Learn more

Artists Rock and Sunset Rock via Escarpment Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(135)
Catskill State Park

Artists Rock and Sunset Rock via Escarpment Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hunter, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 328 feet Route Type: Loop

Lovely trail with multiple amazing overlooks of the Hudson Valley. If I do it again I would definitely do it counter clockwise to get the full effect of Artist’s Rock. The trail runs alongside a creek for the last two-ish miles so expect it to get buggy.

Great trail

Great trail! I’d say it’s more low moderate than easy. From the parking lot it’s a mile and a half walk down to the trail. The views at Sunset Peak were the best!

Great hike! Parking was doable at 10:15 on a Saturday. So many great views. We took the route north first to North Point and headed East and south from there. it felt relatively flat the way we came. With a few ascents and descents. But you can see for miles and miles. The camp grounds are closed but you can walk along the lake. It’s quite nice!

Went this past weekend (6/12 -6/14) for two nights. The lake and waterfall are closed still but you can still park your car overnight at the parking lot on North Lake Road. We hiked the Escarpment trail and it was moderate and well maintained. We then hiked all the way too Blackhead Mountain and it’s pretty steep after Dutcher Notch. Best part of the hike is North Point which is much easier on the knees. Overall, a great location.

What a beautiful fun trail!! We have wanted to do this one for a while. The lots were all closed but today we were able to park close enough and walk in to the trail head. It added maybe 1.5 miles to hike. The views today were beautiful! We were lucky and just about had the mountains to ourselves. We passed two small groups all day. I highly recommend this hike!!

Picked this up as part of the larger loop including north point starting at north lake

This was the greatest trail and had the best views in the world

A good trail that gives you a variety of viewpoints all around the N/S lake area. Pretty viewpoints and easy hiking. Most of it is pretty flat with only a few slightly scrambly exceptions. As of the second week of April (2020), there’s no hard ice anywhere on the trail itself — no need for spikes anymore. Good boots are useful, though, because many places are muddy. I’m a relatively fast hiker when I’m solo, and this took me 4.5 hours of moving time. I brought a book and spent an hour on Newman’s Ledge on top. I think 7 hours is a fair estimate for even a semi-large/slow group, including breaks and lunch. Note: Kaaterskill Falls is currently closed due to COVID, but I’ve done that hike independently enough times that that wasn’t a big deal. I did a little extra exploring when close to the car and ended up (accidentally) precisely matching the listed trail distance here.

Great short hike with pretty amazing payoffs. Did this with my wife and 4yr old with no problems. A minor scramble at the beginning but mostly easy.

recorded Recording - Oct 26, 05:07 PM

absolutely looooved it !

fee

As others mentioned, $10 fee and need rabies vaccine for dog. We did Artists Rock, Sunset Rock, and Newman's Ledge. There are points where you have to climb using your hands, this can be hard with dogs or kids. But it's very doable. If it is wet at all, especially with leaves on the ground, it is very easy to slip. The trail follows a ridge along the side of the mountain for a lot of it so you get lots of views. It isnt constant uphill, plenty of flat ground so it really isnt that difficult other than the scrambles. Good views at each spot.