Azure Mountain Firetower

Azure Mountain Firetower is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Waverly, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

skiing

historic site

Hiked Thanksgiving day. Saw one young lady and a hunter. Completely socked in as she called it and she was right. At 3:00pm there was not one view to be had. Left a few stones and crystals Ive been waiting to place up there for years and quickly made my exit. Will be back for views. Bring traction. Winter is here for sure.

This was my first mountain hiking and it was beautiful ! Steep but no to bad, it was all worth it!!!

Was a great hike . The view on top of mountain was Beautiful . I climbed my first Fire Tower here today !

great hike....harder than Arab, but very doable....we are far from experienced hikers....go and enjoy the view...especially in the fall

great ride.....

Beautiful! I would say this is the best bang for your buck among all of the fire tower trails we've done so far. It took us ~45 minutes to climb up. Trail is pretty steep but not difficult. It just keeps going up!
Not very wet and had great views from both the tower and the rock face summit. Would hike again!

Never found the trail. What a disappointment.

Relatively quick hike with a nice view. Unfortunately the fire tower was being painted and was closed today. It has been a wet summer, so the trail is pretty wet and muddy in quite a few places. Definitely recommend proper footwear!

Hard to find...I thought.. sign says Deer trail ... but eventually I found it. Nice hike, beautiful vista at the top! Moderately steep at points... wet sections as well! But a good day!

The trail is well maintained. It is suitable for families with small children. There are only about two spots that are tricky when wet. It took my son and I that are somewhat athletic less than two hours round trip with ample time to enjoy the view at the top. There was a volunteer present on the weekend at the summit that gave us a ticket/keepsake showing that we completed the climb. The fire tower was in good repair which provide an additional perspective.

Easier every time.

Amazing views!

This trail is very well maintained. There are only two or three spots that are slightly tricky when wet if you are towing a baby. If you go slow, it is completely doable. I did the entire mountain barefoot just for the heck of it.

Pretty easy. First hike of the season wearing my toddler and I didn't realize how much bigger he is now. Bugs were bad but that's to be expected this time of year. Amazing view at the top!

Good bang for your buck. Me and my three year old daughter did this in about an hour. Tower is nice and has great views. Not difficult at all.

Gorgeous 180 degree views from the peak. Stunning 360 degree view from the fire tower. An extremely great, yet challenging hike for being under 3,000 ft. Car to summit took 35 min for the out of shape me and my girlfriend.

Great hike and amazing views. Fire tower at the summit has incredible views also

Quick, steep hike. Nice vistas on top in the spring. Hiked in 2001, fire tower was closed at the time.

Monday, December 12, 2016

This trail is not hard at all, it's short and one of the easier firetower hikes. Great view; saw some Ravens soaring around the cliffs at the top. The trail is isolated though, no matter which direction you're coming from you'll have to drive several miles on a rough, unpaved road. Nothing crazy, it's doable with 2WD, you'll just have to drive slow.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

I completed this hike as a part of the Firetower Challenge. In mid-November, I found the trail in relatively good shape, muddy and slick in places, but not overly difficult. This ascent is labeled as difficult, however it is relatively easy compared to some in the Adirondacks-- a strenuous hike to the top none the less. The one-mile trail was relatively short, offering an amazing view of the ST. Regis Canoe Wilderness area from the top. Make sure to bring your rock to offer it up to the rock pile at the summit! Overall a great hike and worth the effort.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Was a cardio straight up hike. View at the top was worth it.