Appalachian Trail: Bear Mountain - Harriman State Parks - West

Appalachian Trail: Bear Mountain - Harriman State Parks - West is a 13.5 mile out and back trail located near Tuxedo Park, New York that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

Loved it great views

Good hiking! I did not hike all the way up to the tower, as I had just begun hiking last year when I did this trail on my own. Additionally, I went in March, and there was a ton of ice still on the trail, which made it more difficult. But to the midway point (which basically turned into a road), the hike was a great workout and very pretty! When I return, I will hike all the way up before the freezing weather comes!

Did this hike in April a couple of years ago. We lost track of the trail after a while, but there are so many trails going through this park that we found our way back quite soon anyway. Great view of the nuclear power plant across the river.

We did about 3.75 miles up and down the stairs. I was upset by some garbage along the trail and some rowdy hikers. We missed the tower, because the trail wasn't well marked where it turned off to the left and we ended up on the road. That said, the scenery was absolutely beautiful looking over the Hudson Valley, the Hudson River, and the Bear Mountain Bridge area and across to Anthony's Nose.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Thanks to the trail crew who build the stairs coming off Bear Mountain.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Thursday, March 03, 2016

One of my favorite

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Wonderful hike during snow melt after big winter storm in NY 2016. Peaceful, not crowded

Monday, May 25, 2015