Basin Mountain Saddleback Mountain Loop via Phelps Trail

Basin Mountain Saddleback Mountain Loop via Phelps Trail is a 14.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Hiked with the intent of adding Haystack- was not in the cards as a wind and rain weather system moved in as I was descending Basin. Saddleback Cliffs weren't as difficult as I had anticipated. Most of the issue (especially descending) was the vertigo you get from the view while looking down the entire time. If you are not used to or comfortable with this type of scrambling while having that exposure (and it should be said that it does add a mental hurdle to get over)- this may be an issue. Once you get used to it-it was very manageable. There are a few slabs on other 46ers I find to be a bit more difficult physically but 'felt' easier/more comfortable with because I was surrounded by trees. This all being said, the cliffs may get most of the attention on this hike from hikers but it should be noted that Basin is no slouch either. I would not recommend this hike during or just after heavy rain.

On my return to John's Brook Lodge and the Garden parking area I saw a Bear about 50 ft. on the right side of the trail foraging. I stopped to watch him lumber around the ground debris. He had gotten about 35 ft. from me before he had seen me and I made noise spooking him away. Very cool.

Just finished this trail over a 2 day trip. Hiked in about 3.6 miles and camped near Johns Brook Lodge. Then did the 8 mile loop, packed the tents and hiked out. The trail was very easy to follow and views at the top of both mountains were amazing. I ended up doing the loop the other direction than the one described here, so you summit the taller mountain second. It was very steep going down Saddleback mountain so there were a lot of fun rock scrambling opportunities. The trail was quite muddy so gaiters would be recommended. Overall definitely a great hike and a great physical challenge.

Saw bear tracks, wet on the rocks along Slant Rock trail. Beautiful views.

Great Hike. Recommend getting there early, limited parking near trailhead. We did Basin 1st then Saddleback. Going up Saddleback was a little dicey since you have to climb rock face, we were glad that we didn't have to climb down Saddleback!!