Appalachian Trail: Bear Mountain to Harriman State Park

Appalachian Trail: Bear Mountain to Harriman State Park is a 13.5 mile out and back trail located near Tuxedo Park, New York that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice overnight spike camp experience

It is a long trail. The elevation is moderate.

Loved it great views

Monday, September 26, 2016

Good hiking! I did not hike all the way up to the tower, as I had just begun hiking last year when I did this trail on my own. Additionally, I went in March, and there was a ton of ice still on the trail, which made it more difficult. But to the midway point (which basically turned into a road), the hike was a great workout and very pretty! When I return, I will hike all the way up before the freezing weather comes!

Monday, August 29, 2016

Did this hike in April a couple of years ago. We lost track of the trail after a while, but there are so many trails going through this park that we found our way back quite soon anyway. Great view of the nuclear power plant across the river.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

We did about 3.75 miles up and down the stairs. I was upset by some garbage along the trail and some rowdy hikers. We missed the tower, because the trail wasn't well marked where it turned off to the left and we ended up on the road. That said, the scenery was absolutely beautiful looking over the Hudson Valley, the Hudson River, and the Bear Mountain Bridge area and across to Anthony's Nose.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Thanks to the trail crew who build the stairs coming off Bear Mountain.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

One of my favorite

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Wonderful hike during snow melt after big winter storm in NY 2016. Peaceful, not crowded

Monday, May 25, 2015

Monday, July 09, 2012

Beautiful hike, nice views.
A little demanding because it is a n uphill non stop.
I was upset with the garbage found along the way.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Nice hike. Not too demanding. Nice hike for the family & beginners working their way up the ranks. Nice views & wildlife.

Friday, July 16, 2010

It is a very easy hike to do it. You can easily complete it in 2 to 3 days. Even a day if you wanna get some big miles in. I started at the New York State thruway and went to bear mountain bride. Lemon squeezer comes up in about 15-30minutes. That is a really awesome thing to walk through. After that its a nice and easy walk to do. you will then pass fingerboard shelter. There is water about a quarter of a mile down a blue trail (if i remember correctly). From there you will continue along the trail. You will then come up on another shelter called William Brien Memorial Shelter. A little after that you will have to cross the palisades parkway which is considerably hard to do. Once past that you just hike up bear mountain. There is a road walk for about 10 to 15 minutes. After that its about 10 minutes to the top. Going down was a big disappointment from the erosion of the trail. This was before they opened the huge trail construction. i haven't gone onto that new part yet but i will report when i do.

This is a review of the whole Appalachian trail in Harriman-Bear mountain

Monday, May 10, 2010

This is not a demanding or long hike but absolutly beautiful to do during the fall. The color of the trees are picturess.

Monday, November 14, 2016