Your session expired, please sign in again to continue.

Artist's Rock, Sunset Rock, and Newman's Ledge via Mary's Glen Trail

Artist's Rock, Sunset Rock, and Newman's Ledge via Mary's Glen Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tannersville, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Haines Falls, NY: The trailhead is located within the North Lake Campground. The campground is located 3 miles east off SR 23A. Turn north onto O'Hara Road and travel 2.5 miles to the campground entrance.

Love this hike. It’s pretty short and not very difficult. Like others have stated, some of the rock scrambles are a little tough for the pups, for ours anyway. Overall I would rate this Trail as easy. Beautiful views at sunset rock!

The hike 6/2/18 was fairly dry and not very buggy with bug spray. We hiked the blue trail up to North Point and back down and followed the yellow out and back to Sunset Rock. Sunset Rock is a must on your way up to or down from North Point! North Point was a little cool and windy at the top, I’d recommend packing a long sleeve in your bag. Also, you can park at the trailhead in the campground for $10. I definitely recommend tagging Kaaterskill Falls onto your trip from Laurel House Rd.

As others have stated, getting to the trail was poorly marked and hard to find. No signs for trail starts anywhere from parking lots. However, once you find the trail it’s very well marked. Rock scrambles are difficult for dogs but do-able. Only a few steep parts and they’re on the rock scrambles. The views from Sunset Rock are absolutely beautiful.

A very nice spot great views
Fantastic way to spend a December day
The only drawback was having to walk thru the campground since it is closed for the season
Even got to see a deer

Campground was closed which made getting to the trail head a bit tricky as everything was poorly marked. Still a nice stroll around north/south lake. Once on the trail everything was very well marked and the views were beautiful and well earned. Some of the rock scrambling, especially if you divert up to north point, can be tricky, but not too difficult. Highly recommend to anyone looking for sweeping views of the Hudson Valley.

This was a beautiful trail and the views were amazing. Artist's Rock is breathtaking, and you reach it almost instantly. Took my 10 year old. The parking lots closer to the trail were closed, so we ended up having to walk from the western most tip of South Lake to the trail. That added a few more miles to our trip, so we were over 7 miles.
For us, the Blue trail was easy. It was relatively flat, and then you would reach steep, but doable areas to climb. It was beautiful, and we loved it.
North Point was a bit steep (300 ft in .3 miles), but the view is worth it.
We took the red trail (Mary's Glen Trail) back down. While it was stunning, it was hard for me (as I have problematic knees and ankles). It was very rocky almost all the way down. I should probably have taken blue back down, and will again next time I go.
Overall, it was a hike that should not be missed. I am not a very experienced hiker, and I have a good amount weight to lose, but it is doable, even with a 10 year old. Just take your time.

This trail was good, but definitely not the best. Great views, slightly tough with dog on a few steep climbs.

My girlfriend and I started on the blue trail from the North lake parking lot. Followed this trail to Artist rock, Sunset rock (blue trail to yellow trail for Sunset rock), Newman’s ledge and North point/North mountain ledge, then took Mary’s Glen (Red trail) back which brought us to North lake Rd about 3/4 of a mile north from the main parking lot. After that we walked just south of the parking lot to the Overlook mountain house site. Everything was about 6.6 miles and 4hrs at a conservative pace with time to enjoy each lookout. Trails were pretty easy with a decent amount of short inclines, and not annoying crowded for a Saturday between the hours of 9:30 - 1:30.

Great trail. Lots of beautiful views, fun rock scrambles and easy enough for the pups. Great pine forest trail also.

Beautiful views. Great hike. Different terrain and varying degrees of inclines.

Really good hike, with great views at both Artist and Sunset Rock. Unfortunately we didn't do the entire loop, so I can't comment on the back-half of the hike. This hike is inside the North-South Lake park, and it's $10 to park for the day. Probably nice to camp here and then do this hike one of the days you're there.

Came here mid-September, was a bit muddy and slippery, but really not bad. A bit buggy in the beginning, bring spray. Lots of families on the hike, good for kids. Recommended.

Absolutely incredible trail. I can't talk enough about it. Captivating views of the entire surrounding area from multiple vantage points. Climbing is extremely fun as well.

One of my favorite trails for families. Amazing views and easy enough for younger kids.

I really enjoyed this trial and glad my girl picked it out as the one we're doing that weekend (June 10th) because it was my first hike in a while. I give this 5 stars because it wasn't crowded, and I feel like it could be enjoyed by hikers at every level. It's rated as moderate but I would rate this trail as a high easy to low moderate. Some great views on the initially 2 miles up as well as some rock climbing and weaving in and out of the woods. Super cool! We headed up towards North Point and passed a few young kids like 4-5 year olds that were cruising along loving the outdoors. It was a beautiful day out and it had rained the past few days so we passed Katerskills on the drive up from NYC and the falls were flowing baby!! As we started out on our hike we saw this beautiful huge doe that was just walking along probably about 30-40 yards away from us.

