Ashokan High Point Trail

Ashokan High Point Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Shokan, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Was my second time backpacking. Got to the trailhead 530PM and made the summit around 830. Was pretty gruelling with a pack. Word of caution- the left side of the loop floods and some portions of it had actively flowing water. Wear proper footwear and trekking poles would be good too.

Overlooks would be better in fall after foliage drops but the hike itself is quite amazing visually.

Challenging hike with beautiful views. Our surroundings continued to change drastically so it was motivating to keep going and see what you would find next. Great variety of mushrooms, flowers, and tiny critters; I had never seen a neon orange lizard before. Once we finally reached the very top, we were in a misty cloud and that was pretty awesome.

A positive Sensory overload- highly recommend!

(Shoes with good traction and plenty of shock absorbing cushion are a must for the lengthy descend.)

Beautiful trail...

Let me start by saying, this hike is absolutely beautiful. I backpacked for a day, stayed overnight at the dedicated camp site at the top and left the next morning. The first part of this hike from the trailhead to the loop is straight and goes through pine forest and for the most runs along the Kanape Brook and is absolutely scenic and beautiful. We hiked the loop counterclockwise and for the most the ascent was not difficult but because our heavy backpacks was a little hard. I'm sure as a day hike, the hike to the top would be a piece of cake. The top has a nice view, not the best in the Catskills but very nice none the less. If you're looking for a spectacular view you'll be disappointed. Bring plenty of water because there's no water source after you hike away from the brook.

Here's why I absolutely loved this hike for backpacking. The dedicated campsites at the top are spacious and open so you can see the stars at night. The main site has a nice fire pit is very spacious and very comfortable. For some reason it was amazingly quiet at night and didn't hear any owls or animals scampering, just the wind blowing. We were lucky to have a clear sky and the stars were out in full effect! We made a nice fire which kept the bugs away and had an amazing time! If you're looking for a single day pleasant backpacking trip this is the hike for you! We had a very great time and would do it again!

This is the part of the hike we were totally disappointed. The second part of the loop continues through the campsite where you begin the descent and this is where I would do it differently. The remainder of the other side of the loop needs much needed maintenance. There is overgrown brush neck high or greater which sometimes you feel that you're bush-wacking. There are times when we also thought we weren't on the trail or lost because the brush is so overgrown. I was concerned of what I was touching. I had hiking pants thankfully but my arms, neck and face were rubbing against all sorts of brush and was concerned of getting ticks on me. This also added about an hour to the hike because the dense brush slowed us down. Another issue of the other side of the loop was a multitude of fallen trees. Simply put, the other side of the loop is in disarray and would greatly recommend not taking it and do this as an in and out hike. You will gave a much better time hiking back the way you hiked in.

I'm doing this hike again because its the perfect place to backpack and it's not a popular spot for day hikers. If you love solitude this is the hike for you We only bumped into five people on our way up and absolutely nobody on our way back to the trailhead. I'm giving this hike 4 stars because of the part of the loop which I would recommend you stay away from until it gets the attention it needs. Happy hiking!

Lots of the things I want to say about this trip. First, when you park, the trailhead is across the street. You’ll see a sign for it and it’ll lead you towards a bridge and then the registry. If you’re generally inclined to wear shorts on trails (I went in June), I’d highly suggest switching to pants and possibly even a light long sleeve shirt. There was a lot of low brush and moments of full-on walking through bushes. You also need PROPER HIKING SHOES. I would highly suggest not trying to conquer this in Nikes or, as I have recently discovered is popular these days on hikes, Adidas Stan Smith sneakers (just why?). Bring lots of water and a decent snack. It took me 4 hours to do this whole thing.

The hike is a long run, a loop up and around the mountain, and then the same long run back. The long run is pretty mild, somewhat rocky, wide, and with moderate inclines. It is not very exciting, if I’m perfectly honest, and I was anxious to get to the loop. But it would be okay for dogs and young-ish kids. This part took about an hour.

Side note: I am an idiot and decided to do this in the torrentially down pouring rain. Don’t do that. I saw a tree fall in the woods, saw freshly fallen branches all over the place, I fell many times, and after the rain subsided, mosquitos ate me alive. Anyway, back to the trail...

You’ll meet the loop at an intersection with a sign pointing to the left saying “trail.” Go left and get ready. There are a multitude of rocky hills that are very strenuous on the knees. I’m a pretty athletic person and I had to stop a few times to catch my breath. Each time I stopped, I quietly punished myself for all those times I went to happy hour after work instead of to the gym. (Remember at this point that you’re not even halfway finished.) Just when you think you’re done with the hills, there is another one. And another. And another. I cursed a lot. I said a lot of “Are you —- kidding me?!” Luckily, Mother Nature reprieved each hill with moments of flat land in between so you could get your strength back. During these times, you’ll see ferns or loosely packed forest. You’ll also notice the type of trees changing...they become much smaller for some reason. You’ll also wonder if there’s an elevator somewhere.

Eventually, you reach the top of the mountain and see a flat clearing. You can make out a mediocre-sized view through the trees to the valley below. It was a rainy morning and I had caught the clear sky just as the last bit of clouds were departing, so it was quite beautiful. But it wasn’t as breathtaking as many of the views Upstate hikes offer.

