Arctic Lake Loop is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Afton, New York that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for walking, trail running, nature trips, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was a really beautiful trail around the lake, fairly easy and comfortable. We went with our dog and (probably because it was a chilly October day) we were almost the only people in the park. The trails could have been better marked and labeled - I wish there had been a sign post at the parking lot with a trail map, for instance, and there were a few times when we went along what looked like the trail, and was mowed, only to discover that we'd missed the turnoff twenty or thirty yards back. Not a big deal, but a blaze would have been nice!

It's been wet, so most of the trail was mushy, and in parts there was standing or running water over the trail itself. We wore regular sneakers, which will both have to go through the laundry now. Wear boots or shoes you don't mind soaking! It's also windy and colder by the lake, so if it's already a cool or windy day, you might want to dress accordingly.

On the whole, it was a lovely hike. We spent about an hour going around the loop, which was enough time to wear out our dog but not us. We'll definitely be back!

I had trouble finding the first part of the trail. I was on the yellow blaze trail, so I went a bit further than the 1.75 miles. I found the blue blazes and I ended up hiking 3 miles which was fine with me. I really enjoyed my hike. There was a lot of water in spots due to the ton of rain we've had recently. I got my feet soaked, which is all part of hiking. I highly recommend this hike. It is easy and fairly flat.

Saturday, August 20, 2016