Ampersand Mountain Trail

Ampersand Mountain Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Saranac Lake, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This hike is not one of the 46's but at 3352' Ampersand is a fun, challenging hike with great views from the top. Some steep, tough areas with rockface and some bouldering but it is well worth it.

I’ve done it twice! Nice work out with great view !

A great hike up to Ampersand Mt today and gorgeous paramount view on the top!

nice hike took under 3 hours at a moderate pace. really enjoyed the rock staircases!

Awesome hike. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a fairly adventurous climb with a breathtaking view at the peak. It’s took about 4 hours, not including lunch at the summit. Rock scrambling required, with some helpful rock “stairs” at some of the steeper sections. Limber up and wear boots with good traction.

I greatly enjoyed this hike, though I have only reached the summit of a few other mountains in the ADK, this was perhaps my favorite due to the amazing view. I did find the hike moderately challenging, though the trail was well maintained and I appreciated many stones having been moved to form "stairs" along the steep portion. If you are willing to put a moderate effort in to this hike and allow for a few rests along the way, you will almost certainly enjoy this hike. I believe that this hike took me about 4 hours to complete, including a 30 minute laze at the summit. Happy Hiking!

Great workout! And the most beautiful view you can dream of on the top!
I came before lunch and was all alone on the top.
On my way down in the afternoon I meet almost 15 people on there way op!
I prefer being all alone op there. It is a great experience.

Great hike with beautiful 360 view at the top. It doesn't seem to be used all that often and we had the top of the mountain to ourselves for an hour. extremely easy but beautiful stroll through the woods for the first half of the hike but then very steep hiking and scrambling towards the top. decently muddy but could be avoided. a little ice and snow but could also be avoided. Beware that dogs are allowed but if your dog is not an avid hiker you very well may need to carry them up certain points.

Tough hike, but the 360 degree view is well worth it. Pretty easy at the beginning, but it quickly gets rough near the summit with lots of rock scrambling and ice.

Hiked up Ampersand today (4/21) and there was definitely a good amount of snow on the trail. The trail is 2.7 miles one way with an elevation gain of 1777’. The trail starts off really easy but in areas where the snow melted, it was muddy. The hike was pretty much all slush.

After about 1.5 miles, the trail begins its elevation gain and steepens out until the very top. My only real struggle with the trail wasn’t the steepness but that it was exacerbated with the snow/ice. It would have been very difficult had I not been wearing spikes/crampons. If you misstep, you’re definitely sliding down a good 5-10ft on the snow.
Coming back down, I ended sliding down about a third of the trail because good footing was tough to get.

All that being said, the view from the top is worth it. Would do it again, no questions asked. Took about an hour and half to get to the top.

Beautiful hike! Challenging in some parts but the view is well worth it.

This trail has an easy start up until the old ranger cabin site. It gets steep after this, but very fun and challenging. This is a very good hike summer, fall or winter with 360° views. Springtime can be very muddy. There are several water sources along the way also.

Fantastic view , make sure you have snow shoes

Awesome hike!!! Winter time crampons or snowshoes a must. !!! The summit has a gorgeous 360 view. Hike takes about 4-5 hrs. Enjoy!!!

One of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever done!! Though, I am partial to the Adirondacks. The views from the summit are really exceptional!

Great hike and a little hard but manageable!

Beautiful 360 view from the top. Beautiful trail with varying terrain. The hike kicked my butt and showed my how out of shape I am but that's ok the beauty was worth the struggle.

Great hike today. The higher I went, the more I felt like I was in Narnia. Stunningly beautiful...bluebird sky, snow packed down, perfect. Super super windy at the summit. Definitely want to use microspikes. Poles with baskets are a plus, too.

Awesome sunrise hike ..

I thought this hike was difficult towards the top. Without the proper equipment the ice made it even harder. Even so- I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan on hiking Ampersand again in the near future.

Great Hike. Tough for me with little experience but well worth the struggle. be ready for a lot elevation gain like going up 200 flights of stairs. All uphill. The views are worth it. Multiple stopping points with great views.

Phenomenal views with only a bit of effort.

Amazing view this is by far a fav I will be sure to go back

Incredible 360° at the top! The trip there was challenging and tricky towards the top but doable. The trail gets pretty steep, but still fun for the dogs as well.

Great hike. Steeper and harder than expected, but amazing view at the top.

Harder than I thought it would be.

Ampersand - 5th mountain of Day 3 of my quest to complete the Saranac Lake 6er Challenge. Trail head to Summit - 1 hr 45 minutes moderate pace. From the trail head to the second brook the trail is fairly easy and enjoyable until you reach the boulder staircase from hell. Quite steep, muddy, wet, lots of tree roots and boulders which made the climb much more challenging as you systematically plot your path upward while navigating huge boulders and obstacles, but fun. As you approach the open rock face follow the yellow arrows to the summit. The 360 views at the top are all worth it. Enjoy!!!! Before leaving the parking lot across the highway from the trail head I recommend checking out the sandy beach at Middle Saranac Lake it's only .6 miles each way. Another nice photo opportunity.

Completed this trail 2 days ago. Trail is found across the road from the designated parking area. The first mile is pretty easy with a couple small bridges to cross. After about a mile on the trail the incline begins. As you climb, the rocks are placed like a stairway but at times is difficult to follow going up. Coming down is much easier to follow. As you get closer to the top, the trail is not marked well. There was a large boulder I thought I needed to climb over but the trail went left instead of right. The way it looked the trail could have went either way. I thought this was a physically demanding hike and would consider myself fairly in shape. Also, closer to the summit, the mud was in abundance. It took me just over 2 hours to complete going up and an hour to go down. The views as you arrive to the peak are breathtaking! 360 views plus the fall leaves made for some amazing photos!

Realy nice climb up, easy first half, the second half got pretty challenging. Going down is much much easier than going up, and the 360 view on top is amazing. Definitely a significant challenge if you aren't in shape.

Amazing view. Camped on the summit and seen the Milky Way. Tough hike with a 50lb pack

Great changes in terrain. Starts off slow and easy and ends with scrambling. Fantastic views! Absolutely 5 star!