Bethpage Bikeway Trail

Bethpage Bikeway Trail is a 14.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bethpage, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Bethpage Bikeway generally follows the Parkway from the Massapequa Preserve in the South to Bethpage State Park in the North.The trail itself is an even paved surface for the entire length.

best trail

Great trail but heavily trafficked on weekends. Lots of wildlife.

beautiful trial

Went for a walk along paved bike path (was not equipped to go hiking). Started in Bethpage and headed north. Path was well kept and was moderately trafficked--there were stretches of solitude. People (bikers, walkers, joggers, and people with leashed dogs) seemed to share the path well--one or two people on their phone, but otherwise a pleasant walk. Path does cross a few major roads, but they are well marked an have traffic signals. At times the path skirts along suburbia.

It was mostly flat in this direction, with a moderate hill at about mile 1. Parts were pleasantly shaded, but the more north (closer to LIE, which is where I turned around), it was open.

Bethpage State Park charges $8 to park, they have a map of hiking trails which appears to be somewhat reliable, if not terrifically detailed. Where the hiking paths cross the bike path, the blazes appear to be intact and highly visible. I plan on returning to explore more!

Just did the 12.5 mile ride from Woodbury to Massapequa. Tons of windy and narrow paths, populated on the weekends with joggers, dog walkers, and bikers. There are several road crossings (including some highway ramps near the beginning and middle).

The 12.5 mile path starts in Woodbury, heads along the highway in Trailview State Park, into Bethpage State Park, then along the highway to Massapequa Preserve. Crossing a road brings you to the southern part of the Preserve, until you hit Massapequa / Biltmore Shores.

As far as the content, there are several climbs, most notably at the beginning (with 20+ mph sections), including along the highway, and before road crossings. Many bikers of all skill levels are on this path, so stay in your lane and call when you need to pass.

Being not in the best condition myself, the climbs were difficult, but rewarding with the downhill sections, and overall was a great experience, though I wouldn’t put this as my first time trail if I knew there were some intense climb sections.

The souther you go, the more windy the paths get, perfect for single-gear riders, with some tiny dips and climbs. The Massapequa Preserve part has some good scenery with plenty of people near the lake, with less bikers and more pedestrians here than Bethpage State Park. All three areas (Trailview, Bethpage, Massapequa) offer some off-road sections, but not for the inexperienced biker.

I have yet to do this opposite (south to north end), and it’s perfectly fine if you start from different points on the bike way; there are plenty of drop-in and drop-off spots. I would recommend this if you got a few hours to spare.

Lucky for me, I live 1/3 of a mile from an access point. I can take the trail from my house to Woodbury and back for a 24 mile ride with only a few road crossings and lots of shaded trail. Best done on a weekday.

Nice trail with several side trails to walk along. You have the option to make the hike as short of as long as you would like.

Yesterday was amazing I didn’t even know this trail was that long! I was able to see wild rabbits, ducks, geese and more! I love nature and the outdoors. I’m so proud of myself over 15 miles!!

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Great scenic path. Fun for the whole family.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Rode it this past Sunday mid-morning with my 14 year old son. We started at the nothern most parking (which has space for 6 cars + 1 handicap spot). We rode to Sunrise Highway and back, about 20 miles round trip. As it got later in the morning, the path became more crowded mostly with pedestrians toward the southern end of the route. Similar to the Vanderbilt path, there were pedestrians and cyclists with ear plugs or headphones. Some cyclists were inexperienced on paths; stopping in the middle, pulling off to the left without looking behind...
All in all the path is nicely paved and is best for cycling in the morning on weekends, or possibly more times on weekdays.

Monday, July 31, 2017

First time .. a nice challenging experience!

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Perfect trail for road bikes, running, walking, etc. there is a dirt trail that runs parallel for most of the time which is good for newbie trail bikers or any trail runners. Ended up in massapequa park. Not sure if this is considered the same trail but they merged seamlessly. Not too crowded was alone for 5-10 min stretches. Some dogs on leash. Will come again. $8 parking fee if you park in the bethpage lot.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Beautiful trail to walk on

Sunday, February 05, 2017

good dirt trails for runs. slightly confusing splits, but good quality.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Easy ride, usually very crowded on weekends. The winds can make on direction or the other very tough.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Ride this 3-4 times a week, always a good ride, great views, mix of serious and leisurely cyclists.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Beautiful year round and easy for all ages.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Beautiful scenery, not to crowded. Very enjoyable.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Wish it would expand from north to south shore.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Great day, beautiful trails, so much wildlife and the smell of the flowers was everywhere. Clean trails and respectable people on the trail. Highly recommended......

Thursday, August 20, 2015

the section I was on was very wide. room for 2 bikes to ride side by side going either way with still room to maneuver if needed.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

I'm from out of town and found this while looking for a place to run. I saw many walkers on the trail as well as a few bikers. I saw no dogs on trail at all. I was on a small section that was beautifully paved. looks like a great place to possibly rollerblade too! I ran on a Thursday morning around 9-10am.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Amazing trail

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Saw a cute little chipmunk cross our path while hubby and I rode our bikes from Old Bethage to
Bethpage ...can't wait for the leaves to change colors!

Monday, July 28, 2014

Why is there a law forbidding dogs but all I see is countless dogs? They ruin it. Fine the owners 500 dollars and watch how fast they stop bringing their dogs

Sunday, April 20, 2014

This is a great trail for Mountain Bikes, Hybrid Bikes, and Dual Sport Bikes. The trail can get a little rough for Road Bikes. The only problem is the stupid people with dogs. There are signs everywhere that state "NO DOGS ALLOWED". There are so many idiots with dogs on the trail that make it extremely dangerous for bike riders. I watched a couple in front of me enjoying their bike ride when a dog on a long leash ran in front of them and both the man and women fell off their bikes and hurt themselves bad. I felt terrible for them. I am not a dog hater. I have two dogs that I love and I would never bring either one of them onto this trail. There should be some official from the Town Of Oyster Bay or someone who can enforce this law. Also, along the way on the southern portion of the trail there are beautiful spots with benches to sit, take a break, and watch the beauty of the wildlife. This however is just about impossible when you have dogs barking their heads off scaring away all the ducks, swans, geese, and birds. Other than the dangerous and disruptive dogs, it is a great trail with both paved and dirt trails. When you are close to the Bethpage Golf course, the trail becomes hilly and is not for the beginner. If you are a beginner, just plan to walk your bikes up the hills. Again, someone needs to enforce the NO DOG LAW because if they did, this would be a gem in the middle of crowded streets filled with cars and trucks. Because no one is enforcing the NO DOG LAW I am giving this trail 3 Stars. Get rid of the damn dogs and I will give this trail 5 Stars.

Monday, December 31, 2012

I haven't biked the entire trail, just the lower part through the Massapequa Preserve. I love walking in the preserve. There is a nice paved trail on the East side of the woods, and a dirt trail ( good for walking or mountain bikes) on the West side of the Mass. Preserve. There is a pretty stream that runs along the paved trail. I have seen Blue Herons in here. And no ticks. Good in all seasons. Not supposed to have dogs, but people bring them in- stay to the dirt trails. Can be very busy in summer and on weekends.

recorded Bethpage Bikeway Trail