It took me a moment to find the blazes back to the trail in the leafy wilderness, but eventually I was back on, ready to loop back. It’s nice that the way back is pretty much all downhill. There were, however, many moments of thickly packed brush that sacrificed only a sliver of itself so hikers could walk through the trail. This wasn’t very pleasant. I was concerned what I was rubbing up against and it’s not the greatest feeling getting a leaf or two in your mouth. Or eye. (I am Asian and have the smallest eyes of any race on this planet... and a leaf managed to find my eyeball. How?) You keep going for what seems like forever. You realize the loop on the map is much smaller than in real life and you’re wondering what’s it take to find phone service so you can call a helicopter to come pick you up. Kidding aside, it’s an enjoyable hike and you do, eventually, at some point, reach a fork in the road where you’ll see a blaze nearby going right and one far off on the left. This is a weird, confusing moment because you’re tired and it seems like you should go left, according to the map, but you should actually head toward the closer blaze and make a right. This isn’t the end of the loop (remember that sign in the beginning that said “trail”? Wait for that).

When you reach “trail” sign and go right, you’ll double back on the way you came. You’re quite winded and pretty much ready for bed at this point. It’s the same stuff you saw on the way coming, which I generally don’t like, but at least you kind of know how much farther you have to go. I was so tired and hungry at this point. The end is a proud moment as you check off the registry, cross the bridge back, and head to the car.

Overall, it’s a nice hike and a great workout. I don’t know why this was rated Moderate — it’s not difficult but it is exhausting. Perhaps we need a new rating system? You won’t have to do anything that requires particular hiking skills but it is long, hilly, and you have to watch your footing closely. If you decide to go on this trail, enjoy yourself! Be safe! Pack lots of water and some food!

A totally beautiful walk from the trail head car park up through the woods and right alongside the rushing stream. A fairly gentle climb and even though we didn’t get to the top, it was one of the loveliest hikes we have done around here.

Hiked in September 2017 and barely saw another person. Beautiful forest and view along the creek. Our dog loved it too.

Beautiful hike through forest and over streams with abundant wild flowers, ferns, blueberry bushes, and brush. The trailhead is across the road from the parking lot. Bring more water than you think you need (it's a long traverse) and wear hiking boots. The trail is very rocky (an old riverbed?) and people in low hikers and sneakers regretted it. Be sure to take the loop. Gorgeous fall hike!

Monday, November 28, 2016

Hiked the trail this weekend with my three kids and a friend. We did the entire 8.6 mile loop and with lunch took 4.5 hours. The trail starts off long and gradual along a gully that crosses a few small streams. Once at the loop the trail climbs up and requires going up a few staircases that are pretty steep but short. The views from the top are decent but not expansive as there are trees that have grown to cover some of the scenery. We then decended by going down and around the top loop which meets back at the long trail down to the carpark. Very nice trail and some nice snow up top that was not at the bottom.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Absolutely awesome hike. The streams are majestic. If it's a scenic hike youre after this is awesome. But if you're also looking for a view you will be disappointed.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Great hike. Streams everywhere

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

I love to hike! But this one was alright, it was a long walk to get to the really steep part and that was hard! But really fun! The view was nice and all but I was expecting a bigger and better view tho.. Think they should cut some of the tress down for a better view at the top and it would be more worth the hike up there. But overall it definitely was fun. It's about a 3.5 hour hike

Friday, January 08, 2016

I enjoy this hike - have done it multiple times, taking 1 day to go up, camp, then 1 day to come back down. So, we're backpacking with full packs. Love the experience, but the final mile of the trail is pretty tough with packs - it's a pretty steep grade that feels like it will never end. And make sure that you take plenty of water, as you leave the creek behind you about half-way up, and there's no access to water after that.

There is a "less steep" alternative, but I've never done that part of the trail. It's longer, and I understand that there's a lot of ups-and-downs, so you do some climbing, only to go back down and have to climb back up again.

The campsites up top are fine - nice fire ring at the main one.

Little High Point is a great side trip.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

This is a great Trail lots of Good people
N camping is great !

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

i found this trail slightly on the difficult side due to the fact that it gets extremely steep. Give yourself 5 hours for this hike. when you get to the top, theres a hidden view ( during months where trees are empty I'm sure its easier to find). tough climbing at the end, but worth the view.

Monday, April 29, 2013

The first 2.7 miles is very gradual following the river. The trail turns left and ascends steeply for 1 mile to the peak. There are some views, and as you continue on the trail a few hundred yards there are better views of peaks in the Slide Mountain Wilderness, as well as a nice campsite. The best views however, are from Little High Point which can be reached via the herdpath leaving north of the summit. The trail is hard to follow at first but eventually becomes more evident as you continue. It will bring you into a saddle where there are limited views with a firepit and campsite. Continuing up the hill will bring you to an area where you will have a beautiful 180 degree view, from NE to SW. This 1/4 mile side-trip made the hike for me.

Thursday, July 07, 2011

The first half a very beautiful. The second half is boring. There is no view at the top.

Saturday, August 12, 2017