Baker Mountain

Baker Mountain is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Saranac Lake, New York that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Mount Baker can be done with the whole family and rewards you with a spectacular view. Starting from the north end of Moody Pond you will start climbing almost immediately. The trail is a bit steep but offers great views as you ascend further. At 0.6 miles from the trailhead, an intersection offers part of an upper mountain loop. Left is a less aggressive climb and avoids the steep ledges that can be found if you head right. Both finish at the summit of Baker. The loop makes for a great hike option. The summit of Baker offers great views over the Village of Saranac Lake, the McKenzie Mountain Wilderness Area and toward the High Peaks Region. Be sure you are on the marked trail when you leave.

Amazing views of you go off trail a bit and out on rocks. Definitely good views prior to reaching the summit

Quicker hike, I'm moderately in shape and this was easy. The summit doesn't afford as good a view as the ledges you can find slightly below on the way up the shorter trail. We ate lunch on one of these overlooking the valley towards Lake Placid. The "unmarked" long trail down is definitely worth it. It was muddy, but enough rocks to bound down to avoid the mud.

Hiked with 4 yr old son and small big-hearted & gutsy dog and we had a blast!

We took the left arm of the fork ( you'll see what I mean ) and proceeded to the summit on a basically unmarked trail especially as we gained elevation, following a dried out "stream-bed" some foot prints and our common sense.

Almost at the summit there is an absolutely stunning rock face to sit on and enjoy the view 180* We climbed on a warm spring day in glorious sunshine. It was spectacular.

But this was not the summit. You continue another 10 minutes or so and then you get to the "real" summit. Again the views are astonishing. The rocks are flat and wide interspersed with trees and it is a fab place to hang out and enjoy a picnic.

We descended using other trail marked with red ( which would have been the right fork at the start - where we went left ), to make a loop.

All in all a fab hike with varying terrain and some challenge but nothing scary. We are avid outdoors people but not crazy hard bodies who ice climb or hang 5000' from ropes off of cliffs. I was proud of my 4 yr old - he didn't whine once- he just kept saying what an awesome hike it was and he had fun sliding down the rocks as we descended.

Take the family, a friend or go solo - you'll have a great time!

I think it's easy to moderate, but I can see it could be quite hard for some people who are not used to navigating rocks, roots and incline.

The first hike of the year after my winter hibernation, as everyone has mentioned it is a little steep. Took us longer since I am not in the best of health, took me 40 min going up but well worth it. There is only one spot where you could enjoy the view and the rest of the space is great to just sit and relax.

Excellent short hike with very worthwhile views of the surrounding area! Although short, it is a lot of elevation gain in that short time, but not bad if you're in decent shape (I was 3 months post knee surgery and didn't have a problem.) We took the unmarked return to make it a loop, and it was easy to summer.

Pretty steep in spots and some remaining ice and lots of mud were a bit challenging for the "easy" grade IMO but a wonderful hike to be sure.

Excellent short hike. A bit steep on snowshoes the last third of the way but no trouble with it. We went after they received around three feet of snow just a couple days before and the trails were already moderately packed down for us so that certainly helped. The views at the top are worth every step.

skiing

Nordic skiing in the Saranac region.

Mt. Baker was a little more steep than I realized, but I should have known considering it gains a good amount of elevation in .9 miles. We started out fairly early. The trails were packed down nicely. We ran into a few people and all were just using microspikes. We did the loop and in all, with some time at the top, it took us 1:21. We did this in conjunction with Scarface, because we travel 2 hours to get to Saranac. I prefer being out of the car longer than I'm in it! This was part of the Winter 6er challenge. I look forward to hiking it again in the summer!

geocaching