Artist's Rock, Sunset Rock, and Newman's Ledge via Mary's Glen Trail

Artist's Rock, Sunset Rock, and Newman's Ledge via Mary's Glen Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tannersville, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Haines Falls, NY: The trailhead is located within the North Lake Campground. The campground is located 3 miles east off SR 23A. Turn north onto O'Hara Road and travel 2.5 miles to the campground entrance.

Campground was closed which made getting to the trail head a bit tricky as everything was poorly marked. Still a nice stroll around north/south lake. Once on the trail everything was very well marked and the views were beautiful and well earned. Some of the rock scrambling, especially if you divert up to north point, can be tricky, but not too difficult. Highly recommend to anyone looking for sweeping views of the Hudson Valley.

This was a beautiful trail and the views were amazing. Artist's Rock is breathtaking, and you reach it almost instantly. Took my 10 year old. The parking lots closer to the trail were closed, so we ended up having to walk from the western most tip of South Lake to the trail. That added a few more miles to our trip, so we were over 7 miles.
For us, the Blue trail was easy. It was relatively flat, and then you would reach steep, but doable areas to climb. It was beautiful, and we loved it.
North Point was a bit steep (300 ft in .3 miles), but the view is worth it.
We took the red trail (Mary's Glen Trail) back down. While it was stunning, it was hard for me (as I have problematic knees and ankles). It was very rocky almost all the way down. I should probably have taken blue back down, and will again next time I go.
Overall, it was a hike that should not be missed. I am not a very experienced hiker, and I have a good amount weight to lose, but it is doable, even with a 10 year old. Just take your time.

This trail was good, but definitely not the best. Great views, slightly tough with dog on a few steep climbs.

My girlfriend and I started on the blue trail from the North lake parking lot. Followed this trail to Artist rock, Sunset rock (blue trail to yellow trail for Sunset rock), Newman’s ledge and North point/North mountain ledge, then took Mary’s Glen (Red trail) back which brought us to North lake Rd about 3/4 of a mile north from the main parking lot. After that we walked just south of the parking lot to the Overlook mountain house site. Everything was about 6.6 miles and 4hrs at a conservative pace with time to enjoy each lookout. Trails were pretty easy with a decent amount of short inclines, and not annoying crowded for a Saturday between the hours of 9:30 - 1:30.