Bald Mountain (Rondaxe Fire Tower)

Bald Mountain (Rondaxe Fire Tower) is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Old Forge, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The total distance to hike to the summit of Bald Mountain is just under a mile and the ascent is about 500 feet to reach the 2350 foot summit. The start of the hike is a deceptively easy walk in the woods, but fairly soon you come to the steepest section where you climb a widely eroded trail up onto the top of the descending ridge. Soon after you begin to top out you come to the first of several intermediate view points. After that the trail follows the spine of the ridge with a few minor ups and downs. This ridge top trail is over bed rock much of the way, and portions of that bed rock are relatively pointed little ridgettes with less that a foot wide path on the top. For those who find this psychologically uncomfortable, there are herd paths down in the woods by which you can skirt the most challenging sections. The Rondaxe Fire Tower, located on the summit, has been restored so that you can climb up for the best views. The summit area is open, quite long and can easily accommodate a large number of hikers. Don't expect to be alone during this nearly two mile round trip hike, as it is a very popular hike. There are fantastic views from the fire tower, but also from the many view points along the trail. You don't need to climb the fire tower to enjoy the views.

Hiked Bald Mountain this morning. We were in the middle of a snow storm (4-6in.) so i had the mountain to myself. Took me about 2 hours up and back and the top of the mountain was very windy. Over all a great trip, even in the winter. For my full review visit explorecnytrails.com/bald-mountain-rondaxe-fire-tower-old-forge-ny/

Wonderful hike in fresh snow, the best views today! Somewhere between easy and moderate I would say.

Beautiful hike through the snow along the ridge. Took us 1.5hrs round trip, including photo ops.

Beautiful, quick 4th of July hike. Heavily trafficked but very easily manageable for anyone in moderately fit shape. If you're looking for something challenging this isn't it, but it's certainly beautiful.

Quick hike which is great for these short fall days
It's a nice slow steady climb but some of the terrain is a bit more difficult than I expected. There was a little ice and mud on the trail but proper foot ware makes that a non event.
I will say it was worth the 2.5 hour ride from Albany and the view was fantastic.

Very slippery. I had a great time. The wife was a little worried about slipping.

Gorgeous views!

Amazing view!!!! My only complaint is how crowded the hike was... we did it today (a Wednesday during off season) and it was packed, I can't imagine how popular it is during the busy season. I would rank as easy-moderate. Some parts are scary due to tight paths with big drops, but it seemed like it would be easy to bypass this if necessary.

great family hike

Did not find this trail as easy. It will be an easy trail for most people in decent shape, their is a fair amount of up hill hiking over rocks. I could not make it the entire way with my special needs son. We passed another couple who had a fear of heights that turned back before climbing the rocks.