Bald Peak

Bald Peak is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Elizabethtown, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked this with a group of friends and my Pitbull Jake. The black flies were out but we didn’t let them stop us. It was also very humid which made it challenging for me as I struggle in heat and humidity. Despite this I loved this hike! The wild Orchids and Violets on the trail to Blueberry Cobbles were beautiful and distracted from the 1437 vertical ascent. The views from Mason and the ridges leading to Bald are gorgeous. I found the trail easy to follow. With all of the ups and downs you will complete a vertical ascent close to 2600 ft. There are a few High Peaks that have less than a 2600 vertical ascent. My dog loved the hike too. Was glad I carried extra water for him and me. Enjoy!

Started from the trailhead parking off hwy 9, went up to Blueberry Cobbles, snapped photos from various outlooks (great views!), then Mason mountain - again, great opportunities to see the path ahead and the peaks. Got to the summit and wandered around taking pictures. Last climb might be challenging for newbies but, generally, this is a fairly short and not so difficult hike with a plenty of spots to admire the views.

was tough and long but the many summits and views are worth it! lots of trail markers so the path was easy to stay on!

Thursday, May 07, 2015