Balsam Lake Mountain Trail

Balsam Lake Mountain Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Livingston Manor, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Hardenburgh, NY: Travel Route 54 to Turnwood and continue east about 4 miles to the end of Beaver Kill Road. The road's pavement changes to gravel/dirt mix. Park at the DEC parking area and begin on the blue-blazed Dry Brook Ridge Trail to the junction with the red-blazed Balsam Lake Mt. Trail.

Great hike. A must visit!!

Great trail
Fire tower was the goal and the view from there is fantastic
I would do this again for sure
The most difficult part was getting there the GPS sent us in a very indirect way and then just stopped navigating about a mile down Dry Bridge Rd

did this hike in february, great views all the way up, beautiful. it would have been nice to have snowshoes, but wasn't necessary. beautiful views from fire tower.

I decided on doing this hike the day after Thanksgiving because I wanted to start getting some more experience with winter hiking or at least hiking in winter conditions. The Catskills seemed like a better place to do that than the Adirondacks. Well I finally got to use my snowshoes that I got over a year ago so that was nice. Balsam Lake Mountain was probably the perfect trek for just that. At the start of the hike I was able to walk in the prints that were already left but then the snow drifts got deep in some parts so I was glad I was well equipped. I probably could have done without the snowshoes but there was enough snow that it was good for a first time, I think. Plus it wasn't too steep at any point. The top of the fire tower was locked off but there were still some great views from just below it. I chose to do the loop but might have opted not to if I realized that part of it is more uphill. All in all I had a great time with BLM. Only bad news is that I lost the basket off one of my trekking poles in the snow. If anybody can keep an eye out between where the loop starts and the fire tower (when there's less snow) I'd appreciate it. Not worried about getting it back but I don't like leaving things behind. Thank you!

Did the hike this past weekend with my 10 year old son. The start of the hike is long and gradual, pretty easy. At the top there is a series of steeper switch backs, but not too tough. There is no view at the top but great views from the FireTower. We did not do the loop on the way down. Fun hike, with lunch took total of 3 hours.

Beautiful mountain views in every direction from the tower. The trail up was a gradual increase until the split. it was easy on the feet too.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Monday, April 25, 2016

Did this hike from beaverkill road, such an awesome hike! Really easy slope for the first mile and then gets a lot steeper for the end of the hike. Beautiful views from the fire tower!