Belfrey Mountain

Belfrey Mountain is a 0.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Witherbee, New York that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Easy 0.8 mile RT hike on a wide access road to a firetower with a nice view. At 1840 feet, Belfry Mountain is a short hike (0.35 miles) to a summit of only 1840 feet but it offers a great view. The trail consists of a service road that is used for the communications tower at the top and the firetower.

Great little walk or short run along a dirt road. However Very rewarding views from the Fire Tower Cab for the short distance. Stopped here after Poke-O-Moonshine and was not disappointed.

It's not a hike. We did this after Cheney Mountain to grab some extra easy views and check it off the fire tower challenge. I didn't mind that it was an access road or that there were antenna buildings... But, I was let down by the amount of trash and graffiti... I get that it's a party spot and don't have a problem with that... But, at least please pick up your garbage.

So super easy but yet cool. If you have kids or don’t hike much this is the one. Great views easy hike fire tower have a little lunch and relax.
Another fire tower down

Great hike for the firetower challenge. 30 minutes up and back

If your looking for a "hike" this isn't it. If you want to see a firetower and some amazing views, this is the place. We did this one on a 88 degree day and thank goodness it wasn't any more than what it is. Glad it's part of the firetower challenge

Easy, short walk up a gravel road. You can climb the tower which has beautiful views. If your in the area you should take a few minutes and check it out. Parking is roadside across from the trail, small sign posted at entrance.

Super easy
Outstanding views
A great cherry on top of a weekend of Adk adventure

Not a hike. I did this a month after having my hip labrum repaired and I was on crutches.
Do this if you are working towards your firetower badge. Otherwise do yourself a favor and pick a slightly challenging hike for far better views and more hiking effort/fun.

Great sunset. Just a short walk up a gravel road and you're there.

If you're in the area and want a quick stop this hike is definitely a cool place to go. It's quick, easy, and it's on a gravel road. Beautiful sights at the top of the fire tower.

Climbed up the fire-tower steps around dusk and although the hike is on a gravel road and not enjoyable at all, I loved the view from the top. I liked looking into Vermont's Green Mountains and also enjoyed doing a altitude comparison with the water tower that was to the north. I also liked looking out at the small town with the sky turning all shades of pink and purple. Hard to beat the effort to payoff ratio here.

very easy hike, took my son and i 5 minutes to the top. beautiful views from the top of the fire tower!

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Incredibly easy! Google maps are horrible sometimes, when you get off 87 and onto Tracy road, follow it to a stop sign and take the left on Dalton something road/ County Route 70. The parking area is up ahead shortly on the right. Again, very easy.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Easy hike for children. Good view from the top. Incredible views from the fire watch tower.

Friday, January 15, 2016

Super easy climb, barely a hike. Takes about 10 minutes at a slow pace. Great views, especially from the fire tower.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Completed this as part of the firetower challenge. Has to be the easiest hike ive ever done in my life. I wouldn't even call this a hike. you walk up an access road. took us 18 mins round trip and that was with climbing up the tower, taking some pics, and taking our time due to just hiking big slide mt right before this. (our legs were sore haha)

Beautiful day we went on tho, the foliage was gorgeous so the views were nice.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

This was a quick and easy walk to do. The whole walk took me 15 mins round trip. The views in the tower were nice, but there's other towers around it. The day I went the view was a little foggy. I would say that this is a beginners trail to start on since there's minimal effort involved. I had to do this to get my fire tower badge.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Nice view and tower with minimal effort. Just a quick walk up an access road. Round trip took less than a half hour.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Very easy hike... about 10-15 minutes on a dirt road. Really just a walk in the woods. But nice views from the fire tower.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Great "hike" for a check off the list to earning your firetower patch! Beautiful view from the top of firetower but the firetower is covered in antenas, and cameras!