Allen Mountain Trail

Allen Mountain Trail is a 17.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newcomb, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 17.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,497 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Mt Allen (#26 on ADK 46'er list @4,340ft) is very difficult mainly because of how long it is. 18 miles round trip. This is a pretty unfulfilling hike with not many great views. However, you will have a few stories once you finish it. After signing in, you'll follow the path down to the Hudson River. You'll cross a suspension bridge and continue another few minutes to Lake Jimmy. There is a detour around the lake but if you look you can see pieces of the old bridge still floating around. Continue on the path to the old Ranger building. Feel free to check it out. Stay on the old road till you come up to a carin and turn left. There is an arrow marked on a nearby tree stay straight and follow yellow markers on the trees. You'll come up to an old red gate, jumped and continue on. At about 4 miles in, you'll need to cross a river. There is no bridge and depending on the water level you might be able to jump rocks just 100 feet up river. Bring water shoes if you decide to ford it. For the next 1.5 miles its pretty narrow and overgrown but easy to follow. You'll pass a sign for Mt Marcy, just keep going past it and you'll run into a sign for Allen and a yellow arrow pointing the way. 5.25 miles in, you'll come to a road and some arrows on trees, go left and you'll see a gravel parking lot on the right. At the end of the parking lot is a second trail register. Sign in and continue on. From here, it starts the unmarked trail. Still pretty easy to follow, you'll cross a few streams, and pass a few water falls. One waterfall is marked by a cairn and this indicates 1 mile to the summit. It's very steep and slippery so be careful. Once on the summit, there is a small clearing and Allen Mountain sign. Then just follow it back down when your ready. Good Luck.

Fricken awesome day. GPS hit 19.4 miles in 07h 06m. Challenging mentally and physically. It’s very wet right now because of the snow melt. I hike a lot so do not use my time for reference. I would say 12+ hours for the average hiker. I also don’t recommend this if you don’t know how to properly follow a herd path it’s very easy to get lost. Challenging day with a great reward. Number 21 for me. -Andrew N. (21/46)

19.4 miles in 12 hours. Started at 6:50am and got out at 6:50 pm. Worked out perfectly so we didn’t have to hike in the dark at all, hiking in at sunrise and out at sunset. Very diverse terrain- rocky at times, very deep mud for a lot of the trail. Pretty flat for the majority of the hike. The last mile up was killer- very slippery and steep. The descent was worse. No view at the summit but beautiful lookouts close by. Kicked our butts! Also the wooden bridge was SUPER slippery even though it didn’t look it, since the temp was just below freezing when we went across in the AM. Just beware of that since there really isn’t any forgiveness for a fall on that bridge.

This was my first high peak, agreed to go in a group where someone was on 42, destroyed me but feels good to have completed it. The overall length and last mile climb/decent made this extremely difficult for me. It was a sunny but cold day for this season at around 25 degrees. A good part of the hike in is fairly flat but was very muddy. Last mile was a challenge, had to scramble up and around some slippery slides after a long trek to that point. There was a pretty sweet view at the lookout on top, and leaves were in full swing. On the way down fell on my ass three times from ice/slime. After all that still had 8 miles back to the car and was completely spent. Took us almost 14hrs total and went 20.4 miles, I guess zigzagging a little and losing the trail a few times from fallen leave cover really added up. One hour of darkness with headlamps at beginning and end, but that part of the trail is easy.

It’s a good trail. Little mud great condition. Easy going till you get to the base of Allen then it’s straight up to the summit. Be careful around the exposed red rock pretty slippery. Overall I would only recommend doing this one if you are trying to be a 46er. 9/21/19

Awsome hike! Super challenging, very slipery too!

9/7/19 I found Allen to be beautiful. Very nice trail to the beginning of real climbing, good bridges and shaded all the way. The slide was tricky: slippery in spots and worse in the descent since it rained subsequent to our ascent. It was more like a waterfall going down. A great view about 90 percent of the way up. Clouded and no view due to the rain. There was a very broad beaver dam, just past what looked like an old, abandoned floating bridge, by Lake Jimmy, I think, and we had to crawl or scramble around it through thick brush and fallen, rotten trees. It, the dam, was an interesting sight. A massive amount water had collected behind it. Challenging ascent and a difficult descent. Fun.

My son and I did this as our 37th in our push for 46er status. We’ve done long hikes before. The length isn’t the issue as the long, flat parts are varied with views of lakes, beaver damn, an old ranger cabin. And there’s a nice sit-all-the-way-in-and-splash-yourself-wet place just before the incline starts. The issue is the last mile...even the last 2,000 ft with the 1,200 foot vertical rise! And the sheer, open, rock face climbing for that last bit. Impressive on the way up, shockingly severe on the way down. Yeesh. We did it on a dry day after a dry week (highly recommended) in 14+ hours with a long break at the peak (1.5 hours), and a couple long-ish breaks at the bathing stream and at the Marcy sign in each direction. Out felt long, but not mind-numbing (we hate the road by Ausable Club). 25 people signed the trail register the day we hiked. And the view at the top is spectacular. Don’t let anyone tell you different!

Took us about 10 hrs with an hour break at the summit. Not too bad of a hike because it’s flat for a long time!

Trail was definitely a long one. Not so bad going in but coming back it was a never ending trek from the new bridge to the cabins. The slide was a workout but not too bad. Got lucky, most of the slide was dry. The views were amazing. It took my 12 year old and myself 9 hours round trip. He did great.