Baker Mountain

Baker Mountain is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Saranac Lake, New York that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Mount Baker can be done with the whole family and rewards you with a spectacular view. Starting from the north end of Moody Pond you will start climbing almost immediately. The trail is a bit steep but offers great views as you ascend further. At 0.6 miles from the trailhead, an intersection offers part of an upper mountain loop. Left is a less aggressive climb and avoids the steep ledges that can be found if you head right. Both finish at the summit of Baker. The loop makes for a great hike option. The summit of Baker offers great views over the Village of Saranac Lake, the McKenzie Mountain Wilderness Area and toward the High Peaks Region. Be sure you are on the marked trail when you leave.

Wow! So many erratics! Gneiss!

Easy hike, nice area, nothing to write home about but always nice to be outdoors.

Certainly not easy for otherwise fit 65 year olds. The description should include a mention of the rock sections. It is convenient to get to and nice view at the top

I was able to complete the Saranac Lake 6er challenge in 3 days. Two mountains per day. Baker Mtn being my 4th climb on day 2 with Scarface being number 3. A pleasant and moderate climb right from the trail head. A nice climb to have right in your backyard and within the city limits. Nice views of the village and McKenzie Mtn Wilderness Area. At a moderate pace I was able to reach the summit in 45 minutes the same being said for the trip down.

I'm doing the Saranac 6 Challenge and this is the shortest mountain mileage wise on the list. I did it the same day as Haystack and used it as a warm up. There is not really a view at the top but there is one portion on the way up where you can see Saranac Lake. I will admit that I wandered around the summit for five minutes before I realized I had finished the climb. The whole thing took me less than two hours round trip.

My 1st hike with my husband and we enjoyed it esp the summit.

Great little mountain. Took my boyfriend and I plus our 30 lb dog about 30 minutes to climb up. Probably took the same amount of time to get down because of roots and footings.

There is a false summit that is prettier than the real summit. Nice views of Saranac!

We ran into an entire middle school on our way down, which provided a lot of entertainment. :)

This was a very enjoyable hike with gorgeous views of Saranac Lake. It was fairly easy with well maintained trails. I wouldn't call any of it exceptionally steep, but it does have a moderate incline the entirety of the hike with very few flat sections. I saw a small garter snake near the top. There are plenty of viewpoints to enjoy, and a disk in a rock indicates that you've reached the summit. I brought my small dog and she enjoyed it as well. There were dozens of other hikers that day ranging from children under 10 to adults over 60, and it was interesting to hear their experiences. I would recommend this hike to anyone and think it is quite accessible to beginning hikers who want tackle a mountain.

This is a good hike, but would not rate it as easy or for all skill levels. Definitely good for seasoned hikers and active families with young children, not great for older folks new to hiking.

Pretty easy hike, it is steeper in some spots, but not bad at all. Took about 35 minutes to the top, not the best views due to trees. When you get up to the top, there is a small path to an overlook where you can get an unobstructed view! The second part of the loop was not marked at all. Utilized this program to take the full loop, the one not marked is less steep than the one they have marked.