Bear Mountain Loop Trail

Bear Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bear Mountain, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Steep inclines up to Bear Mtn summit - features incredible views

49 minutes ago

Just okay in my opinion. Definitely a nice area, and I could see Bear Mountain being very picturesque at peak foliage time (I visited in early December), but there were several issues that prevented me from enjoying this hike fully:

- Unbelievably crowded on weekends. This is not exactly a good place to "get away from it all" with a peaceful wilderness experience. Also, a lot of people did not display common trail etiquette, unlike at other parks in the region.
- Very noisy between the crowds, the noise from cars on adjacent roads, freight rail lines, and even the foghorns from ships in the Hudson River.
- Admission/parking fee is kind of ridiculous, especially considering the plentiful selection of better (and free) hikes in the area (Harriman, Breakneck Ridge, etc.)
- I personally dislike zoos, so the zoo did nothing for me

All in all, I am glad I visited, but would not return. The bridge and buildings on the park grounds are pretty cool, but not enough to draw me back. There is much better hiking at other parks in the Hudson Valley, though I could see Bear Mountain being a good choice for families.

Fantastic hike with great views. Needs some better markings, lost the trail a couple of times. Be prepared for some steep climbing on the way up. Wear hiking shoes if it rained recently.

I loved this trail but it's not to be underestimated! It is not easy. Took the AT up. All...those....stairs! And the mile long rock scramble down the Major Welch trail was awesome and fun but sketchy at times. So many people coming up, huffing and puffing and asking "are we almost there?". We seemed to be the only ones going down the scramble. But I'm happy we did the loop the way we did. Views everywhere! Ass kicking has been served. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The only con would be the crowds at the top. Idiots blasting music and dropping their garbage. I prefer a less mobbed hike or one with people who have more respect for nature.