Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Balm of Gilead Trail is a 2 mile out and back trail located near North River, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 528 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great, quick trail with incredible payoff! Yes... finding the trailhead was tricky, but see detailed instructions below.

Difficult to find the trail, but the view is amazing. The pictures do not do it justice.

Mon Sep 03 2018

Like others said, confusing to get to, but worth the trip! We took our 2 dogs and it was a good hike for all of us. Short hike up hill for a rewarding view. Easiest way to get to it is from Garnet Hill Lodge, go towards the back down to the Ski Shop, up the hill across from that to W Blake Pond trail until you see a sign for Balm of Gilead.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Hiked from garnet lodge, will admit was confusing to get to the trail. Hike short and sweet and was surprised by the awesome views for such a short hike. Can easily be done by kids and beginners.

Fri Jun 01 2018

Hiked this yesterday morning from the Garnet Hill Lodge Ski Shack. Nice easy trail through the GHL property to State Land. Trail up the hill was pretty tame and in great shape. There was no blow down and only a few muddy spots. The view from the top was spectacular. We stopped at GHL for lunch, what a treat. This would be a great family hike.

Sun Dec 10 2017

This wooded hike was rewarding in the end with a solemn and serene view! Took my DH and I about 50 minutes to ascend and about the same to descend. The main picture for this trail was not the view we experienced but maybe that would be seen taking the other trail (took Old Farm Rd.). Since this is a wooded hike, it would be more enjoyable to revisit this in the Summer for the moving and less slippery creek flows or the Fall for the picturesque foliage! If you plan to do this hike anytime soon/this Winter, wear microspikes or waterproof boots with good tread - dried leaves can be deceiving! ;-)

Sun Sep 03 2017

I don't know why this hike is considered difficult. We've hiked in many times including snow shoe trips in winter. Recently hiked with young parents carrying a year old daughter without any effort. Wonderful views of 13th Lake. A senior citizen hiker.

Wed Mar 29 2017

Hiked this trail on March 23rd. Used snowshoes. We took a side trail to the Hooper mine to make it a loop. Beautiful views from the top. Great place for a picnic in the summer.

Tue Apr 19 2016

Hiked this trail since I was little, I love it and continue to hike it every year!!

Mon Nov 14 2011

Hiked this trail in November with my two boys ages 5 and 3 along with 4 friends all with kids. It provides challenging terrain for the little ones and I can see why it wound be better for snowshoeing. I would not hike this trail again. Too short for adults and too rugged for little hikers. The view is nice and it is a very short climb.

recorded Balm of Gilead Trail