Baker Mountain

Baker Mountain is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Saranac Lake, New York that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Mount Baker can be done with the whole family and rewards you with a spectacular view. Starting from the north end of Moody Pond you will start climbing almost immediately. The trail is a bit steep but offers great views as you ascend further. At 0.6 miles from the trailhead, an intersection offers part of an upper mountain loop. Left is a less aggressive climb and avoids the steep ledges that can be found if you head right. Both finish at the summit of Baker. The loop makes for a great hike option. The summit of Baker offers great views over the Village of Saranac Lake, the McKenzie Mountain Wilderness Area and toward the High Peaks Region. Be sure you are on the marked trail when you leave.

Nice little hike. Microspikes were handy toward the top. Great views!

excellent for my 5yr old

I would rate this as moderate compared to other trails I have been on. Nice short early morning hike

Very nice trail. Challenging if not used to terrain. Wish we had brought a picnic with us.

Wow! So many erratics! Gneiss!

Easy hike, nice area, nothing to write home about but always nice to be outdoors.

Certainly not easy for otherwise fit 65 year olds. The description should include a mention of the rock sections. It is convenient to get to and nice view at the top

I was able to complete the Saranac Lake 6er challenge in 3 days. Two mountains per day. Baker Mtn being my 4th climb on day 2 with Scarface being number 3. A pleasant and moderate climb right from the trail head. A nice climb to have right in your backyard and within the city limits. Nice views of the village and McKenzie Mtn Wilderness Area. At a moderate pace I was able to reach the summit in 45 minutes the same being said for the trip down.

I'm doing the Saranac 6 Challenge and this is the shortest mountain mileage wise on the list. I did it the same day as Haystack and used it as a warm up. There is not really a view at the top but there is one portion on the way up where you can see Saranac Lake. I will admit that I wandered around the summit for five minutes before I realized I had finished the climb. The whole thing took me less than two hours round trip.