Bennett Hill

Bennett Hill is a 2.6 mile loop trail located near Feura Bush, New York and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

easy hike, close to home, partial views, quiet countryside Bennett Hill is a nature preserve south of Albany near the Helderbergs. It rises 400 feet above the village of Clarksville below. From the kiosk, follow the yellow trail along the edge of woods and the adjacent dairy farm. On your right you can see Cass Hill. After 1/2 mile, the trail begins the climb up the back side of the Bennett hill. In a short distance, the trail turns sharply to the left. The trail, still climbing, then makes a sharp turn to the right. This turn is easy to miss as there is another trail that continues straight ahead along this plateau. The trail continues its gradual climb until it reaches the top of the hill. Here there is a green trail which circles the relatively flat summit. The best view is at the North end of loop. It is a little overgrown, but there you can still see Albany in the distance.

Nice nature walk hike, when the trail splits I recommend going north (left). The cows say hi when you walk by and it takes about 2.5 hours round trip with no stops.

Easy to moderate hike just under 3 miles. Easy to find, nice day hike with views of downtown Albany in early November

Nice trail but didn’t really have a view. Gorgeous land walking in next to the farm though. Would recommend!

I really enjoyed this trail. Steep in some locations to make you feel like you're working, quiet and really nice views.

Went today with 5 of my 7 kids ages 2-10 (the 2 oldest stayed home). My 2 year old rode in a 3 wheel jogging stroller for much of the uphills (to steep for him); made my trek quite a workout going up ... but at the top, he walked the entire top section. Overall, this could be a really good hike if it weren't for the bugs ... they were HORRIBLE ... (and navigating the stroller over the quite muddy sections only maybe 5-6 sections a couple yards long (except the first one which is about 20 yards, but that was my choice). Very small, but nice view at the top ... took us a total of maybe 90 mins, with the stroller and toddler walking speeds.

Went on a cool and cloudy April day after a couple of rainy days. The trail was muddy in spots...boots strongly recommended if it's been wet.
Steep in spots, but not technically difficult. No rock scrambling. Some views of Albany area at the top, but overall limited views.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Nice trail, but mostly uphill and poorly marked up at the top. The view was not good at the top due to the trees, so it was disappointing. I would not rate this as an easy trail. I would rate it as moderate. Good leg and cardio workout.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Nice walk through the woods, only one nice view at the top in summer, probably better in winter when there's no leaves on the trees. Good for a half-day trip.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Nice Hill loop, Fantastic views of the Bennet Hill Farm on the way in, went at sunset was very impressed. Watch out there fence is electrified :p

Monday, May 02, 2016

I am betting this trail is a lot more pretty in the fall as it is really just a walk through the woods with a couple nice views from the top.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Fun easy hike. Climbing Bennet is a good workout without being too taxing. the views are amazing on the way up peeking through the trees. I do wish there was a crystal clear top view because the glimpses are picturesque and very classic New York.

Monday, September 08, 2014

Did it w my 6 and 3 year olds. They had fun seeing the cows at the beginning and catching lots of toads. The trail map at the trail head has the green trail and yellow trail marked the opposite, which was confusing but its well marked once we figured that out. The view once we found it was beautiful, but left me wishing there were more clear areas to see out . Perhaps we'll try it again in the fall. Fun little hike.

Thursday, June 05, 2014

a lot steeper than it seems, still nice, easy to lose trail.

Sunday, October 07, 2012

Another great hike for anyone with kids. My 5 year old had no problem at all. He found a piece of slate and was drawing on it with another rock - old school blackboard! Great way to spend a couple of hours on a great fall day. Very well marked, we did the yellow loop on top, next time we will do the red. Loved this little hike!

Monday, September 24, 2012

What a great little hike. The trail traverses twice and gently loops around the back of the hill. There are a few places where the trail can be lost if you really want to loose it, but there isn't that far to go in any direction - getting lost would be hard. The climb up is mostly deciduous and top of the hill is mostly evergreen. The trail loops around the front side of the hill and sneaks by a beautiful wildflower glen. A great local hike, for sure. Keep your eyes out for one of the oldest Oak trees I've ever seen standing guard on the Southeast side of the peak.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Today, on one of the last nice days of summer I hiked Bennett Hill, The start is flat and borders a farm with many cows. Then it climbs and twists through the woods. Trail is well groomed with bridges. I saw asters, chipmunks, moss, an old bathtub. Vegetation changed from deciduous to more evergreen at the top. I saw what looked like a shrine. I understand there is a view but I missed that. - Brad