Baker Mountain

Baker Mountain is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Saranac Lake, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Starting from the north end of Moody Pond you will start climbing almost immediately. The trail is a bit steep but offers great views as you ascend further. At 0.6 miles from the trailhead, an intersection offers part of an upper mountain loop. Left is a less aggressive climb and avoids the steep ledges that can be found if you head right. Both finish at the summit of Baker. The loop makes for a great hike option. The summit of Baker offers great views over the Village of Saranac Lake, the McKenzie Mountain Wilderness Area and toward the High Peaks Region. Be sure you are on the marked trail when you leave.

Went out and back on 1/10/19, didn’t do the loop. Snowshoed to pack down the trail after a lot of snowfall. We saw several people out in just spikes and they did fine

Ohhhh Baker Mt. - Super nice neighborhood locale. Trailhead across from a popular ice fishing pond. A lot of nice people walking pups. And then -the trail. It says go left and make it a loop. Don’t. No trail markers at all when it splits left. We used the shit out of this app to try and find the trail in 2” Of snow. It was a fun adventure scramble up, but icy as F and that wouldn’t be fun if you weren’t prepared. Stay to the right in the winter. Great view at the summit and nicely marked trail on the way down (to the right - which is the left going down). No kidding. Wait until summer. Probably a great trail. Winter. Oooof.

Great hike, did it early morning great views from the top and short trek. Much steeper than I expected but well worth the work for the views. Bring spikes if there is any snow on the ground. Lots of ice on the rocks

We hiked the trail 12/16. Took the right trail up which was marked well in most spots. Definitely packed snow and a lot of ice. Wore microspikes and had no problem. We looped down the other side which was not marked but clearly walked on so had no problem following it.

12/8 : Snow was packed down pretty good. Wore crampons the entire time and had no issues. Awesome views when you summit

Super Trail très belle vue monter abrupte qui offre plusieurs petits défi pour débutants mais se fait bien

This was my first ADK hike. We brought our 15 year old dog, who found it pretty fun and easy. It can definitely get a bit steep at parts, but nothing too difficult at all. There are two nice lookouts at the summit. I would recommend this for beginners. We took the left trail up, but had a hard time staying on trail with all the leaves hiding the path. Pretty short hike but definitely rewarding.

Nice short loop with going up is steep sometimes, going down is easy.

Beginner hiker. Was a challenging but doable climb. We walked from Hotel Saranac to the trailhead, ascended the unmarked trail (left) and descended on the marked (right), and back to the hotel topping out around 4 miles. Including about 30 mins at the summit finished the mountain itself it about 2.5 hours. Nice views from the top but a little blocked by trees at summit - still a rewarding view. Encouraged me to try for Saranac 6ers!

Great hike shorter hike.

Beautiful hike that is a short but decent workout. Took us as about 1 1/2 hours but we stayed at the top and watched the sun set which was incredible and I highly recommend! Of course we needed head lamps by the time we got near the bottom of the trail. Highly recommend in fall!

I agree with earlier assessments of the trail being easy. It definitely is suitable for most everyone. The only exception is a 20-30 yard section of bare rock that I found challenging. Not that it was physically challenging so much as it was emotionally challenging. We hiked Baker this past Saturday and reached that area of rock just as it was beginning to lightly rain. There was some scrambling needed and I will admit I was afraid of sliding from the pine needles and wet dirt clinging to the rocks and slide myself right over the edge lol. There is a modest risk of serious injury if you’re not careful.

If you’re thinking I’m being too generous about the trail being easy, let me also add that we saw at least 100 people on trail. I’m thinking closer to 150. Kids, seniors, dogs. All at varying levels of fitness. We took our time so I could take photos and managed the loop in 1h45m total time.

For those who think the trail isn’t a loop it’s because you didn’t go left soon enough. It’s near the start. We missed the turn too, but it didn’t matter as the trail was very easy. Also, going down the other side of the loop from the summit is not easy to figure out either because it isn’t marked. I think we started off right but turned back because we weren’t sure.

Great hike with great views from many ledges.

It was amazing!!

Definitely not an easy trail, more like moderate. Lots of rocks, roots and pretty steep. Seems like longer than 1.9 miles. Beautiful views right before summit!

this should be rated a moderate hike, not an easy one. It is a relatively steep uphill all the way, more so towards the top. But the terrain is beautiful and the views very nice. Most important thing to note is that the map shows it as a circular Trail. It is not. You go up to the Vista and back. There may be a circular trail but it isn't marked, so is the safer to Simply go back down the way you came up.

Great for a quick, less-than-half-day hike. The 'Easy' rating is most likely due to how short it is - the immediate and generally consistent steepness of the trail makes it a bit tough in the moment, but it really is over quite quickly. Excellent views of Saranac Lake and surrounding mountains, so it's great for just sitting at the top for a while if you're not in a hurry.

Nice views but a little bit blocked by the trees. I wouldn’t rate this as easy, more like moderate as it’s mostly up hill. Nice quiet summit. Well marked trail.

Great work out if pressed for time

Solid view

Nice short hike. A little buggy but with bug spray it was no problem. Steeper at times than you would think for a “Easy”. But worth it- pretty views of the mountains, Saranac Lake and the town.

Did this last year with my 4 year old son - definitely more moderate because of rock scrambling, although short - we needed more bug spray as the way down follows a stream!

Last of the Saranac 6 complete! Saved it for last because we figured it would be easiest. After doing 3 others over the past day the hike was a little more than I expected. The trail on the right as you go up is pretty steep. Some nice views at the top - ran down the other trail on the way back down to see it was much more gradual.

Nice hike but a bit crowded on a Saturday! Views were nice in 2 directions.

Moderate is a better description of this hike. Fine views but pretty grown in. Already starting to get crowded by 9. 1 of 6!

This hike is definitely not easy. It is moderate for sure.

BUG SPRAY IS A MUST. OVER 30 BITES BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE

We took the right fork and the trail was steep. The view at the top was nice for short hike. There were cool wild life like frogs, quails and unfortunately mosquitoes.

Amazing view at the top. The steep side is just that...steep. Our family hiked this with our dogs. Beautiful sights...lots of wildlife. Saw lots of frogs, amazing rock formations and some deer. If not up for a challenge, take the left trail up.

My first mountain, think I’m hooked. Great hike, no bugs today, incredibly views towards saranac/flower lakes. Easy bike ride from town to trailhead, had a great hike.