Bear Mountain Loop Trail

Bear Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bear Mountain, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This steep incline up to Bear Mountain summit features incredible views.

Southern half of trail is in excellent condition and not difficult (though of course involves assent/descent) but the northern half is very much a work in progress (2018)...easy to lose trail in which case (though eventually one does reach summit) one is occasionally in for a tough climb.

Nice view!

Definitely should get to the parking lot at the Inn early if you get there early enough there’s plenty of parking, heads up unless you don’t mind hiking back up the mountain to the tower after you finish this loop you should definitely park your car at the Parking lot next to the Inn. Besides that great trail !

The trail itself is great. I think i would really like it on another day.
The problem we had was it was beyond humid and it was the morning after July 4th celebrations and people had left garbage everywhere! Such sadness - pick up after yourselves, people

But the trail itself is nice. It has some steep sections but some nice view points!

Fun hiking trail!

first time hiking ever. trail was very challenging for a first timer but even my 6 year old could handle it. definitely sparked an interest in hiking for the both of us

Great trail. Lots of rock scrambling. Definitely feel accomplished after.

Pro: Well marked trail, good work out in a hot and humid day.
Cons: too much people and some people put loud music on the trail.

Love it.

very crowded on a Saturday. I had to pay ten dollars for parking. the trail is not very well marked and stops at the road several times with long stretch down on paved road as well. I went up the red trail down white.

Wow now this hiking trail has way too many Stairs that is what makes it challenging and when you arrived to the top there a road for car's to pass by I didn't like that it didn't really feel like a hiking trail.

Fun and dynamic hike! We did it in reverse for a little extra challenge.

Along with my two beagles and my friend, I started and parked the car at Perkins Memorial tower. This was probably not the smartest thing because in the end we had to climb back up to get back to where we parked the car. I would recommend starting at the Inn by Hessian Lake. Please be on the lookout for black snake as we saw one on the the climb back and was warned about it by another hiker on the way down toward the lake. Absolutely gorgeous view and a great satisfying hike.

Worth the work!!! Not a loop as stated though, you can take one of 3 ways up/ down the mountain. We took the red trail up and partially down and then took the white (Appalachian) trail down after the tower. It started out moderate then got relatively difficult relatively quick, several very steep sections leading to BEAUTIFUL views, breathtaking honestly, NYC in the distance was unreal. The hike down on the red/white to white trail was moderate and a breeze after the red trail up. Well worth it!!!

Nice little hike. The trail was a crowded and I didn't love hiking on the paved roads (although it does look like they might have been doing trail maintenance so this might be temporary). I'm never thrilled when you hike to a summit that people can drive to but I guess you can't really blame the mountain for that ;). The hike down the Major Welch section took a little longer than the hike up because of managing the rocks. I have been told by multiple NYers that this is a great hike....its not the hike they hyped it up to be. Completed this in about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Had lots of fun! Great views of the Hudson and surrounding hills. Multiple stop offs with views along the way.

Great day hike. I’d definitely recommend doing the trail counter-clockwise and not doing it at all if it’s rainy since the boulder scramble will be slippery.

love this trail

Did this backwards (Major Welch first) today, and it was great but surprisingly tricky and occasionally difficult to find the trail on the way up. Views are fantastic, not a ton of wild life but some great birds soaring.

The top has a good view but I actually thought some of the views on the way up MW were better than the top! And yes, people are parked up but you walked, so feel good and enjoy it as much as they are.

It seems under specified here: the Major Welch section is a serious hike! Yes you're not vertical rock climbing but there is more scrambling than I've done on many other trails and you DO need to be comfortable with heights. I took someone less serious about hiking and they were surprised (as was I!) that I'd taken them on this route! I would not want to do MW downwards or in the wet either - it's fun but it was fun because it's dry.

The overall trail has lots of people even on a Monday and many are not serious hikers, which depending on how you like your trail pals is good, neutral, or bad!

Bring grippy shoes with good ankle support.

Love this trail. I’ve been coming here for years with my kids. Lot of great memories.

Was a great hike did the route backwards went up the Major welch trail first ,and down the AT .
Amazing views of the Hudson river and surrounding area

Really nice trail, started with the steps, then thru the very steep descent. Good workout, and the view is amazing!!! My 9 year old got thru with no issues!

easy to acces from new york. nice walk a little bit climbing on one site. easy to walk on the other one

Day hike. Nice climb to start, was a clear day, NYC skyline in full view. Easy downhill on well maintained trail steps. Great views of Bear Mountain Bridge and the Hudson Valley.

Went yesterday and did the route leading up the steps instead of going along the lake first. Everyone was warning us after the tower that it was a steep descent but fortunately we didn't have any problems (maybe it was the fact we were wearing hiking shoes and everyone else was in nike trainers?). Seemed like we might've had the easier route since everyone looked wiped out coming from the other way. It was a quick and steady incline the way we went but after the tower, there wasn't much of a challenge besides trying to not fall on our butts during the steep descent :) Took us 2 hours with a sandwich break.

So many people. But it was good start.

Went during mid-March. At least a foot of snow still present at the higher elevations. Really enjoyed the first half of the trail up to Perkins Tower. Beautiful views and you can even see the distant New York City skyline. Trail becomes more populous on the AT portion back to Hessian Lake. Not a fan of walking on paved roads or the many stone staircases to finish the loop but I guess no other safer way. I prefer a less groomed trail I guess. Still a wonderful hike!

Great view at the peak, would be 5 stars but it's not much of a hike. Stairs on the trail and a road to the top strip it of being a 5 star.

Decent trail, but it's not a real hike. More of a walking trail. Lots of stairs and very close to the Bear Mountain resort. So if you prefer hiking in more remote areas then feel free to skip this one. That said, the view from the peak is decent. Just don't be a cheater and drive to the peak. Hike to the peak. This is All Trails. Not All Roads.

Cool views but you can drive to the top so it was pretty crowded.