Balm of Gilead Trail

Balm of Gilead Trail is a 2 mile out and back trail located near North River, New York that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This wooded hike was rewarding in the end with a solemn and serene view! Took my DH and I about 50 minutes to ascend and about the same to descend. The main picture for this trail was not the view we experienced but maybe that would be seen taking the other trail (took Old Farm Rd.). Since this is a wooded hike, it would be more enjoyable to revisit this in the Summer for the moving and less slippery creek flows or the Fall for the picturesque foliage! If you plan to do this hike anytime soon/this Winter, wear microspikes or waterproof boots with good tread - dried leaves can be deceiving! ;-)

I don't know why this hike is considered difficult. We've hiked in many times including snow shoe trips in winter. Recently hiked with young parents carrying a year old daughter without any effort. Wonderful views of 13th Lake. A senior citizen hiker.

Hiked this trail on March 23rd. Used snowshoes. We took a side trail to the Hooper mine to make it a loop. Beautiful views from the top. Great place for a picnic in the summer.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Hiked this trail since I was little, I love it and continue to hike it every year!!

Monday, November 14, 2011

Hiked this trail in November with my two boys ages 5 and 3 along with 4 friends all with kids. It provides challenging terrain for the little ones and I can see why it wound be better for snowshoeing. I would not hike this trail again. Too short for adults and too rugged for little hikers. The view is nice and it is a very short climb.