Bald Mountain Loop is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bear Mountain, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and camping. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length7.1 miElevation gain1797 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashCampingHikingrunningForestViewsWildlifeHistoric siteFee
Description
Waypoints (0)

There is a fee of $10 per vehicle. Fees are collected on weekdays between 6/22-9/2. For the rest of the year, fees are only collected on the weekend. Empire Passholders can get in for free.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (247)
Photos (2069)
Recordings (222)
Completed (421)
Nathan Patrick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 12, 2021
Nature trips
View Nathan's Recording
Jason Krobatsch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 2, 2021
Hiking

Mostly blue and then white back. Nice views, but pretty steep and rocky.

View Jason's Recording
Pam Nanartowich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 2, 2021
View Pam's Recording
Molly McDonald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 27, 2020
Hiking

Really fun hike to peak bag all three of these mountains! Very busy parking lot but you don’t actually have to pay for it.

View Molly's Recording
Joseph Landy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 14, 2020

Excellent day hike. Trail was 8.0

View Joseph's Recording
Ashwin Zachariah
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 12, 2020
HikingMuddyWashed out

This is actually a 9mile loop. Nice workout involving occasional rocky terrain, stream crossings, gravel paths. Certain sections were wet and muddy. Did the loop counterclockwise, definitely easier since you're done with the tougher section in the first few hours of the hike. No parking fee at 9W parking lot

View Ashwin's Recording
Maimouna Abiola
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 8, 2020
HikingBridge outFloodedIcyMuddyOff trailRockyScramble

I did this after 8hrs shift. I arrived to the parking lot around 5am, turned off the engine and closed my eyes (i was so sleepy) but the cold woke me up around 5:30. So, i turned on the engine and put my heat on. Around 6:30am, a van came in and the driver went into the woods. It was still dark out there, so I continue with my resting, double check that my car lock is on and set my alarm for 7am. A text message woke me up at 653a and it’s lightning up outside. I started my hike at 7am, the beginning of the loop is on the left side when coming into the parking lot. I took the red marking 1777 West trail which collide with Anthony Wayne trail (AWT) south and north (white marking). I did the loop counterclockwise as per reviews and it was helpful. I came across the marking white with letter F in red but continue with the white. Then I bisect blue marking which in turn collide with yellow but I continue with the blue. Not long after I came across again 1777W trail but continue with blue which took me to Bald Mountain (BM) peak. After the directions post at the bottom of BM, I followed the blue marking, crossed the waterfall bridge (the path for crossing was a bit confusing); after a while, I followed the red 1777 East trail which continue to the left turn but I followed the straight path (unmarked trail) at the direction of the “historical sites” and it led me to yellow marking of Doodletown trail. I was on the yellow when I came across red 1777 West trail left and right; I went after the right side which was muddy, watering, no bridge with icing water entering my shoes and intersect with AWT (white) north and south post; I continue with red 1777 West to the parking lot which is now full of cars. About 2 hours in the hike, I was emotionally and physically exhausted but giving up and stopping to take a long rest were out of the questions. It was freezing and breezy. So, I decided to continue and take max 2 min of pauses for pictures, water and slow breathings. By doing the hike counterclockwise, the challenging parts were in the first 3hrs, some moderate ones and the easiest was after the waterfall bridge. Another great workout!!!

View Maimouna's Recording
Liz Zhang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 7, 2020
Hiking

The hike and views are good, took me less than 4 hours. But the marks are just okay. At one intersection the arrow was pointing to the wrong direction leading me into a cemetery, looks deserted, suspicious and spooky, which prompted me to check my phone and learned I was deep in the wrong direction. Had my phone died it would be dangerous. Please make sure your phone is fully charged, download the map ahead of time as most of the time there’s no reception

Kou Yagi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 2, 2020
View Kou's Recording
Pat Paluch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 28, 2020
View Pat's Recording
raul Rodriguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 28, 2020
View raul's Recording
Julie Romano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 20, 2020
View Julie's Recording
Bjoern Hinrichsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 19, 2020
Hiking

This is a great trail. Fairly challenging in terms of both, distance and terrain. Speaking of the former, it came in at 8.2 miles, quite a bit longer than advertised. Also, the advertised time of just over 4 hours is very optimistic. I would plan on 5.5 hours, including stoppages. Although the trail is well marked, you will need a GPS signal and a map (such as the one on this app), otherwise it is impossible to know which marking to follow. Finally, I recommend to do the trail counterclockwise. This way, you'll hike up the highest peak first and leave the easier return section for later.

View Bjoern's Recording
J. Li
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 14, 2020
View J.'s Recording
Yun Park
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 11, 2020
Elizabeth Starling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 7, 2020
Hiking

As others have noted the trail is not well marked in places so best to have a device to place yourself on the map. Also, it is longer than 7.1, more like 8.5 and the vertical was 1900. Numerous great viewing points, plus a great workout. I highly recommend.

View Elizabeth's Recording
sandra horton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 3, 2020
View sandra's Recording
Eric Moran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 24, 2020
View Eric's Recording
cristine s
View cristine's Recording
Joshua Brandenburg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 22, 2020
Hiking

Fantastic but actually 8.2 miles.

View Joshua's Recording
John McTiernan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 11, 2020
Hiking

has others said challenging and at points not well marked. I found this app very helpful to keep us on the path. parking, the parking lot is very small but parking on the road is allowed. overall very nice

View John's Recording
John Pfenning
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020
View John's Recording
Sterling Espaillat
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
View Sterling's Recording