Baxter Mountain

Baxter Mountain is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Perfect for first timers! Spectacular views.

Trail was easy to follow and well marked. Gradual incline to the summit. The views were amazing!

Nice clean trail and great for an afternoon hike! When you get to the Summit the blue trail markers end. A yellow trail begins here. You should follow them over "Bump 1" and "Bump 2" for expanded views, if not you're selling yourself short. When you see the trail start to descend quickly, turn around.

Nice quick moderate hike with great view !

Hiked this trail today with my DH! Have seen beautiful photos of this trail in the Fall and wanted to hike this for a beginning taste of the season. It was a breezy and quiet afternoon on the trail with a great amount of shade. If you want a shorter hike but a good exercise, this is a trail for that! The "false summits" make the hike worth it with the views as they give one a taste for what's to come. This would be a nice hike when the leaves are at their peak. :-)

Great day hike if you got a late start. Trails are well defined and marked on the blue blaze trail and parking is good on the Keene Valley Route 9N entrance. Great views, but no 360° clearing. Very well shaded and dog friendly.

Fun trail. Not too difficult. Great views from the top.

Short, easy. OK for little kids

Short and sweet with a little scrambling at the top. Great view of some high peaks.

Nice short hike with great views at the top. Will definitely do again.

Good short hike. Took 1:15 round trip not to strenuous compared to other local hikes. Nice views from top.

Beautiful summit, continue past the false summit and go to the very top! Very beautiful further up!

Mothers Day Hike with my wife and our 3 kids (9,8 and 4). Everyone enjoyed the hike. We also stayed right off the trail. Views from peak were tough with fog and rain but awesome day to be in the woods. Took less than 2 hours with 4 year old in tow.

This was a winter hike that I did and it was real pleasant. Nice views of the Great Range. The snow was hard and crunchy as we wore microspikes/hiking crampons. The trail became busy when we were heading down.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Nice easy kid friendly hike! Hiked carrying my 3.5 yr old son on my back with no problem! The views were spectacular!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Wonderful perfect for kids. It was peak and just beautiful. Short hike great view

Monday, September 19, 2016

Nice short hike with great views within, not above, the mountains. Very nice summit. Met some nice folks on top.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

This trail was short and moderate in climb. The View was amazing and i would recommend to anyone for a great hike with little work. I do want to mention the trailhead is not correct in All Trails. It is on 9N but before you enter Keene not in the village of Keene like it shows on the map.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Great views!! Easy for anyone who was a short hike

Thursday, May 19, 2016

I have hiked this trail on numerous occasions and find myself always wanting to come back. I recommend this trail to anyone who is looking for a mountain with fantastic Adirondack views, but either wants or needs something that is on the easier side. The last time I hiked here, it was a warmer day, in the 80's but even with the warm weather, and some of our crew having health issues, we did not struggle at all and truly enjoyed our day. Highly recommended!