Allen Mountain Trail

Allen Mountain Trail is a 17.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tahawus, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mt Allen (#26 on ADK 46'er list @4,340ft) is very difficult mainly because of how long it is. 18 miles round trip. This is a pretty unfulfilling hike with not many great views. However, you will have a few stories once you finish it. After signing in, you'll follow the path down to the Hudson River. You'll cross a suspension bridge and continue another few minutes to Lake Jimmy. There is a detour around the lake but if you look you can see pieces of the old bridge still floating around. Continue on the path to the old Ranger building. Feel free to check it out. Stay on the old road till you come up to a carin and turn left. There is an arrow marked on a nearby tree stay straight and follow yellow markers on the trees. You'll come up to an old red gate, jumped and continue on. At about 4 miles in, you'll need to cross a river. There is no bridge and depending on the water level you might be able to jump rocks just 100 feet up river. Bring water shoes if you decide to ford it. For the next 1.5 miles its pretty narrow and overgrown but easy to follow. You'll pass a sign for Mt Marcy, just keep going past it and you'll run into a sign for Allen and a yellow arrow pointing the way. 5.25 miles in, you'll come to a road and some arrows on trees, go left and you'll see a gravel parking lot on the right. At the end of the parking lot is a second trail register. Sign in and continue on. From here, it starts the unmarked trail. Still pretty easy to follow, you'll cross a few streams, and pass a few water falls. One waterfall is marked by a cairn and this indicates 1 mile to the summit. It's very steep and slippery so be careful. Once on the summit, there is a small clearing and Allen Mountain sign. Then just follow it back down when your ready. Good Luck.

The first half of the trail is relatively flat but oh so much mud and bog to skirt! Made for a lot of hopping and even fighting through thick bush around a deep swamp. After the second register the trail is more soft and pleasant, but the last mile is very steep and slippery. I fell at least 3 times, twice hard, and once scraped up my arm pretty well. There is a nice view a few steps further from summit. We sat for 40 minutes eating bagels with cream cheese and salmon, followed by chocolate cake and coffee. We then chatted with a group of 4 men we'd been leap-frogging all morning. All in all an hour on top, which is long and luxurious for us! It took about 4.5 hours up and 4 down.

Allen felt very much like Seymour over in the Sewards, just add about 6 miles to its length. I had been pushing this hike all year trying to do it with a few days of dry conditions and low water levels. Attempting it in early September it was a perfect day with the leaves changing, temps hovering in the high 50's-low 60's, and for how much I wanted to dislike the hike due to its length I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Yes my feet were a little worn by the time I finished but it was definitely a pleasant experience.

If you plan on doing this hike as a single day outing, definitely set aside some time for this one. Not realizing how far the trail head was from Lake placid, I had started later than I had hoped @ 9:15am. I had estimated I had a good 10 hours until sunset- finished in 9 hours and 50 minutes. Try not to cut it as close as I did if you can.

Trails are very easy to follow as the first 5 miles are on an old road. The herd path after the 2nd reg. box was at times even easier to navigate than the DEC trail. Just keep close eye on the trail as you ascend in the last 1 mile. Stay to the right of the river as you ascend-then to the left as you reach the last (and steepest) summit scramble- Its pretty obvious for the most part but with leaf cover like I experienced- it can make it easier to lose.

*Note* The gentleman who had mentioned the red moss on the slabs as you ascend Allen was 100% correct. Very slippery as I had pulled a Charlie Brown on the way down.

*Note* As of September 2017, unlike what the original write up for the hike states, there is now in fact a 2nd suspension bridge at the 4 mile mark- no fording necessary

Allen was tough only because it is a long hike. Many miles of mostly flat and then you gain all the elevation in last 2-3 miles. I did not think this was as tough as many other High Peaks, though, in terms of actual difficulty climbing. We hiked this as a backpack trip. Hiked in roughly 6 miles from Upper Works to Allen Trailhead. Stayed at the junction to Allen and Marcy and set up tents on an old truck road. We hiked Allen Saturday then Marshall Sunday through Flowed Lands then hiked out Monday. All in all, a good hike. This was 41/46 Peaks hiked for me. Recommend as backpacking trip versus day trip if you are a slower hiker or want to enjoy the hike without worrying about time. Nice views along the hike including a waterfall. Views at the top past the wooded summit.

It's a myth that Allen has no views! There are certainly some vantage points along the trail and just beyond the summit. The newly opened logging roads are easy as cake, though the final ascent is steep and slippery. It's a long day, with beautiful flowers and sore feet.

Unless you need a real challenge or one of your 46 peaks pass on Allen. Last mile is formidable but rewarding. Few photo ops. Even the Ranger said Allen is "brutal"

This was an interesting one. I felt like I was doing two trails 1) a walk in the woods, and 2) running as fast as you can up a wet slide. Feeling very accomplished though after completing.

July 2017: This was a really tough climb due to 5 days of rain that preceded our hike. The entire "easy" part of hiking to the mountain on relatively flat ground was not so easy. Bogs, mud and a heavily flooded trail forced us to practically bushwhack every 100 feet or so. It made the first 6 miles very slow and arduous. The trail up Allen was very steep for the last 3/4 of a mile and lots of slippery slides to navigate - due to all the recent rain. Under normal conditions this would have been a wonderful climb, albeit long. It has great views from the top about 35 feet beyond the actual top. On the Marcy side of the mountain. We hit the trail at 7:20am, reached the summit around 2:45 and ended back at the parking lot just before dark at 8:45pm. Once again, our slow speed was due to the bogs and mud along the way. I highly recommend avoiding this trail right after significant rainfall but would be happy to climb it again after several days of dry weather. It's really a beautiful trip the entire way. Just make sure you bring a flashlight, just in case!

Allen has a bad name for being a "hard" hike. It's a longer hike for the Adirondacks but isn't to awful in my opinion. Be careful on the redslime once making your way up the slide and you'll be okay. Enjoy

Great view. Faaaaar. Went with Todd n Frank. Last mile we ran top speed because of lightning. Crazy scary. But good way to cool off!

This was an easy hike for the first 6 miles before you had to start climbing to the summit. The insects were horrible even with spray on.

Long day, hiked 10:30 hours, great views along the trail. Started 7:00 am and summited 1:00 pm, used snowshoes and crampons. Great day, no winds, sunny and clear. Some part of trail were hard because of Thawing conditions.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Hiked out and planned to stay the night near the peak, and then summit the next morning. If something doesn't go wrong, then it's not an adventure...My brand new tent came with no poles, which was easy enough to over come with some rope. The hard part to beat was - no rain fly! We camped about a mile from the peak and the weather was good until about 3:30 am. Rain and wind, three of us had to sleep underneath the tent. Worst trip, for me, so far.
The hike was good though. The trail is easy and nearly flat until you get to the base of the mountain. I'll be back!

Monday, July 04, 2016

nice waterfalls, great birding spot, and an all around good full day workout. start around 6 am when you have full daylight hours. very remote, so pack extra water and plan to stay overnight if you get tired.

Sunday, June 05, 2016