Big Slide Mountain via The Brothers

Big Slide Mountain via The Brothers is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, New York that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Loved this hike! My 4th high peak...
Weather conditions today were perfect. About 60 degrees and needed a winter hat/gloves at times bc the wind got a little chilly. Took us about 5 hours total and we hung out at the top
For a while. Parts got a little muddy but nothing too bad. A few pretty steep rock walls to climb up too which were exciting. Overall great day and my favorite so far !

Short and sweet! Steep at times, great views from the brothers.

Excellent hike with a variety of terrains and experiences. The trail starts out in the woods with you typical trail settings. It then opens up to reveal an excellent view of the surrounding high peaks. Next it takes you into rock scrambling and traversing over flat rock surface with great views again before finally returning you to the woods for a significant time before you reach the summit of Big Slide. There are steep areas throughout but this is broken up by nice stretches of flat areas which let you catch a reprieve. If/when you need to rest, wait until you get to one of the brothers because you get excellent views from there. The trail is very well marked throughout with blue markers and yellow paint. Only one time when the trail split where we lost track until we saw an orange arrow on the tree in the distance. Great views. Varied terrain. Level areas at points. Well marked. I would highly recommend this trail!

Things to know:
- Parking is at the Garden and it costs $10 now, not $7 as listed elsewhere
- The sign at the trailhead states it is 3.9 miles to the summit so it is a 7.8 mile round trip, not 6.4 as stated above
- I would NOT recommend this hike for young kids
- On the way up after one of the brothers there is a cool rock ledge/overhang that is easy to miss on your right on the way up but is noticeable on the way down

Beautiful views over the Brothers

This trail is actually about 8 miles. I frequently hike but this is my 5/46 and so far, my favorite! It rained the day before so the trail was a little bit soggy but not dangerous. Absolutely recommend!

so this trail is closer to 8 miles. but worth every step awesome views all along this trail pretty moderate hike love this one!! After Whiteface and Esther this was a great one to do!!

Started out this hike at the garden. Lot was almost full. I was lucky to find a spot. Started out this hike on a totally beautiful day. What an awesome hike. The brothers were a total blast. Such a fun hike. I met up with Dan and his wife and their dog Zoe. Both 46ers! Great people who let me tag along and listen to their experiences on their quest for the 46. Made it such a great time. Made it up to Big Slide, An absolutely amazing view of so many peaks. I can't say enough about how great Dan and his wife were! As we headed down we came across a guy named Tyler and his dad. Tyler was finishing up his 46 on Big Slide, with his dad! One day before he moves back to Vancouver. What can I say, a totally awesome day! Do not miss out on this hike.