Ampersand Mountain Trail

Ampersand Mountain Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Saranac Lake, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This hike is not one of the 46's but at 3352' Ampersand is a fun, challenging hike with great views from the top. Some steep, tough areas with rockface and some bouldering but it is well worth it.

48 minutes ago

fantastic hike! we started the hike with light rain and it was not bad at all. The last mile is definitely steep enough to exhaust anybody. we are lucky that no rain at all at the summit and the cloud was blown away at times to show the lakes and high peaks which was so enjoyable. During the descend we were hit by heavy rain and the trail got very slippery but it was so much fun!

Great 1/2 day hike. Take the dogs but keep them on a leash. After the hike go across the road and enjoy the lake.

loved this thaaang

My last of the Saranac Lake 6er and my new favorite hike! Awesome views and the perfect day for a hike

It was a challange today. Hiked it for the first time with my daughter. Top 1/3 of trail had a fair amount of ice, snow and mud. The view was worth the slog.

We hiked 4/15 with small determined dog and the ice sheets were formidable before the very top. Micro-spikes would have helped. The slippery mud was a slide fest coming down and the verticality almost torqued the thigh meat off this old man's femurs. Views were spectacular from the top and made the suffering worthwhile. Be in shape next time.

First timers be aware, this trail is not well blazed. Today - spring-like for the first 2/3rds. Warm, soft mud, etc. Upper elevations still icy, with some mashed potato snow. Sketchy at the handful of aggressive spots, but otherwise great conditions. A classic...

We finished up our Winter 6er challenge in Ampersand and it was as beautiful as everyone said it was! The trail head is located across the road. There is a short trail to the lake from the lot, but it was too cold for us to visit that day. It was a chilly day with lots of sunshine. The first mile or so was pretty flat and a nice warmup for the steeper sections coming up.

We used micro spikes the whole way. There were a few icy scrambles toward the top, but nothing too treacherous.

The views from the summit are incredible! It's easily one of my favorite climbs. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

It took us 4 hours and 36 minutes at a pretty leisurely pace, with as much time at the summit as we could bare with the cold and wind gusts. After we left the trail, we headed to the bell to ring it for completing the challenge!

First mountain climb I’ve done. What an amazing experience. It took me 4 hours round trip, depends on your fitness level you could add or take time off, and I’m not very fit. The only negative is that depending on the time of day the trail can be congested. Bring gloves (some rock climbing) and a jacket (top is usually windy). The last mile seems to just be nothing put elevation. Put the view wow so worth it.

geocaching

Not very difficult. Trail was very muddy and slick at parts. There was one part where I had to figure out maneuvering up a rock face with the baby on my back but we managed. Great view!

Great hike, not so hard and point of view is awesome!