Got to North Point which the last quarter mile was nice and up!! We ate some lunch, took in the views and chatted with the super friendly, detailed oriented, and informative Steward (I'm so sorry I forgot your name) that was just their to watch over us hikers and answer questions. The bugs this hike were pretty bad but they don't seem to bother me like some others but always have some repellent in your backpack.

I think my favorite part of the hike by far was the walk down Mary's Glenn back to the lake and the campgrounds where we parked. We were warned that it was muddy and a bit more challenging and it was so that's for the tips from the guys at batmans cave. It was wet and a bit muddy but for most of the trail we walked along water, through water, over water, rock hopped (so much fun). Saw a few small waterfalls and the constant sound of flowing water was beautiful and the woods were so serene. We did the 5 mile loop and all in all it was great!

Would definitely recommend this hike to anyone for sure!

This trail is supper easy as far as the actual hiking is concerned! Watch out for the trail signs tho, some are hard to see! There is an amazing view spot at the end of the trail that's perfect for a picnicking or setting up an easel and painting!

Awesome hike. A nice little break from the steeper Catskill 35's we've been doing. All the views are within the first two miles of the trail if you take the trail head by the lake. Views are amazing, trail is fairly easy but has some decent rock scrambles to keep someone who's fairly experienced entertained. It was a little muddy today in spots but it rained the night before, so that could be why. Took my girlfriend and I about 3 hours to do all of it. That was with several water breaks, and taking time to enjoy the views and explore around sunset rock a little bit.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Wife and I took a day hike out here, blue trail up and red trail back. The scenes were amazing. Will definitely be going up there again, next time camping and hiking.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

The drive from Manhattan was really nice as we had to drive past Kaaterskill Falls to the North Lake Campsite parking. We started with the blue trail to hike up to North Point. This trail is really well marked and I felt it made our hike easy-moderate (for me) with 2-3 big rocks we had to climb up. We did see a big group with children around the ages of 4-9 so it can't be that difficult. The blue trail will take you to a few great view points and ledges. Then we jumped to the yellow trail to hike up North Point, a quick straight incline to the top. The view at the 4 points and north point were well worth the hike. I would have enjoyed the view at North Point more if we had bug spray but we only stayed at the top for 15-20 mins due to the our lunch/bug situation. We took Mary's Glen Trail (red trail) down and it was my favorite part of the hike: it was serene with sounds of a running creek and several small waterfalls. We went right after it had rained that past night so the hike down was pretty muddy and wet; make sure to have good hiking boots if it had been raining.

Tip: Bring Bug Spray

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Absolutely amazing views! We did not make it to North Point but took the yellow trail to Mary's Glen at the badman's cave instead. The trail was pretty wet this week end but manageable and the waterfalls along the way made it all worth it. Some of the rock climbing was a little challenging for my 80 lbs dog but we just took our time and he did great. Dont forget to bring proof of rabies vaccination to enter the park. This was a very fun hike!

Monday, April 24, 2017

A little crowded but nice.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Nice way to spend a spring day. 2 challenging parts where we had to pick the dog up but it was easily done.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

One of my favorite hikes around here. Great views. Moderate hike with an excellent payout. Great in the autumn.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Good hike. Great views at the top. A couple steep rock faces that you may have trouble getting your dog up but I managed with an 80lb dog, had to work for it though.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Although it was covered in snow. It was worth the hike.

Monday, November 14, 2016

This trail was breathtaking. Just challenging enough to put your body to the test but nothing to strenuous. My 12 week old puppy was able to accomplish 3/4 of the loop before retiring to her bag. There are quite a few sheer rock cliffs you have to climb (the most challenging parts) so your pooch might need a lift during those. The views were astonishing and the lake was gorgeous. It was quiet without a lot of foot traffic which was great for someone like me who loves the peace and quiet of the woods. You'd pass someone every mile or so, so not bad. The trail is long and some of the overlooks are offshoots of the trail so you have to add that into your mileage. This has been one of my favorite hikes so far! Highly recommend!

Sunday, October 23, 2016

this area to hike is on nosh and south Lake, there is a fee of $10 to enter the park for this hike

Thursday, October 20, 2016

I hiked this with a friend the other day. At points challenging with rock scrambling. We left from the North Lake parking lot and headed towards Artist's Rock. North Point was gorgeous. As we were racing against the sunset we picked up the pace at a certain point and didn't side track to the Falls because a hiker on the trail mentioned that the falls were dry. We walked through the campsites and then along the lake to have a more scenic view than the road at the end. All in it was a little under 3 hours. You'll need more time if you're looking for a more leisurely pace.

Thursday, October 20, 2016