Bear Mountain Loop Trail

Bear Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bear Mountain, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Steep inclines up to Bear Mtn summit - features incredible views

Very steep inclines at certain points. Enjoyed it.

great

Great view, I loved every minute of the hike.

Definitely take the Major Welch up and the AT down. We did a 3hr 45 min hike with our two girls (6, 7) and an old-ish dog (10) and it was an excellent scramble up rocks. Great views. Very rewarding day out. And at the Inn, there is good food, an ice rink and a merry-go-round (and ice cream!) for kids to enjoy. And beer for adults. :-)

Great hike and I loved the view

excellent day for a hike

I did Major Welch up and AT down. Glad I did. I wouldn't have wanted to walk up all those man made stairs on the AT. Enjoyed all the different types of terrain - including snow! Will do again!

One of my favorite

We did this hike two weeks ago so I can't speak to current conditions (with snowfall and colder temps this week.) However, being a relative novice to hiking in this area I did stop into the ranger station to ask about conditions and I was told that all trails were open and in good condition. Not exactly. We took the Major Welch Trail up and found conditions near the top more challenging than expected. Sheets of ice on certain steep technical portions definitely made me wish I had crampons. Going down the Appalachian Trail was much easier. Anyhow, it was a great hike but I just wanted to give people who may be unaware the heads up.

The way the loop is shown on alltrails sucks. I went there today, paid the $10 parking fee, and from the parking lot went left onto the major welch trail. Taking it to the left was no fun, all stairs! If you do the loop, I recommend going to the right of the lake and take major welch from there. All steep and technical, which are the best hikes imo. I also recommend taking seven lakes road to the appalachian trail, no parking fee and the hike is technical to the top of the observatory.