked Big Slide 3/19/2017. I knew from the forums that the trail had been scouted and packed down properly by @KVStreamer & crew. Started up from the Garden at 7am sharp. Made it to the first brother and was completely blown away with the views. I'm only on #8 but I think this may have been the best I've seen so far. I was surprised at the amount of wooded forest there is to do. I was expecting huge slab rock and ice etc etc. The walk was much simpler than anticipated for sure. By the time i got to the junction I had only passed by some really low level hairy spots. Had them in mind but wasnt very worried. The last section is for sure steep but nothing unmanagable. Made it to the top by 11:30ish and was more than fine with that time. On the way up I met forum member @MAlexander & crew. They passed by and I chatted with them again as they buttslided down after summiting. They assured me
I was close as close could be. After summiting I was greeted by a group of three, a man (Chris) and two women who were from I think it was Geneva, somewhere in Western NY. Nice people, chit chatted a bit. They had done Allen the day previous. I parted from them and headed back. Got to experience some higher speed buttsliding for the first time and i'll tell ya, it felt good! ;) Made it across all my concern spots and made excellent time down. Was in the car and happy as hell to have finished incident free by 2pm. All in all, a somewhat challenging hike but doable for most people. Except for the couple with insanely cute baby in Osprey crazy backpack thingy who waved and said hi & bye in passing. They were making the decision to turn around before the first brother :( He was ambitious to go but girlfriend was not amused and had made the call, lol. Hope they made it down safe. All told it was a killer day. Thanks for reading :P

Last 2 cents. If your really short you may need a hand up onto some things but all in all this can be done by anyone. It can be steep and is low level scary on a few open rock spots. You'll spend most of the time in a wooded forest on an almost flat to modearte grade, if you fell youd be fine, lol.