Big Hill and Jackie Jones Mountain Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(413)
Harriman State Park

Big Hill and Jackie Jones Mountain Loop is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stony Point, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and snowshoeing and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 964 feet Route Type: Loop

This is considered a loop trail. Hikers be aware that you should turn back at Big Hill to complete the loop.

Thank you A ja! Your comments about the trail were very helpful. The Fire Tower has amazing 360 degree views. There's also remnants of an old castle/house at the beginning of the yellow trail.

we meant to hike a little further west but the parking was scarce. we stopped at the first place we found parking at 8:15am and it turned out to be a pretty great hike. we followed the yellow trail counter clockwise, with the intentions to get the steep incline over with in the beginning. it was a good choice. we climbed the fire tower, also worth it for the view. we followed the turquoise trail back to old turnpike and back to the yellow.

I had a great time hiking this trail with my dogs. I had no problems with the markings at all but I followed an actual map instead of the app. A Ja’s advice was helpful. I have been doing mostly easy to easy/ moderate hikes due to injuries. This was a perfect step up. A solid light moderate hike. On my way up I hardly saw anyone. The trail got a busier after 10:30. The only thing I didn’t like is that there were just a few creeks were my water loving dog could cool off.

Great trail and because of the reviews I wore bug spray and was fine! I loved it for a quick hike that was pretty easy with slight elevation and rocky areas. Although it was confusing at times, I found it easy to get back on track. I did back track 3 times during my hike. Recommend for a quiet Saturday hike. I saw little orange salamanders and deer which was lovely!

It’s an easy to moderate hike. Got off trail on the way back it’s a little confusing so took the road down.

The loop contained very diverse terrain and some cool landmarks like the fire tower, shelter and estate. The reason I am not giving it five stars is because the trail is poorly marked and the red outlined loop drawn on all trails isn't accurately placed on-top of the correct dotted path as shown. As a result, there were a couple of times we thought we weren't going the right direction and several times that we went the wrong direction and had to turn back. I recommend following the reviewer A ja's directions as those were the most accurate especially for returning back from Big Hill. We accidentally continued onto the turquoise instead of making a left onto Old Turnpike and finding the tree with the two notches. It wasn't until I thankfully saw A ja's directions that we found the correct way back. Remember to wear your sunscreen and bring a hat! Don't forget your mask either and make sure to step off trail if another person is coming. Safe travels everyone.

Following the Yellow, then Turquoise Blaze and an unmarked trail hiking counterclockwise to finish the loop. Hike gets better after the fire tower. When following the Turquoise blaze you will cross a wide rocky trail ( Old Turnpike). Remember this because you will cross it on the return. Be sure not to continue on the Turquoise on the return because you will end up going in the wrong direction and not continuing the loop. Instead make a left on Old Turnpike and travel up hill approx 100 yds. You will see a trail on the right marked by notches in a tree. Travel on this (notched tree) trail back to the Yellow blaze.

Great trail! The Fire Tower viewing is awesome. A little over 4 miles for the entire hike.

Great Trail. Hiked into Big Hill and took the trail down into the reservoirs and met up with the woods roads until I reached The Long Path. I saw a mid-sized cub down here the second reservoir.

Very nice trail. Solid 4.5 miles, little of two hours. We got there early (started around 8am) and it was empty. Beautiful views of the Hudson and NYC from the top of the fire tower and the summit. We did encounter a black bear about 30 feet away from us at the summit which was a heart stopper!

A hiker informed us there was a aggressive bear on the trail. So we turned around halfway through.

Great trail, moderate effort. Well marked, but for turns in the trail you’ll need to rely on this app’s map to double check you’re heading in the right direction. Got to enjoy the few babbling brooks with very few people around.

It’s a nice trail. I started with yellow sign and followed it until met across of green and yellow sign. It is easy to get off trial here. If you want to see the peak view, you’ll need to follow the green and yellow signs combined. However, if you continue with the yellow sign along after the peak, you’ll not get back to the loop, or it will take you to a much longer loop. So if you are returning to where you started, you’ll need to go back to where the green and the yellow came across from the peak point and then follow the green sign for a mile. Here’s where I got off trail. Continue to the end of the green sign, it will take you to another end. So once you’re on green trail, make sure you follow All Trail app and you should be able to see where to make last turn to get back on yellow trail .

Hiked with wife and 3 kids and dog. Nice moderate trail with some great views.

Great trail. A bit easy to get lost and veer off onto different trails, so keep the trail map handy if you can. Not too difficult, just a bit of huffing and puffing on the inclines. The fire tower is really neat and there’s a great overlook with a stone building and there were remnants of a grill up there. Fun! Wear shoes that can handle small, loose rocks well- a lot of the trail is full of em! Edit: Social distancing was fairly easy! Even on a really warm weekend late morning/early afternoon, we managed to avoid crowds and stay relatively far from other hikers.

Great hike with some nice little waterfalls and views. Lots of elevation on this one the whole way.